Author Topic: Grey Goo  (Read 15677 times)

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
Re: Grey Goo
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2016, 03:52:42 am »
are there any channels were I can watch matches of this game? I prefer watching rts to playing them(the last one I actually played was supreme commander 1 and I was the utter worst at it) and this game looks incredibly interesting (a transport that fires its units for instance that's a first for sure).
Check out the official Grey Goo Youtube channel managed by the company.

https://www.youtube.com/user/greygoogame/playlists

So far they have 4 tournaments posted in playlist format.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2016, 03:58:19 am »
are there any channels were I can watch matches of this game? I prefer watching rts to playing them(the last one I actually played was supreme commander 1 and I was the utter worst at it) and this game looks incredibly interesting (a transport that fires its units for instance that's a first for sure).

Hmm, thanks, I'll keep my eye on this. I've kinda lost my RTS tournament media lately and Grey Goo might be something to cut my teeth on.
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2016, 05:58:55 pm »

thanks twitch tends to stutter to death when I'm trying to watch past broadcasts on twitch.
c.r

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2016, 07:06:58 pm »
If any of you RTS fans haven't gotten around to trying Grey Goo, I'd recommend picking it up with the most recent Humble Bundle. $12 for the game plus a whole slew of other interesting strategy titles. Pretty great deal if you ask me.

https://www.humblebundle.com/jumbo-bundle-6
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2016, 09:05:47 pm »
I already saw it on my newsletter, I'm currently waiting for my monthly income to come by (it takes some time this month) and will then purchase it. Grey Goo for 12$ (less in Germany, as always) with all it's DLCs sounds pretty good to me. I skipped it when it was on the sale for 50% reduction and now I'm glad because that's a lot lower plkus I got a lot of other games with it. Hooray!

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2016, 10:31:26 pm »
Is the single player fun?

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2016, 10:46:22 pm »
I've had a lot of people sample the single player campaign (pretty much all my friends own it), and have had nothing but good things to say. The cinematic cutscenes are top-notch, and the story itself is interesting (if not life-changing). The missions are usually pretty fast-paced as well. It's better than your average RTS campaign as far as gameplay goes, but nothing spectacular either.

As far as the Skirmish AI, there are many different difficulties to chose from (some of which cheat blatantly), so that should offer plenty of challenge in that regard.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2016, 10:48:44 pm »
I've played one campaign mission and a fragment of a multiplayer (coop vs. ai) game and I recommend the game. I just haven't had time to play any more of it.

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2016, 11:49:27 pm »
But it looks so slow!
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2016, 12:12:48 am »
But it looks so slow!
In terms of the multiplayer, the games are actually really fast. I'm not sure what you're basing your first impression on, but I honestly challenge you to find a faster-pace RTS in terms of game length or percentage of the game you actually spend fighting. It tends to be a bloodbath.

Offline WingedKagouti

« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2016, 08:39:33 am »
But it looks so slow!
I picked it up in the Humble Bundle, and my pace in RTS games is fairly slow and methodical and even I complete the longer campaign missions in 30-45 minutes at most (with the "Hunt down every last Mother Goo" ones taking the longest). As a comparison, several of the StarCraft/BroodWar missions took me 1 hour or more and SupCom1 missions were even slower.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2016, 11:27:41 am »
But it looks so slow!
So play Starcraft? Grey Goo is for another type of RTS gamer entirely. The one that does not like twitch skills, activatable abilities and obsessive microing.

Okay, less obnoxious reply here:
It only looks slow because unit movement it slow. The game itself can be surprisingly fast paced and games are very often over within 20-30 minutes tops in multiplayer. The slow unit movement forces you to make real strategic choices as you can't easily adapt to enemy movements, increasing the value of up-to-date intel on enemy movements. Very much like Surpreme Commander.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 11:30:02 am by Mánagarmr »
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2016, 02:15:03 pm »
It may appear slow from gameplay trailers, but I assure you it's not. I think Man was even being lenient on the average game duration. Many games are over in less than 5 minutes. Goo rush is an incredibly effective strategy.

This is coming from a person who played Starcraft2 ranked and achieved Diamond for a time. The game unfolds very quickly, even faster than Starcraft did, but its design is much more centered around strategy and out maneuvering your opponent than micromanagement and build orders.

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2016, 05:20:48 pm »

The campaign is reasonable but flawed. Story is a bit....lets just say there's holes in the writing. It's enjoyable enough if you take it at face value. As for the missions themselves, they've got a pretty nice variety to them but the difficulty is rather high even on easy. It could be better but it could also be worse.

As for the multiplayer, Wingflier and Managarmr said what I would have said.
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2016, 06:12:08 pm »
The campaign is reasonable but flawed. Story is a bit....lets just say there's holes in the writing. It's enjoyable enough if you take it at face value. As for the missions themselves, they've got a pretty nice variety to them but the difficulty is rather high even on easy. It could be better but it could also be worse.
I think the reason why it's flawed is because it feels rushed. It doesn't take its time to dive into the personalities and motivations of characters beyond the skin-deep stereotype so some acts or decisions by characters are rather weird and seemingly "out of character".
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk