Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (2012)  (Read 39736 times)

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
XCOM: Enemy Unknown (2012)
« on: September 02, 2012, 08:58:42 am »
Webpage

I've been carefully enthused by this project ever since it was announced. I've cheered, I've cried and I've raged as more info has been released (squad limit, one base etc etc), but the closer to release it comes, the more excited I get. This livestream has me literally salivating. It looks like they've managed to keep all the tension, excitment and danger of the original in a new suit. The only things, at this point, that has me feeling apprehensive is that aliens seem to be static and "spawn" when detected, but the devs speaking of it seems to indicate that they are indeed there, doing their stuff "in the dark". So that might just be my scepticism. The other thing is that the map sizes seem to be rather small, but perhaps they have only showed off the small maps yet.

I won't even talk about the "other" XCOM, because quite frankly, it doesn't even deserve mentioning :/

How do you feel about this? Is it a guaranteed purchase? Preorder? "Won't touch it with a 10ft pole"?
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (2012)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 10:28:18 am »
Yes, I have very fond memories of the original XCOM, and this spiritual successor/remake looks like it has all the good parts of it while still modernizing the series. Looks great.

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 01:10:08 pm »
Yep, we discussed this game in this thread http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,10644.0.html awhile ago.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 01:18:30 pm »
Yep, we discussed this game in this thread http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,10644.0.html awhile ago.
We did indeed. That thread was, however, dedicated to Xenonauts, even if XCOM was mentioned.

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 02:43:36 pm »
My main worry is 2K. They don't rate very high on the "trusted publisher" list for PC games. I think if we are going to have any issues at this point, it will be from them.
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 02:54:11 pm »
My main worry is 2K. They don't rate very high on the "trusted publisher" list for PC games. I think if we are going to have any issues at this point, it will be from them.
To be frank, I can't remember any derps they've made recently. But then again, I don't trust any publisher so...Remind me?

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 03:31:13 pm »
To be frank, I can't remember any derps they've made recently. But then again, I don't trust any publisher so...Remind me?

They published Duke Nukem Forever.

*shudders*.

There are other things, but I can't remember these days. I'd have to check. But 2K isn't known for publishing great games too often.
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 03:34:32 pm »
There are other things, but I can't remember these days. I'd have to check. But 2K isn't known for publishing great games too often.
Was not GTA published by 2K? GTA was great.

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 03:36:17 pm »
Was not GTA published by 2K? GTA was great.

Grand theft auto (I assume that's what you meant) is published by Rockstar Games.

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 03:37:28 pm »
Grand theft auto (I assume that's what you meant) is published by Rockstar Games.

Ah, I got them mixed up.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 03:39:45 pm »

*shudders*.

Uh yeah...why anyone wanted to publish THAT abomination is beyond me. But that, per se, doesn't make them a bad publisher. A bad publisher is something like EA, Activison or Ubisoft that actively hurts their customers.

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 03:44:45 pm »

*shudders*.

Uh yeah...why anyone wanted to publish THAT abomination is beyond me. But that, per se, doesn't make them a bad publisher. A bad publisher is something like EA, Activison or Ubisoft that actively hurts their customers.

I would say publishing a game that is that horribly broken/terrible is harmful because your selling a bad product. I seem to recall people raised some hell about someone publishing a 4X game as a final game when it was really in broken beta state. So yes, 2K is actively hurting their customers with DNF. In my opinion.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 03:46:27 pm »
I think you are colored by lots of bad reviews. DNF wasn't a bad game. Not worse than Halo or any of the CoD games. It just wasn't Duke Nukem. Nor were the story engaging and the humor was bland. But as far as shooters go, there was nothing wrong with it. Unimaginative? Sure. Bland? Absolutely? Bad game? Not necessarily.

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 03:47:09 pm »
Thanks to good ole wikipedia, it seems Rockstar and 2K are owned by the same parent company.

I didn't see anything that really stood out as having a bad rep (besides DNF) when I looked at their games list. Darkness, Bioshock, Borderlands, and Civ are most of their recent games.

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 03:53:48 pm »
Thanks to good ole wikipedia, it seems Rockstar and 2K are owned by the same parent company.

I didn't see anything that really stood out as having a bad rep (besides DNF) when I looked at their games list. Darkness, Bioshock, Borderlands, and Civ are most of their recent games.

That would explain why the two logos look vaguely similar. Hmm.

Ok, maybe I'm being harsh, but I seem to recall them doing something. Guess I need to do some research.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk