Author Topic: Love AI War and/or Tidalis? We could really use your help...  (Read 120094 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Love AI War and/or Tidalis? We could really use your help...
« Reply #315 on: October 24, 2010, 12:12:26 pm »
Many thanks, and I hope you enjoy it! :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline ZedF

« Reply #316 on: October 27, 2010, 10:09:31 pm »
By the way, for those of you trying to get your friends interested in AI War (thank you!), if they don't like it that doesn't mean there's nothing to be gained; if you could give us their feedback (or better yet, herd them to these forums so they can tell us themselves) that could be really helpful.  Obviously there are things we can't or won't change but often there's something that we can do.  Also, I've found it's often possible to take those stated desires and distill them down to the real "itch", and then find another way of scratching that which does fit with our philosophy.

I tried to get my brother interested,  but the gameplay did not turn him on, even though he's very much into conquer the galaxy games like Master of Orion and such -- he particularly enjoys Sword of the Stars by indy developer Kerberos Productions.  Usually he's *very* involved in any forums for games he enjoys, so perhaps I can get him to post at least something here....

But the feedback in a nutshell from him is that he felt that with the fleet sizes in AI War that all the units 'felt' the same, or were simply variations on a theme, there may be tons of units but when you have a swarm of a bazillion going around, they're all just flying guns that go pew pew -- build a few hundred ships, fling them at the enemy.  (He's much into designing his own ships, also enjoys Gratuitous Space Battles).

Personally I don't think that's the case, but again I'm passing along 'feels like'  not 'is'.  I'll try to finagle him posting something more lengthy.  Do you want the feedback in a particular place?  I know we have the Suggestions forum, but for one-off posts that might not have the person coming back....

Decided to log in and post. Sizzle's brother here.

For me the biggest issue is I've moved away from RTS, as a gamer, over the years. I enjoyed Dune 2 when it came out, but RTS was already getting old for me when Starcraft I came out, and that's quite some time ago. I have never really enjoyed the TA-style resource acquisition mechanic that makes me feel like I should always be doing something with those resources that are constantly rolling in. I am a much more methodical planner and definitely like to take my time making (and optimizing) strategic decisions. Even a relatively slow RTS like Sins of a Solar Empire just didn't fly with me, as a game I'd want to commit to; the combat mechanics seemed like a fancier version of rock-paper-scissors, and the strategic side of the game struck me as a bit lacking.

So a quality 4X game such as Sword of the Stars, that's easy on the micromanagement without stinting on depth of gameplay, is just plain more up my alley right off the bat than any RTS. (BTW, SotS is definitely worth another look, especially with SotS2 due out next year. But if you do, make sure to get the Complete Collection, as the game has matured a lot through the various expansions. I imagine you guys share a similar philosophy with Kerberos as far as ongoing support goes.  :) )

Now, I would like to like AI War! I think that a solid AI is extremely important and I've heard no complaints in that department. I very much appreciate the asymmetrical approach to AI development and find the concept refreshing. While from my "non-RTS gamer" point of view, the units seem by-and-large like spammable flying blobs that go pew-pew and don't have a lot of personality, where I prefer carefully crafted warships that are both aesthetically pleasing and capable on an individual basis rather than en-masse... I understand and accept that there is real variety in the number of different kinds of units in terms of how they work, even if this isn't immediately apparent to someone who has mostly given up on RTS conventions and gameplay.

I decided give AI war another shot now that 4.0 is out; some of the changes may help (both on the UI side and streamlined gameplay side,) and improved tutorials certainly wouldn't hurt. (Playing a solo game where I can pause at will and not feel like I am making my brother wait on me could be helpful too.) Because I like to support indie developers that I feel may develop games that are up my alley in future, and Arcen seems to have a certain amount of credibility as a strategy game developer, I went ahead and purchased AI War even though it's not exactly what I normally prefer to play.

Hopefully the 4.0 changes and a fresh start will help. :)

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #317 on: October 28, 2010, 01:05:37 am »
Wow, that's quite a text. You're one of the first people I've seen who've clearly stated "I don't really like your game, but I respect it" in a very respectful manner. Kudos for that! Giving critizism without critizising is not a common skill :D

As for that actual content, I'll leave that up to Chris and Kieth.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Sizzle

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #318 on: October 28, 2010, 03:58:12 am »
Wow, that's quite a text. You're one of the first people I've seen who've clearly stated "I don't really like your game, but I respect it" in a very respectful manner. Kudos for that! Giving critizism without critizising is not a common skill :D

As for that actual content, I'll leave that up to Chris and Kieth.

That's my brother for you... ;)   Biased opinion, but I appreciate his contributions to any forum he visits!

(Btw ZedF -- feels weird calling you by your screen name lol -- I'm pleasantly surprised you decided to give it another shot!)

- You might like playing on the smaller ship caps setting, it will have fewer but more powerful ships.
- There is an increased emphasis on starships in 4.0
- The AI guardians are in the 'fewer but powerful, and most definitely unique in flavor' vein.

Oh and future rule -- pause away in any games with me -- we are in voice communication at the time, by and large, and you're not such a bad conversationalist that I need to busy myself with the game!

Offline KamikazeRockets

« Reply #319 on: October 28, 2010, 06:32:08 am »
I knew about AI War for sometime now, but I never gave a shot at it until today.
I saw 2 or 3 screenshots and thought that it was just one of many RTS wannabe.
Never read any description or watched any trailer.
For that, I want to apologies now.

This morning, I found out that new expansion was out, so I took a quick peek at your trailer and read through STEAM store page.
I never knew that AI War was so original, and it just sounded like an amazing game.
Then I read this forum, and now I just felt a need to support such an honest developer.
I just bought 2 sets of AI War and all both expansion packs. (for my friend and myself)
Please forgive me; I need you people to keep producing great games in the future.

I’m still at work, and haven’t played the game yet, but I really hope I love this game.
By the way, sorry for my shotty English, I’m Japanese.  ;)

Offline leaston

« Reply #320 on: October 28, 2010, 07:08:11 am »
What an amazing thread!! I've never seen any games company be so honest and open and to ask for help from what looks to be a very supportive community.

After looking at reviews and reading around the forum and website for the game, I've just done my bit and bought a copy. AI War does look fantastic and I'll be spending some time on the tutorial later today.

The Indie and smaller developers are the ones I tend to give my money to these days as the support and personal customer service is generally far better than with the big corporations. Not to mention that the games are (imo) often far more fun and interesting as the indie developer invests more than just their time in creating the software.

Good luck with the future and I really do hope your fortunes turn around. I wish you all the best with the success of the games.

Cheers,
Leaston
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 07:54:00 am by leaston »

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #321 on: October 28, 2010, 07:48:33 am »
I knew about AI War for sometime now, but I never gave a shot at it until today.
I saw 2 or 3 screenshots and thought that it was just one of many RTS wannabe.
Never read any description or watched any trailer.
For that, I want to apologies now.

This morning, I found out that new expansion was out, so I took a quick peek at your trailer and read through STEAM store page.
I never knew that AI War was so original, and it just sounded like an amazing game.
Then I read this forum, and now I just felt a need to support such an honest developer.
I just bought 2 sets of AI War and all both expansion packs. (for my friend and myself)
Please forgive me; I need you people to keep producing great games in the future.

I’m still at work, and haven’t played the game yet, but I really hope I love this game.
By the way, sorry for my shotty English, I’m Japanese.  ;)
Youkoso kudasai! (is that correct?)

In fact, your english is splendid, so do not worry. Also, there is no need to apologize, we're just happy you are here! I wish you many happy and fun hours with AI:War!

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #322 on: October 28, 2010, 07:49:17 am »
What an amazing thread!! I've never seen any games company be so honest and open and to ask for help from what looks to be a very supportive community.

After looking at reviews and reading around the forum and website for the game, I've just done my bit and bought a copy. AI War does look fantastic and I'll be spending some time on the tutorial later today.

The Indie and smaller developers are the ones I tend to give my money to these days as the support and personal customer service is generally far better than with the big corporations. Not to mention that the games are (imo) often far more fun and interesting as the indie developer invests more than just their time in creating the software.

Good luck with the future and I really do hope your fortunes turn around. I wish you all the best with the success of the games.

Cheers,
Leaston
I can't say much more than that I agree 100% with what you said. Welcome!

Offline Salamander

« Reply #323 on: October 28, 2010, 10:07:13 am »
Your post is not just fair and eloquent ZedF, but you sound a lot like me. I too prefer turn-based over RTS and I have SotS complete, but haven't played it that much yet. SE4 is still my all-time favorite 4x game (with MoM, MoO, MoO2, Civ 1,2, and 4 close behind). While I apparently like RTSs more than you, I am not a huge fan normally, but AI War just plays better than most. The AI for both the enemy AI and in reference to our units is far better than generally seen in other RTSs. I like the fact that if you just form a huge blob of units and vomit them at the AI, you may win some battles, but the attrition will be extreme and the new Eyes can put the kibosh on that as well.

My one old friend and I started my first ever multi-player game of AI War last night after I sent him the game+packs through Steam and I already gifted the complete game via Steam to another old friend so our plans to make more people play the game is on track.  ;D

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #324 on: October 28, 2010, 10:14:25 am »
se4 is amazing >.>
Ideas? Suggestions? Concerns? Bugs to be squashed? Report them on the Mantis Bugtracker!

Author of the Dyson Project and the Spire Gambit

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #325 on: October 28, 2010, 11:51:00 am »
SEIV was a favourite of mine, but thanks to the Balance Mod, I'm stuck in SEV actually.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #326 on: October 28, 2010, 12:00:01 pm »
I really like SEV (never actually played IV), and the balance mod, but I find that the game bogs down in both turn processing times and the amount of time it takes me to tell it what I want it to do each turn, in ways that don't seem necessary.  That said, it has one of the most robust interfaces I've ever seen for handling the large amount of relevant data, which is nice since my background is in web-database programming.

One of the things I really like about AI War over 4X games (though in general I prefer 4X stuff since I've never been an RTS-afficianado myself) is that it can maintain a decent realtime pace of progress even in the late game.  You can pause if you need to, but the game isn't always waiting on your input, and doesn't spend several seconds processing each turn, etc.

Welcome to the forums, ZedF :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #327 on: October 28, 2010, 12:04:14 pm »
SEv never really did it for me.. it just wasnt the same as se4.

Also, it is completely messed up when attempting to play on vista/win7 without hacking at cleartype stuff.

But yes - the fact that after a while the player micromanaging everything becomes incredibly tedious..
Ideas? Suggestions? Concerns? Bugs to be squashed? Report them on the Mantis Bugtracker!

Author of the Dyson Project and the Spire Gambit

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #328 on: October 28, 2010, 12:06:36 pm »
Yea, I had to hack out the cleartype and use 16-bit color, etc.  A bit of a technical learning curve there ;)

But the game itself was immensely enjoyable, until I got to the point where I just didn't have the rl time to do the amount of manual input it seemed to desire of me.  Perhaps I should have looked harder for automation tools.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline ZedF

« Reply #329 on: October 28, 2010, 12:21:48 pm »
I really like SEV (never actually played IV), and the balance mod, but I find that the game bogs down in both turn processing times and the amount of time it takes me to tell it what I want it to do each turn, in ways that don't seem necessary.
I agree that late game micromanagement explosion can be a big problem for 4X games in general. It's one of the reasons I've had a somewhat rocky relationship with the Civ franchise over the years.

SotS actually has some design philosophy and in-game tools that can help with this (along with being generally anti-micro by design in the first place.) The game is constructed so that there are frequently only a handful of planets you are actively concentrating on at any given time, and the rest just contribute funds to your empire's coffers and only need a small amount of attention, if any. Also there are a couple diplomatic tools that help you convince clearly inferior rivals to surrender without a fight, and a scenario option that allows you to win by acclamation if you control a majority of the galaxy.

That said, it is definitely an issue I wish more 4X developers would pay better attention to.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk