Author Topic: Prerelease 1.007B now available.  (Read 4175 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Prerelease 1.007B now available.
« on: June 18, 2009, 05:20:10 pm »
Here's the latest prerelease:  http://www.arcengames.com/share/AIWar1007B.zip

That version is an upgrade from version 1.006, so you have to already have 1.006 installed. Just unzip it into your game folder (usually C:\Program Files\Arcen Games\AI War\ unless you specified something else). Please make sure that your unzip process keeps the folder structure from the zip file, rather than just unpacking all of the files into the base target directory.

What's new since 1.007A:
(Cumulative release notes since 1.006 are attached at the bottom)

-------------------

-The game's suggested paths between planets on the galaxy map are now much better, preferring to stay with neutral/allied planets before venturing into enemy territory.  This will therefore suggest paths that are longer, but that don't go through enemy planets, when possible.  This makes players have to less frequently provide their own manual interplanetary travel paths.

-The AI (at all levels) has learned some new tricks.  Guards will now temporarily leave their posts to help with the defense of certain large structures (currently command stations and superfortresses) on the same planet as them.  They will also leave their posts for a bit to join in the attack on a command station if they are guarding something on a human planet.

-Harvester ExoShields are now a bit cheaper to build, and no longer have a build cap.  However, they now also use -1/s of both metal and crystal, making them essentially reduce the net benefit from the harvester they are protecting.  They also now cost 1,000 energy, which increases your energy needs rather dramatically if overused.  These changes will make this ship more useful for general play, but also increases the cost of its use so as to not make it suddenly overpowerful.

-The AI scores are now trended over time as part of the Score, Ships Killed, Ships Lost, and Planets Held graphs, letting players compare their performance against the AIs in these ways.  There is also now an "Include AIs In Extra Graphs" option in the graph window that allows for the Total Ships, Ships by level, and ships built graphs to also include the AIs (although these comparisons are usually apples to oranges and of little relevance).

-The Graphs screen now includes new graphs for Scouted Planets and AI Progress, which just shows those single metrics over time (these are not per-player).

-When the game's zoom gets too large for the window clipping area, it no longer jumps back and forth.  It also now has a larger clipping area, to allow for overzoom.

-There is now a settings option called "Allow Overzoom."  When paired with the "Allow Far Zoom" option, this allows players to zoom and pan beyond the edge of the planetary map, which is helpful for seeing absolutely the entire planet at once, or for easing zooming in on ships at the edge of the galaxy map from far zoom.

-Drawing hundreds or thousands of simultaneous ship ranges now not only looks better, but it also will perform vastly better, especially on older graphics cards.

-It is now possible to select multiple constructors of the same type (docks, factories, etc) and issue build queue orders to them all at once.  If their build queues differ, a Reset button will be shown in place of the actual queue icon. The queues can still be managed in these cases, but you won't be able to see your changes without clicking to an individual constructor.  You can use the Reset button to clear all the queues, and then any commands that are issued will cause the queues to be in sync and thus shown as if only one constructor was selected.  Lack of resources, ships hitting their ship caps, or engineers being unevenly distributed could cause the the queues to later get out of sync again.  These changes are meant as a first pass for the players who wanted them, but we may add some more improvements in this area once we have more playtest data.

-Constructors with queues are now shown as grayed out when paused, same as how it works for manufactories that are paused.

-It is now possible to give most commands to ships that are still being built.  You can basically set everything up at docks and other queue-based constructors, you can give attack targets, assistance targets, wormhole commands, or movement targets.  The main thing you can't do is issue build commands from placement-mode ships (command stations, mobile builders, etc), and you can't research technologies until a science lab is completed building.  The in-progress ships still won't act on any of the above until they are finished building, but you can set them up in advance.

-The AI will now build counter-sniper turrets and sniper turrets in place of whatever turrets it would normally build during reinforcements when there are enemy sniper-type ships in its presence.

-Special Forces Command Posts now allow for AI reinforcements to be made against their host planet.

-The game now supports downright tiny galaxy maps: 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30 planets.

-The game now scales downward better for maps smaller than 80 planets.  The difficulty should now be more on par with what the 80-planet maps provide.  More appropriate numbers of data centers, special forces command posts, and advanced research stations are seeded into these maps.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
Re: Prerelease 1.007B now available.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 05:21:21 pm »
bump
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Quitch

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 06:10:02 pm »
Wow, plunged straight into negative energy with all my exoshields :)

Somehow got the range measure flickering on and off for every turret I tried to place.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 06:13:00 pm »
Wow, plunged straight into negative energy with all my exoshields :)

Ha, yeah, sorry about that.  Should work out for you better in the long run with that game, though. :)

Somehow got the range measure flickering on and off for every turret I tried to place.

I'll check on this, I think I know why that's happening.  That's why I do the prereleases!

Offline Zulgaines

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 06:15:37 pm »
I dub this update, ****ing win.

Offline Quitch

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 06:17:45 pm »
I like the exoshield change, the 8 limit was pretty tight, this makes it more of an interesting call. I need these things to stop the raids until I can find some of his damn data centres...

Another movement issue, while I think you were right about my problem in A (and the path choices in B are much better) I found a scout of mine which had been part of a group of 10, all under the same orders, sitting still in the middle of a planet taking fire, while his colleagues had gone on to die at the hands of an Ion Cannon in the next sector.

Ordered from Degin to Zorribvar, found the scout stuck at 04:08.

http://cid-79dfbf37bf7ef7d3.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Autosave.sav

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 06:20:45 pm »
I dub this update, ****ing win.

Awesome, thanks! :D

Offline Quitch

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 06:25:02 pm »
The "issue orders before built" is bloody handy, no more hanging around to issue a free-roam order. Nice :)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 06:25:57 pm »
I like the exoshield change, the 8 limit was pretty tight, this makes it more of an interesting call. I need these things to stop the raids until I can find some of his damn data centres...

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured.  That way you can protect your entire frontier if you want, but it's just going to be less efficient until you can get it better defended in other ways.  Then you can take down the exoshields and move on.

Another movement issue, while I think you were right about my problem in A (and the path choices in B are much better) I found a scout of mine which had been part of a group of 10, all under the same orders, sitting still in the middle of a planet taking fire, while his colleagues had gone on to die at the hands of an Ion Cannon in the next sector.

Ordered from Degin to Zorribvar, found the scout stuck at 04:08.

http://cid-79dfbf37bf7ef7d3.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Autosave.sav

Hmm, okay, I'll check that out.  This is very strange, I don't know why this would happen.  I still can't find anyone else who has duplicated this, or at least noticed it.  Maybe you are doing something unusual that is triggering this.  Maybe using control groups more, or more from the galaxy map, or doing attack-moves between planets, or something else?  Any idea how you specifically gave this move order that the scout ignored?  There doesn't seem to be a general-purpose glitch (that I can tell), so it must be triggered by something else that is related, but that not all that many people choose to use.  Only thing I can figure at this stage...

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 06:26:48 pm »
The "issue orders before built" is bloody handy, no more hanging around to issue a free-roam order. Nice :)

Ha, that was on my list from you. :)  There are still a few more on my list from you and others, but (thankfully) my list is getting smaller and smaller for the moment.  Nice to be catching up, at least for a bit!

Offline Quitch

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 06:33:31 pm »
Yeah I'm running out of things to suggest :)

Until I try coop.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 06:39:02 pm »
Yeah I'm running out of things to suggest :)

Ha, I guess that's a good sign!  And I think that a lot of what you suggested (same as what other people have suggested) are things that would have come up from other people, sooner or later.  So hopefully it will shift eventually to being more along the lines of cool new ship ideas, etc, that I'll be putting in more gradually, rather than interface tweaks that are needed sooner than later.

Okay, here's a release that fixes your problem with the blinking attack ranges on turret placement:  http://www.arcengames.com/share/AIWar1007C.zip

Also, I tried out your savegame with the scouts, and couldn't duplicate it.  However, what I did do by accident gave me a clue to what this might be (you tell me).  At one point in testing it, I was double-clicking all the scouts to select them, and noticed that I had only selected 9.  That last one was just slightly off the screen, since he was away from the others by a good little bit.  Double-clicking only selects ships of the same type that are actually on the screen (by design -- same as other RTS games), so I wonder if that was the problem here for you, as well?  That's the only thing I can think of right now, it worked fine for me three times in a row, I tried a variety of little things.

Offline Quitch

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 07:11:30 pm »
Afraid my sole interaction with them was the initial move order for all ten.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 07:37:55 pm »
Hmm, that's odd.  Well, we'll both keep an eye out for it, I'm sure.  At least this seems fairly infrequent for you (though of course that makes it harder to find, too).

Offline Quitch

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 03:18:48 pm »
Were there changes in how AI progression works? Just fired up my save and have an AI Progress of 206 under C, but I'm pretty sure it was actually around 84 before.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk