Author Topic: Prerelease 1.009E (Cheat Codes and AI Updates).  (Read 10465 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Prerelease 1.009E (Cheat Codes and AI Updates).
« on: July 03, 2009, 05:38:43 pm »
Here's the latest prerelease:  http://www.arcengames.com/share/AIWar1009E.zip

UPDATE: If you previously downloaded 1.009D, you probably ran into the ship placement bug that Admiral reported below.  The E version is now linked above, and is identical to the prior D except for that one fix.

That version is an upgrade from version 1.008, so you have to already have 1.008 (or greater) installed. Just unzip it into your game folder (usually C:\Program Files\Arcen Games\AI War\ unless you specified something else). Please make sure that your unzip process keeps the folder structure from the zip file, rather than just unpacking all of the files into the base target directory.

What's new since 1.009B (C was a minor release in another thread):
(Cumulative release notes since 1.008 are attached at the bottom)

-------------------

-If the music stream gets corrupted, it should no longer crash the game.

-Previously, pressing comma when not in-game could sometimes cause a crash.  Fixed.

-All of the checkboxes in the lobby now have their tooltips show up on the right of themselves.  In recent releases, the left-most column was sometimes not visible under their own tooltips.

-The tooltip font size in the lobby no longer scales up with the "Extra Tooltip Font Size" setting.  That settings is now for in-game tooltips only.

-The four different ship type abilities that are AI-only now only show "AI ONLY" in parentheses behind them to be more clear.

-Ion cannon shots are no longer blocked by counter-sniper turrets.

-The guard radius for AI ships has been increased slightly, and the radius into which they retreat has been increased as well.  This should stop the large bunches of ships from not being able to find a place to stop.

-The AI Progress now goes up by 30 points when a human player's home planet command station is destroyed.  This is only relevant for multiplayer.

-A new "Show Icons at" slider has been added to the settings screen.  This allows players to tweak the threshold of zoom at which the "far zoom" icons are shown instead of the actual ship graphics.

-A new "Always Show Selected Unit Hover Text" option has been added.  There is also now a background for this, and the columns for the selected units now show up evenly.

-The tooltip text for some of the checkboxes in the lobby was confusing in regard to whether the checkbox needed to be checked or unchecked to enable the type (they are all checked = enabled, unchecked = disabled).  This wording has been fixed.

-The lobby now has an option for enabling cheats.  The first fifteen cheats are also now available (see ArcenWiki for details: http://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=AI_War_-_Cheats).

-Metal and crystal harvesters that are being manually placed now "snap" to their final placement locations even before they are placed.  Thus if there is a problem at the final location, it is found; no more cases where automatic placement would fail, but manual placement would erroneously work.

-Previously, engineers could not assist another engineer that was under construction if the under-construction engineer was already given a repair order.  Fixed.

-The AI is now MUCH more intelligent about how it sends batches of ships through wormholes to player planets.  It will try to batch its ships together instead of letting them trickle through, which lets them be much more damaging and surprising with just the same number of ships as they previously had. A new "wait point" mechanism has been added to the underlying AI capabilities in order to support this, in addition to some other AI data structure extensions.  This is all handled on the AI thread, so it doesn't slow down the main simulation.

-The game no longer tries to sync planet rotations, and now silently skips bad syncs of foreground object rotation.  This allows for greater compatibility with non-English-language OSes playing with one another.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 12:33:45 pm by x4000 »
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Admiral

Re: Prerelease 1.009D (Cheat Codes and AI Updates).
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 05:49:35 pm »
-A new "Show Icons at" slider has been added to the settings screen.  This allows players to tweak the threshold of zoom at which the "far zoom" icons are shown instead of the actual ship graphics.

Yay!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 05:51:26 pm »
:)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Admiral

Can't build turrets?
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 07:28:58 pm »
I built four turrets in Komond, but now can't seem to build any more anywhere... Despite having plenty on my build limits. They always show "red" icons that "can't build here."

CORRECTION: I can't build anything using command posts or mobile builders!

CORRECTION 2: Neither can my ally...

Help?

Cheers!

UPDATE: Quitting the game and reloading does not solve the problem.

UPDATE 2: Reverting to 1.009B does not allow the game to be loaded, so I could not test if that would fix things.

UPDATE 3: A new game started in 1.009D exhibits the same problem. After building all the metal and crystal harvesters on my starting planet, I could no longer build anything else (despite having the metal, crystal and energy for it).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 08:13:33 pm by Admiral »

Offline Admiral

Sidebar (all the ships) overlays the score display
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 07:38:33 pm »
When the sidebar gets too long, but not long enough to split into two columns, it will overlay the score display in the bottom left.

Cheers!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
Re: Can't build turrets?
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 08:16:09 pm »
I built four turrets in Komond, but now can't seem to build any more anywhere... Despite having plenty on my build limits. They always show "red" icons that "can't build here."

CORRECTION: I can't build anything using command posts or mobile builders!

CORRECTION 2: Neither can my ally...

Help?

Cheers!

UPDATE: Quitting the game and reloading does not solve the problem.

UPDATE 2: Reverting to 1.009B does not allow the game to be loaded, so I could not test if that would fix things.

UPDATE 3: A new game started in 1.009D exhibits the same problem. After building all the metal and crystal harvesters on my starting planet, I could no longer build anything else (despite having the metal, crystal and energy for it).

My bad, this is a bug in 1.009D.  I'll have a fix in just a couple of minutes, sorry about that!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 08:25:56 pm »
Okay, here's a fix to that placement mode bug:  http://www.arcengames.com/share/AIWar1009E.zip

I'm also going to update the original post in this thread to link to the new one -- that was a nasty one, glad you found it.  I would have seen that tonight in my play session with my alpha testers, but I'm surprised I didn't notice it earlier this afternoon when I was doing my unit testing. :/

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
Re: Sidebar (all the ships) overlays the score display
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 08:38:46 pm »
When the sidebar gets too long, but not long enough to split into two columns, it will overlay the score display in the bottom left.

I haven't seen this, but reviewing the code I can see where that could happen in a few circumstances if you have a lot of double-tall entries in that single list.  I've added a fix for the next (F) version that will include that.  Thanks!

Offline Admiral

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 08:40:21 pm »
Okay, here's a fix to that placement mode bug:  http://www.arcengames.com/share/AIWar1009E.zip

I'm also going to update the original post in this thread to link to the new one -- that was a nasty one, glad you found it.  I would have seen that tonight in my play session with my alpha testers, but I'm surprised I didn't notice it earlier this afternoon when I was doing my unit testing. :/

Great! Thanks, and I thought you were on vacation. We started a new game on 1.009B, but now we'll go back to the original game on 1.009E.

Like I always tell my son... "You so totally rock, Squirt!" (Finding Nemo)

Cheers!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 08:44:29 pm »
Great! Thanks, and I thought you were on vacation. We started a new game on 1.009B, but now we'll go back to the original game on 1.009E.

Like I always tell my son... "You so totally rock, Squirt!" (Finding Nemo)

Glad that works!  My vacation doesn't technically start until about 9:30 tonight. ;)

I loved Finding Nemo, too.  If you haven't seen Up yet, it's really amazing.  Surprisingly adult emotions for a kids movie, especially near the start.

Offline Admiral

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 08:47:50 pm »
If you haven't seen Up yet, it's really amazing.  Surprisingly adult emotions for a kids movie, especially near the start.

I would like to, but there are no cinemas near me showing it in non-3D. I will probably have to get it on Blu-ray when it comes out. I don't really want to subject my son to the 3D glasses (he's five) as I've read that it can cause problems for children's visual development.

Cheers!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 08:53:46 pm »
I don't really want to subject my son to the 3D glasses (he's five) as I've read that it can cause problems for children's visual development.

Interesting, I did not know that -- I'll have to read up on that more before too long, then.  Thanks for the tip, there.

Offline Admiral

3D movies
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 10:07:15 pm »
Interesting, I did not know that -- I'll have to read up on that more before too long, then.  Thanks for the tip, there.

It has something to do with the fact that the brain gets 3D information from several sources:

a) Parallax: The difference in what is seen between the left and right eyes (which is emulated using 3D glasses)
b) Eye geometry: Where each eye is pointed (which is what usually causes eyestrain with 3D movies), converging as objects get closer
c) Eye focus (self explanatory)

I don't remember the details, but apparently the brain isn't very "plastic" about this, unlike hearing. (There was an experiment where people put in special earplugs to change the shape of their ears. They lost 3D hearing until their brains figured things out again, and then when they removed the plugs, they reverted to the old 3D hearing without any adjustment.)

A quick google search turned up this article on the 3D issue: http://www.slate.com/id/2215265/pagenum/all/

Cheers!

Offline Admiral

Pausing bug
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 10:16:20 pm »
On the same saved game (with the 1.009D bug), I re-loaded in 1.009E and then after a few seconds, paused the game on the laptop. The desktop said "Paused" but the laptop continued to say "Pausing..." without ever going to "Paused." I was unable to do anything game-wise on the laptop (couldn't un-pause). The desktop could un-pause and then would continue playing.

TBS-style pausing was enabled on both computers.

Just won't pause this weekend. Exciting. :)

Cheers!

UPDATE: Unable to replicate it immediately. I will save and test the pausing periodically this evening.

Also, noticed my "handle" in the "Credits Roll" in the first screen of the game. Exciting, thanks! I haven't had a credit in a game since Space Empires IV...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 10:19:13 pm by Admiral »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
Re: Pausing bug
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 10:23:06 pm »
On the same saved game (with the 1.009D bug), I re-loaded in 1.009E and then after a few seconds, paused the game on the laptop. The desktop said "Paused" but the laptop continued to say "Pausing..." without ever going to "Paused." I was unable to do anything game-wise on the laptop (couldn't un-pause). The desktop could un-pause and then would continue playing.

TBS-style pausing was enabled on both computers.

Just won't pause this weekend. Exciting. :)

Cheers!

UPDATE: Unable to replicate it immediately. I will save and test the pausing periodically this evening.

I also saw that once, but could not duplicate it.  Also seems to be something that only happens right at the start, when the host pauses the game before someone else connects, I think.

Also, noticed my "handle" in the "Credits Roll" in the first screen of the game. Exciting, thanks! I haven't had a credit in a game since Space Empires IV...

You bet!  If you want me to swap in your actual name, just let me know.  I don't put actual names in the game (even if I know them, which I don't in this case, anyway) without permission.  Thanks for all the great suggestions, you passed the 3 required for the credits addition a long time ago. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk