Author Topic: desiring more story content  (Read 4435 times)

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
Re: desiring more story content
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 10:28:09 pm »
there's going to be more story? sweet! I had the impression that story was going to get forgotten about after the bad news and the Rodney thread personally id love an archive to find out more about just everything really. ps there's an expansion coming already? that wow that was pretty quick
Sure. It's stuff that was cut from the original release, but earmarked for post-release. If the game did better... well.  :'(

Anyway, here's hoping it becomes a worthwhile investment. I had a lot of fun coming up with the story.

Cool, good to know. I like the voice work I've heard so far. Even outside of the main story, I think it'd be satisfying to gradually fill out an archive of tangential lore across multiple runs, collecting bits and pieces of the puzzle scattered around.
And here's hoping I get the chance to do something like this. Shoot me a message about what you're most curious about and I'll see what I can do to answer your questions in game.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 10:41:05 pm »
We actually have a huge amount of voice work as well as written work waiting, but not part of the game yet.  It may wind up being part of the first expansion at this point, because it's a lot of stuff!
Please don't put the story in another expansion. You may take parts of it or an extended lore of it in the expansion but putting up a whole expansion just for the story is a bad move.
This won't give you more sales that you need, trust me. Gamers hate nothing more than DLCs that they consider as part of the main game. And story should be part of the main game, at least the major amount of it.

You may however extent the story into the next game. I still suspect that Rodney will turn out as rogue AI/robot that has been imprisoned there on purpose and in his attempt to flee he led to the whole "stuck in the side of a star" situation.
All the robots you encounter may eaither be inmates or (like the Warden) guardians of the prisoner ship. And Rodney might be the final boss of the expansion. We will see.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2016, 10:43:46 pm »
We actually have a huge amount of voice work as well as written work waiting, but not part of the game yet.  It may wind up being part of the first expansion at this point, because it's a lot of stuff!
Please don't put the story in another expansion. You may take parts of it or an extended lore of it in the expansion but putting up a whole expansion just for the story is a bad move.
This won't give you more sales that you need, trust me. Gamers hate nothing more than DLCs that they consider as part of the main game. And story should be part of the main game, at least the major amount of it.

You may however extent the story into the next game. I still suspect that Rodney will turn out as rogue AI/robot that has been imprisoned there on purpose and in his attempt to flee he led to the whole "stuck in the side of a star" situation.
All the robots you encounter may eaither be inmates or (like the Warden) guardians of the prisoner ship. And Rodney might be the final boss of the expansion. We will see.
wait why would inmates be allowed to carry deadly weaponry around?!.
c.r

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2016, 10:44:04 pm »

(sticking with a theme here)

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 10:44:39 pm »
there's going to be more story? sweet! I had the impression that story was going to get forgotten about after the bad news and the Rodney thread personally id love an archive to find out more about just everything really. ps there's an expansion coming already? that wow that was pretty quick
Sure. It's stuff that was cut from the original release, but earmarked for post-release. If the game did better... well.  :'(

Anyway, here's hoping it becomes a worthwhile investment. I had a lot of fun coming up with the story.

Cool, good to know. I like the voice work I've heard so far. Even outside of the main story, I think it'd be satisfying to gradually fill out an archive of tangential lore across multiple runs, collecting bits and pieces of the puzzle scattered around.
And here's hoping I get the chance to do something like this. Shoot me a message about what you're most curious about and I'll see what I can do to answer your questions in game.
hey so I know you didn't direct that question at me but I'm going to send you a message my self full of questions.
c.r

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2016, 10:45:33 pm »
hey so I know you didn't direct that question at me but I'm going to send you a message my self full of questions.
It was an open invitation.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2016, 10:51:03 pm »

The expansion isnt going to be JUST about story.   There should be plenty to appeal to all sorts of players.

Offline Bluddy

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2016, 10:54:31 pm »
I don't know if Chris saw my suggestion from the other thread, but my recommendation would be starting an Early Access expanded game in a little while. At minimum, buyers would get SR, so you're not breaking any big promises if you can't eventually materialize the expanded content. The advantages are that
a. There's time to get the word out.
b. You get to try out Early Access in a safe way.
c. You get another launch when the expanded content is done.
d. You get cash early (this should be the first point actually).
e. You get full credit for the post-release support which you're so good at.

Much safer and better IMO than trying for a regular expansion, which completely depends on the success of the first game.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2016, 10:56:34 pm »
I don't know if Chris saw my suggestion from the other thread, but my recommendation would be starting an Early Access expanded game in a little while. At minimum, buyers would get SR, so you're not breaking any big promises if you can't eventually materialize the expanded content. The advantages are that
a. There's time to get the word out.
b. You get to try out Early Access in a safe way.
c. You get another launch when the expanded content is done.
d. You get cash early (this should be the first point actually).
e. You get full credit for the post-release support which you're so good at.

Much safer and better IMO than trying for a regular expansion, which completely depends on the success of the first game.
he also gets a wider poll of feed back than just drawing from here weather that would be a good or bad thing is enougher thing entirely though.
c.r

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2016, 10:57:45 pm »
It was an open invitation.
fair enough I sent you a message with 9 questions I had but then the internet decided to have a fit so ill re send it tomorrow.
c.r

Offline Jabberwok

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2016, 11:24:37 pm »

All right, sent you a message with a bit more detail on the sort of thing I'd like to see.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2016, 11:41:09 pm »

wait why would inmates be allowed to carry deadly weaponry around?!.
They don't, they have stolen it from the wardens. Notice how The Warden's attacks are all made up of attacks from other enemies? There is a clear hint.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2016, 12:06:32 am »

They don't, they have stolen it from the wardens. Notice how The Warden's attacks are all made up of attacks from other enemies? There is a clear hint.

Or it's just me using the magical power of copy-pasta.  Some of the created functions for earlier bosses & enemies turned out to have great versatility, so they've been re-used in numerous forms; I see no reason to re-write what's already there.  Some of the reuses are obvious, some are not.

If the attacks used by any of the bosses tie into something story-related though, it's not intentional.  As a rule they're just whatever I come up with at the time.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2016, 12:43:35 am »

Or it's just me using the magical power of copy-pasta.  Some of the created functions for earlier bosses & enemies turned out to have great versatility, so they've been re-used in numerous forms; I see no reason to re-write what's already there.  Some of the reuses are obvious, some are not.

If the attacks used by any of the bosses tie into something story-related though, it's not intentional.  As a rule they're just whatever I come up with at the time.
Shh, don't ruin my fantasy. I like to imagine it that way.  :)

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2016, 12:50:27 am »

na Rodney did all that and tricked you into thinking you did it all your self.
c.r

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk