Author Topic: Skyward Collapse Alpha 0.904  (Read 3884 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Skyward Collapse Alpha 0.904
« on: May 19, 2013, 01:58:24 pm »
Okay, this should be a goodie: http://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Skyward_Collapse_-_Pre-Beta_Release_Notes#Alpha_0.904

This really changes the flow in a way that I think makes a lot of sense.  A lot of the thinking behind it is here: http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13121.0.html

Not much to add beyond that this time!  Except that this definitely seems to be a stalemate-breaker in savegames that I've tested thus far.  Hoo boy is it. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline orzelek

• Hero Member Mark III
Re: Skyward Collapse Alpha 0.904
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 03:50:09 pm »
I started new game and it's.... interesting. Playing on Medium 2.

Two things:
- make bandit units and their fortresses priority targets. That stuff is bad for all so they should prefer to murder those.
- preeetty please make bread production more efficient. Really. That wheat farms until the horizon view is getting seriously boring.

Ah forgot to add.. it's also Fun. On plateau of everything bandits seem to like their fortresses. And they hurt. Also rams one shooting your buildings is not nice...
PS.
Ruin from building had flag. Then flag got taken by unit. So far so good. But resulting flag-less ruin can be smited. That seems... not according to plans?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 03:53:32 pm by orzelek »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 04:03:31 pm »
Cheers:

* The amount of wheat produced per wheat farm per turn has been tripled.
* Fixed an issue where empty ruins sites could be smited.
* When targeting "the nearest enemy town center," red and blue units will prefer to target bandit keeps above towns of the opposing faction.

Glad you're enjoying it, unless that was Fun in the DF sense. ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline orzelek

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 04:22:00 pm »
Fun is in DF sense... at least a bit. But trying to control what's going on is quite difficult. If not for strategic mountains use it would be full chaos all around.
Woes were quite delicate until now(I prepared for Upheval, spies spawned few units in unfortunate places - aka surrounded by enemies).

I just observed unit steal ruins from under bandit battering ram. That was strange. There was no damage message also. No way to reproduce readily currently since I have no save at previous turn.

As for mythologicals and tokens. I can look at them only currently. I'm nearing end of age of man and I'm not even close to affording these. Stuff like incense is slow to get and jewelery plus diamonds is very hard to accumulate.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 04:26:01 pm »
I think the Human Vanity woe isn't applying Vain to new units during the woe.

I'm not 100% that this is the case (forgot to save before the woe hit) so I could be mistaken here.
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 04:27:01 pm »
Do you feel like the bandit spawn rates are what is messing you up?  Also the bread thing might be a factor if so much of your space is going to that.

In general what you are describing is exactly what sort of challenge we're looking for... on the harder difficulties.  This sounds a bit intense for medium.

It sounds like you're constantly on a resource shortage as the main problem.  Any ideas on what would make that easier for you on your current difficulty?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 04:28:43 pm »

I'm not 100% that this is the case (forgot to save before the woe hit) so I could be mistaken here.

That's definitely not possible, as it isn't applied directly to the units, but rather is checked at the woe level.  So what I mean is, if it's not working for some of them, it's not working for all of them, because it doesn't have to go through an "add this here" check, if that makes sense.  That's counter to something like Mars Ascendant, which could indeed have the problem you describe (though it doesn't), because it permanently puts bloodlust on anyone alive during it.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 04:31:24 pm »

That's definitely not possible, as it isn't applied directly to the units, but rather is checked at the woe level.  So what I mean is, if it's not working for some of them, it's not working for all of them, because it doesn't have to go through an "add this here" check, if that makes sense.  That's counter to something like Mars Ascendant, which could indeed have the problem you describe (though it doesn't), because it permanently puts bloodlust on anyone alive during it.

I saw some units with the Vain trait and some units without it.  Lemme see how far back my last save is.
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 04:38:37 pm »
Bear in mind it only applies to human units, not mythological tokens.  But yeah, if you have a save that demonstrates it, it could very well be some other conditional bug about what kind of unit or what faction or whatever.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 04:48:02 pm »
It's the first woe that hit.  Units that are on the board when it happens get the trait but new units that are produced during the woe don't.

The bandits in the save all have the trait but the Norse guys don't.  There are a bunch of archers that will come out next turn that won't have the trait either.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 04:50:31 pm by Cinth »

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 05:16:34 pm »
Sounds like the game is getting very, very close to working as intended!!!!  I am getting very excited. Am hoping this is true, it would lessen the panic perhaps if it was so and you didn't have to keep tweaking to get it where you wanted it.
Anyway, am keeping my fingers crossed!

-Teal

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 05:32:44 pm »
Thanks Teal, I appreciate it. :)

Also:

* Fixed an issue where, oddly, woes could sometimes strike the yellow faction when it was supposed to strike everyone.  This is now fixed and will self-correct in existing savegames.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 05:35:35 pm »
Thanks Teal, I appreciate it. :)

Also:

* Fixed an issue where, oddly, woes could sometimes strike the yellow faction when it was supposed to strike everyone.  This is now fixed and will self-correct in existing savegames.

That is rather humorous

Oh, woe is them  ;)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 05:36:10 pm »
Pretty much!  ;D

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 05:36:35 pm »
Is the currently released alpha version ready for a retest on the Limburger problem (not the literal linear building thing, I'm assuming you've stomped that, but something equally cheesy), and if so are the new rules evident from within the game/tutorial or do I need to read up on these various threads sprouting in this forum?
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk