Author Topic: Starward Rogue Update 1.013: New Rooms, New Enemies, and Balance Work  (Read 16372 times)

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
Re: Starward Rogue Update 1.013: New Rooms, New Enemies, and Balance Work
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2016, 12:06:32 am »
re: DDS Hmm. Fair enough. I'll look into it.

re:King of Dragon Pass. KoDP is awesome. My original hope was that SBR was going to be KoDP with aliens. And I still think a Arcen KoDP with aliens would be awesome, even though it doesn't seem SBR is going that route now. Amusingly, I've been half developing the story scenarios that would be with that.

My current game is primarily World of Warships (pew pew) and World of XML (pew... that's not what should happen).
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2016, 12:08:37 am »
Instead play Shin Megami Tensei. I recommend Devil Survivor, Strange Journey and Nocturne in that order.

Given the unforgivably frustrating dungeon design in Strange Journey, that's a really, really cruel recommendation to drop on someone, especially when you're ranking it over Nocturne. I mean, the dungeons in SJ are on par with SMT I/II which is to say they're super tedious mazes. Amazing games, all of them, but you have to be patient and work at them.

As for Devil Survivor, it's so vastly different from the main games in the franchise that you should mention it's a SRPG first and foremost, not a dungeoncrawler.

(Ahem, I've been into Megaten for a long, long time. I personally rec Nocturne > Digital Devil Saga: Avatar Tuner > anything else in the franchise in terms of being playable/relatively easily accessible, but my personal favorites in the franchise are SMT II and the Raidou spin-offs.)
Strange Journey's only really frustrating in Eridanus. Before that it's not bad. Plus it's fast to traverse and battles go quick. I recommend it over Nocturne because SJ's difficulty curve is much gentler than "You are now leaving Ginza, meet your first Fiend!", even if it's a harder game. Plus, Nocturne is so much of a deconstruction of the mainline games that it's a much better game if you've played other SMT games before.

Devil Survivor is as close to mainline SMT thematically as you can get without playing mainline, even if it's a different genre. Lighter on the cyberpunk and higher on modern anime tropes, but it keeps the Law vs. Chaos conflict, most of the usual suspects and the Chaos bias.  :P I would normally recommend SMT IV, but the first three hours of that are super off putting because of how hard they are.

Actually, that's not a bad idea. Go from Digital Devil (1) to SMT 4 and you'll be primed to experience the suffering deaths Shin Megami Tensei series, ptarth.

I have Factorio. It's pretty cool. It is almost Transport Tycoon for the independent alien world invading capitalist. If there was agriculture involved, less aliens, and a town/social component it would be awesome.
....I should have thought of this sooner. Have you played King of Dragon Pass?
+1 ptarth would love that game
also have any of you played a game called.....digmon story cyber sleuth? its got a terrible name but I watched a video of it from the best friends and it actually looks like a solid rpg probably not a great one but a solid one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8VGEHVdMvQ
c.r

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2016, 12:28:39 am »
Cyber Sleuth has the same character artist as Devil Survivor. In fact, half of the characters are composites of Devil Survivor (2?) characters.  ;D

Can't speak to the game itself, I know it was one of those games that fans of the franchise really wanted, but I never followed Digimon.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2016, 12:45:31 am »
Cyber Sleuth has the same character artist as Devil Survivor. In fact, half of the characters are composites of Devil Survivor (2?) characters.  ;D

Can't speak to the game itself, I know it was one of those games that fans of the franchise really wanted, but I never followed Digimon.
neither did i(okay I might have watched the 3 first episodes but I remember jack shit about them not surprising real since I think I was like 5 at the time and the autism of course never helped) just thought ask about it since this threads been taken over by rpg nerds.
c.r

Offline Ayrix

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2016, 01:23:25 am »
is long live the queen actually worth playing? it looked super interesting when tb did his video of it but the eyes freaked me out? that and it looks like it might end up being super repetitive?.
It's damn solid for what it is.
Gameplay is the classic schedule classes to go to, with modifiers to stat gains based on your current mood. Mood is altered by what you do at weekends.

The stats mostly influence what choices you can take (safely) in conversation options during events, also the classes themselves give you (the Player) law to understand how the politics works.

If you don't save tons it will be repetitive as you'll have to do lots of replays due to dying  so often, it's pretty merciless.

Then again I play VNs so I have very high tolerance to having to replay the first section of games over and over and appreciation of the text skip button.

Re: Digimon it's all on Amazon instant video,  still holds up okay; it also just got a 3rd season of the original series (set with 10 year time skip).
Also had comments re: cyber sleuth release that, as with pokemon, it's primarily a game series. Hearing good things, but lack the correct consoles to pick it up.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2016, 01:44:46 am »
My current game is primarily World of Warships

I keep meaning to dive into this one.  Got it downloaded and all, just havent done anything yet.  Familiar with World of Tanks though.

Been trying to find more good competitive multiplayer games lately that arent just fighting games.  It is difficult.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2016, 01:47:37 am »

I keep meaning to dive into this one.  Got it downloaded and all, just havent done anything yet.  Familiar with World of Tanks though.

Been trying to find more good competitive multiplayer games lately that arent just fighting games.  It is difficult.
I'm surprised you've been able to follow this rpg nerding.
c.r

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2016, 01:58:41 am »

Its a bit too slow paced for some. Having friends to play over a voice chat is really helpful. They will soon have party based battles instead of just random players assigned to teams. That will be great. MechWarrior Online is also worth considering, just don't fall for the money grabs.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2016, 02:07:43 am »

You noticed he skipped over all of it and just picked out the bit about the wargame?  :P

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2016, 02:17:01 am »

It's a slower paced WoT.  It's an ok game.  Worth a go if you like WoT.    Armored Warfare is another in the same vein.
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2016, 02:30:39 am »
Popping in just to say that among the armored warfare games, I enjoy War Thunder.

T-34 too stronk, pls nerf
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2016, 03:02:23 am »
Popping in just to say that among the armored warfare games, I enjoy War Thunder.

T-34 too stronk, pls nerf

War thunder was an OK game.  Now it's just pure BS.  I might log in and fly a plane or to, but I'll not play ground forces at all anymore.
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2016, 03:08:05 am »

You noticed he skipped over all of it and just picked out the bit about the wargame?  :P

Yep.

Far as I'm concerned RPGs are like a bunch of little volcanoes that explode with boring instead of lava.  So I just ignore all of those.  I dont have insomnia these days, so I dont need a cure for it.

Certain friends of mine will non-stop try to get me interested in the damn things regardless.  The entirety of the entertainment I get from that comes purely from watching them waste so much of their own time on something so futile.  I really have no idea why they try to do that.

Now as for World of Warships, I'll just be playing that with randoms, same as I do in WoT.  Nobody I know will buy or play anything that isnt a big RPG or major AAA title of some sort, so they wont play that.  It doesnt have mind-blowing graphics and a million cutscenes, oh noes!  So, randoms it is, and screw voice chat.

And that's why I tend to go for online-only multiplayer games these days.  Aint any point in LOCAL stuffs since nobody I know would touch whatever it is.   Well, no, they will play fighting games, but will usually refuse to fight me specifically.  So that doesnt really help.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2016, 03:22:01 am »

It's a slower paced WoT.  It's an ok game.  Worth a go if you like WoT.    Armored Warfare is another in the same vein.

Boats! Boats! Boats!

I know. I am a valuable contributor.

This is about 1802% better than that gun control thread. I wish I could click a button to permanently banish that thread.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2016, 01:04:10 pm »
So is development ongoing with the Arcen 4x (forgot it's name..) or what exactly? If the 2 main guys make each their own games, then that's great. But who works on the 4x?

Ps.: As far as F2P grind games go, World of Warships is about as good as it gets. Some of the games can be meh, some can be great. Generally it's always fun though.
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk