Author Topic: AVWW Beta 0.524, "Lieutenant Battle Rock," Released!  (Read 4169 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
AVWW Beta 0.524, "Lieutenant Battle Rock," Released!
« on: October 13, 2011, 11:10:36 pm »
Original: http://arcengames.blogspot.com/2011/10/avww-beta-0524-lieutenant-battle-rock.html

This one is a much shorter-than-average set of release notes, so for the most part I'm just going to point you to them.  But it's been a busy day indeed!  Yesterday and today a lot of my and Josh's time has been spent on... something.  Sometimes it's just more fun if you find it for yourself rather than me telling you in advance.

Anyway, in terms of the core set of documented new stuff in the release notes, there's a lot of tweaks to make the gameplay smoother, particular with the Miniature spell and the Transmogrify Into Bat spell scroll.  There's also auto-potions for Magic Points now, and an awesome new music track by Pablo for the Lieutenant boss battles.

More to come tomorrow.  Enjoy!

This is a standard update that you can download through the in-game updater itself, if you already have 0.500 or later. When you launch the game, you'll see the notice of the update having been found if you're connected to the Internet at the time.  If you don't have 0.500 or later, you can download that here.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Commiesalami

• Full Member Mark II
Re: AVWW Beta 0.524, "Lieutenant Battle Rock," Released!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 11:52:11 pm »
"something new and neat"?!  Now I cant hang out on the forums until I find it for fear of spoilers.  I still haven't found that un-forgeable scroll that was added to stashes just yet either

Offline Dizzard

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 02:04:29 am »
I think I know what the secret addition was. At least I've never seen it before now. :D

Offline FallingStar

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 03:19:49 am »
Ya, I found one new thing pretty quickly, then started finding another few as I went along. 

Even cleared out a few Lt. towers to check out the music and beat on some things, gain a couple levels.  The HP/ mana drops from the last few updates makes wiping the spawners /using douse spells vs leaving them and sniping the trash mobs an interesting decision.

As I roll on through the 50's and still find new types of areas unlocking, its neat how the game continues to hold some of that early initial game feeling of "never seen that before" and desire to explore, even if you know that its far too soon to poke your head in.

Anyways, just a quick thumbs up!  An to share today's funny moment: running about outside, and realizing that the doorknobs are too high for my miniature character, and needing to jump to open doors.  Almost threw it in mantis, but then it made such funny sense it just worked.

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 06:21:11 am »
For the record, I plan to spend a lot of my day working on more of that... something today. :-)

Offline JedTheHumanoid

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 08:15:53 am »
I think I can guess without even checking in game.

***************SPOILER ALERT*******************

-$$$$$- Deleted Patch Notes - Beta 0.524 -$$$$$-

-At civ level 70 players will unlock 'Windball'.
-Many players have been asking for a minigame to help break up the pace of the game.
-Players must build a 'Windball Stadium' in their settlement. Windball can then be accessed by speaking to the Hearthstone.
-Players can those choose to challenge the local Overlord to a match.  The Hearthstone will give the full list of rules in game, however in brief:
-Players must have atleast 12 NPCs with 50 Time Units available to form their starting line up.
-Before the first match players must choose a team uniform.  A range of colours, fabrics and styles are available.  Team morale is negatively affected by floral and polka dot designs, players are advised to choose wisely.
-A team mascot must be chosen.  There are a variety of men dressed as animals from a range of time periods to choose from, again, certain choices will negatively affect team morale.
-Once confirmed, the player will then be taken to the Windball Pitch screen and the match will begin.

Note:  The Overlords of the world take Windball very seriously, they are likely to field their strongest line up of Lieutenants, be prepeared!  Losing a match will reduce moral for all NPCs in your settlement.  Winning a match is likely to cause the Overlord to 'blame the ref' in a fit of frustration, at which point his team will riot in your settlement before leaving, killing most of your NPCs.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 08:17:40 am by JedTheHumanoid »
"A luv you penny!"

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 08:48:32 am »
Glad you like it, guys. :)

And yeah, Josh is being an enormous help with that... something.  It's one of those parts of the game that I've kept putting off and putting off, and just never seem to have time for.  But with him doing the first and third parts of that something, the second part is quick for me to do while still working on the more core game itself.  So that's really cool!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Itchykobu

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 06:09:55 pm »
Aaah, hints? I've been playing for an hour and still not sure what the special something could be. Everything I've done so far seems 'par for the course'. What are these secrets!?!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 06:36:22 pm »
It's really just the start of something -- check out libraries, living rooms, and similar.

Offline Hyfrydle

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 06:42:02 pm »
Yeah so far not noticing anything out of the ordinary will have to play more  :)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 06:43:04 pm »
It will become WAY more obvious in tonight's release, don't worry.  And more and more obvious each week, not that I think anybody will be able to not notice after tonight's.  Yesterday (and even today) are only the start of this something.

Offline Hyfrydle

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 07:01:31 pm »
You certainly like to tease but I like been surprised.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 07:03:36 pm »
Well, it's a tough balance -- I like to talk about the game, but I don't want to spoil everything.  So I wind up teasing without really meaning to.  The alternative is either nothing is ever a surprise, or else some days we just have hardly any release notes and it looks like nothing happened even though a bunch did.  So... yeah.  I guess I hit the middle, which comes off as a tease.

Offline Hyfrydle

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 07:23:11 pm »
Don't get me wrong this is the most enjoyable beta I've ever taken part in each update is like a new experience and seeing the game change and take shape is amazing. Just had a really enjoyable evening taking out two fairly low level Lieutenants so I can concentrate on the Overlord without too much fuss.

Got a joint birthday party for my two sons tomorrow so won't get chance to try the next update till late in the day but it will help me survive the play centre and all the screaming kids knowing I can lose myself in AVWW when I get home  ;D

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 07:27:06 pm »
Well, that's really awesome to hear. :)

And hey, hope you have a fun time with your sons.  How old are they?  My one year old son just had three birthday party weekends in a row last month (his, and then two friends, all back to back).  So I feel your pain. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk