Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (2012)  (Read 39846 times)

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (2012)
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2012, 12:35:08 am »
Aside from having to pay extra on steam and no where else for the preorders, how is it different then tiered pre order rewards with kickstarters?
On Kickstarter, there isn't the notion of "Hey, we know everyone else isn't doing this, but...", because no one really puts up thier project onto multiple crowdfundings at once, paypal notwithstanding.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2012, 12:39:37 am »
Aside from having to pay extra on steam and no where else for the preorders, how is it different then tiered pre order rewards with kickstarters?
On Kickstarter, there isn't the notion of "Hey, we know everyone else isn't doing this, but...", because no one really puts up thier project onto multiple crowdfundings at once, paypal notwithstanding.

If there were more then one popular kickstarter like sites and a game did both, yet pooled their money together for rewards and things, would they be the same then as 2K's current plan of offering additional things if you pay more money?
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2012, 12:47:04 am »
Do the two sites have seperate tiers?

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2012, 12:52:51 am »
Yes, the two sites have different mechanics to somehow differentiate each other in their relationships with the companies they serve, but for the funder on the surface both offer tiers from a basic. Somewhat like how Planetary Annihilation offers tiers from "get this game" to "get early access to this game" to " get exclusive things you can't get elsewhere" to "meet some of the staff!"
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2012, 02:16:00 am »

Despite the devs saying that if you pre-ordered the game you would get this bonus, you instead had to get X amount of people to pre-order the game in order to get your pre-order bonus. This is a slap in the face to Steam players because if you buy the game anywhere else, you get that pre-order bonus automatically, no work involved. This move feels like 2K forcing us to do their advertising for them and its just really incredibly annoying for the publisher to pull moves like this. I, and probably Fox, hate being lied to.
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2012, 02:26:51 am »
Gotcha, very distasteful.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2012, 04:45:06 am »
Yeah, it's not the tiered bonus system per se. It's the fact that everyone gets this bonus automatically, and every preorder to date got the preorder bonus, aside from Steam customers (in spite of being promised the bonus on their website). We have to "earn it". That drives me nuts.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2012, 07:21:57 am »
Christ. They did a 180 on the bonus, but I'm angry enough to cancel my preorder. Screw them, I'll get it somewhere else. Man, this made me angry.

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2012, 01:14:21 pm »
I watched some of the video they've released, man it looks so awesome.

The whole tiered preorder thing is really unfortunate and leaves me scratching my head. It is not a trend I want to see starting either. I wonder if it's valve's idea or theirs.

Incidentally, being a PR/community manager for one of those big evil companies must be a pretty crummy job. You have to listen to everybody talk "stuff" without really being able to actually do anything but damage control for boneheaded decisions from on high.

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2012, 01:50:22 pm »
You know what a crummy job is? THIS IS:

WEED SPRAYING-WILDING TREE CONTROL

GroundSpray are looking to hire staff for the coming Spring/Summer season controlling terrestrial weeds in DOC estates, Crown Lands & private farms. Based in Gore we cover an area from Tekapo to Bluff

We require personnel with “can do” attitudes that will work in harsh, steep and inhospitable conditions

You will be

• Very Fit

• Have a full driver’s license.

• Have a passion for conservation and the outdoors

• Be a NON SMOKER-

• Be prepared to work weekends (happily)

• Be prepared to work long hours (12+ a day)

• Be prepared to work away from home Mon-Fri

• Be prepared to sleep in huts, tents, woolsheds, under trees etc.

• Able to wash, use deodorant and keep your personal hygiene to an acceptable level, This may mean washing/showering in cold water.

This Job is not for wimpy, feint hearted, soft, “run to mummy” halfwits with pants halfway down their bottoms! We only want staff that will do as they are told by their supervisors, follow company rules and can put up with being wet, hot, cold, exhausted, hungry and thirsty, you also need to be able to sit in a van for three hours and not complain to us. (We don’t listen & we don’t care)

You need to be of a stature that you can walk around hills and bluffs, and climb in and out of small helicopters without terrifying the pilot.

If this sounds like you, then you’re probably completely mad and we would love to have you

Please phone one the below phone number to arrange an interview. NO TEXTS.

Comparing to this, community manager's job is basically free money.

By the way, this is a real ad, they've changed wording since then, but the vacancy is still up here: http://www.seek.co.nz/job/22989181

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2012, 02:37:09 pm »
Well to be fair, there are plenty of crummy jobs out there.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2012, 05:51:23 pm »
Well at least they aren't sugar coating it. Except they then didn't have the steel to keep up the ad, which just makes me think "They are honest that the job sucks" to "They just suck".
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Bossman

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2012, 03:14:18 am »
So I went down to my local GameStop to pre-order this for the XBox 360, and while I was chatting with one of the employees about the pre-order bonus, the one ringing up my sale asked "Did you want Enemy Unknown, or the one coming out next year?"

My face when

Damn it, 2K Marin, rename your stupid "Xenoshock" already.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 03:16:35 am by Bossman »

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2012, 08:23:45 am »
Just got an email from Green Man Gaming with my key. Added it to Steam and download started. Not long before this unlocks. Excited!

Offline orzelek

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2012, 11:28:11 am »
Lucky you... we have it unlocked on 11th and since I got box it will be actually 12th probably.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk