Author Topic: Tidalis Beta 1.008/9 (Unity 3.1, Second Keyboard Player, Bugfixes)  (Read 3729 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Original: http://arcengames.blogspot.com/2010/12/tidalis-beta-1008-unity-31-second.html

Has it really been three months since our last Tidalis update?  Sure looks like it.  The last update for Tidalis was uploaded two days before my son was born, so that fits.  To say that a lot has happened in the intervening time, both for me personally and for Arcen as well, would be a massive understatement.

One of the big things that's happened for Arcen since the last Tidalis release is that we ported AI War over to the Unity 3D engine.  Specifically, a newer version of the Unity 3D engine than Tidalis has been using.  That engine upgrade is faster, less buggy, and all around better -- but it was also a huge undertaking just to get AI War upgraded to it and fully stable.  We wrestled with an intermittent sound-related crash issue for OSX for a couple of months in the newer version of Unity, and that was a big part of the reason for the delay of upgrading Tidalis.

Now that we've got our engine level code for Unity 3.1 to a rock-solid place with AI War, we've backported it all to Tidalis.  This includes an enormous number of under-the-hood changes to our sound, music, and graphics pipelines.  The game will access data off the hard drive much less frequently, the graphics rendering is amazingly faster, and parsing of things like savegames and level files is 10x or more faster (though that's not super important, given those already parsed in less than a second, anyway).

Of course, with any major upgrade such as this, there is the risk of introducing new bugs -- hence why this is a beta update rather than the next official.  If things go well with people who test the beta, then we'll update the official version in the next few weeks.  This version includes a small number of bugfixes from reports of issues on 1.007, too, so that's another incentive to try the beta if you had one of those few problems with the prior version.

Also in this version: support for a second keyboard controller.  This also means that you can map two gamepads to keyboard controls and thus control the game comfortably with two gamepads for two players (using external gamepad mapping software that ships with most modern gamepads -- not the game directly, to be clear).  It also means that, technically, you can have three players per computer during network play: two on keyboard/gamepads, and one on the mouse.  We're still calling it a 1-4 player game, but technically you can now squeeze in up to 6 players if you are so inclined.

That new extra-keyboard-player feature is our free DLC for the next official update, and it's some rather heavy-lifting code-wise, so there's a possibility that might have introduced some new issues, too.  But in our internal testing, we're not aware of any issues from this or the engine upgrade, at this stage.

If you do run into any bugs, please let us know in the Tidalis section of our new Idea Tracker.  But, good or ill, we'd like to hear how the new version is doing for you.  If there are issues, we can correct them, and if it's doing great for you we'd also like to know that, so that we can gauge how comfortable we are with the new release in terms of readiness for an official update that would go out to all customers, not just those interested in helping us beta test.

As always, thank you for your support and help!  Here are the full release notes.

This is a standard update that you can download through the in-game updater itself, if you already have 1.000 or later. When you launch the game, you'll see the notice of the update having been found if you're connected to the Internet at the time.  If you don't have 1.000 or later, you can download that here.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 08:47:21 pm by x4000 »
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
Re: Tidalis Beta 1.008 (Unity 3.1, Second Keyboard Player, Bugfixes)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 08:55:24 am »
Awesome. Good to know you haven't forgotten about your fun little puzzle game. I'll have to beta test this too :)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 10:45:17 am »
Thank you!  And: yep, we definitely haven't forgotten about it.  We've got a lot of various things in the works surrounding Tidalis, actually.  It's coming to retail in at least one territory in Europe, it might be coming to some consoles (we'll see -- in early talks there), and I'm still hoping to get a web-based demo version of the game put out sometime this month.

At any rate, we definitely haven't forgotten!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline nl1dnv

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 05:51:24 pm »
Hi,

Found a bug after updating Tidalis. When playing the tutorial in tutorial 4, the whole screen goes green.

UnhandledErrors.txt:

Code: [Select]
12/10/2010 11:43:37 PM (1.008)
-----------------------------------Exception-----------------------------------
Log String: NullReferenceException
Stack Trace: UnityEngine.Material.SetColor (System.String propertyName, Color color)
UnityEngine.Material.set_color (Color value)
DelayedRenderer.RenderAll ()
MainCameraLogic.OnRenderObject ()

Offline Echo35

• Master Member Mark II
  • More turrets! MORE TURRETS!
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 08:43:07 pm »
Thank you!  And: yep, we definitely haven't forgotten about it.  We've got a lot of various things in the works surrounding Tidalis, actually.  It's coming to retail in at least one territory in Europe, it might be coming to some consoles (we'll see -- in early talks there), and I'm still hoping to get a web-based demo version of the game put out sometime this month.

At any rate, we definitely haven't forgotten!

If it could be played on either my DSi or my GP2X, I don't think anyone would hear from me for a few weeks :P

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 08:18:05 pm »
Coming out in a bit:

* Put in a fix for a mysterious white/green screen crash bug that appeared in the last version.  We were never able to duplicate the issue, but suspect it might be related to a slow-loading game image, or something like that.  The fix we put in is preventative, and should prevent the direct error that was previously happening from being possible.  However, it's possible that this same issue will manifest itself in some other form in this version, as we were essentially treating the symptoms, not the cause.  Hopefully by treating the symptoms the cause will become more clear; normally we'd treat the cause, but without being able to duplicate it that's not quite possible.

Offline Echo35

• Master Member Mark II
  • More turrets! MORE TURRETS!
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 08:19:08 pm »
Coming out in a bit:

* Put in a fix for a mysterious white/green screen crash bug that appeared in the last version.  We were never able to duplicate the issue, but suspect it might be related to a slow-loading game image, or something like that.  The fix we put in is preventative, and should prevent the direct error that was previously happening from being possible.  However, it's possible that this same issue will manifest itself in some other form in this version, as we were essentially treating the symptoms, not the cause.  Hopefully by treating the symptoms the cause will become more clear; normally we'd treat the cause, but without being able to duplicate it that's not quite possible.

I actually just now had the Green Screen of Death when I was playing. It happened when I beat a Puzzle and hit the button to move on to the next puzzle.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 08:24:33 pm »
That's so... odd.  Hopefully the preventative fix will fix it, anyway.  I tried a variety of things, and none of them worked for causing the issue!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff

Offline Valeroth

• Newbie Mark II
Re: Tidalis Beta 1.008/9 (Unity 3.1, Second Keyboard Player, Bugfixes)
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 09:31:45 pm »
Eeek!  How do we roll back to 1.007?  My GF and I have been playing through the game co-op, and upgrading hoping we could go back and complete a few levels that were unwinnable in co-op before, but now it crashes about 90% of the time on hers whenever we try to load a level.  My computer appears fine.    White Screen with a cursor is all she gets.

Is it possible to roll back without reinstalling the game?  Otherwise our Tidalis is on hold until 1.010.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
Re: Tidalis Beta 1.008/9 (Unity 3.1, Second Keyboard Player, Bugfixes)
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 11:20:00 am »
Sorry for the delay in my reply -- I've been in and out, and didn't see this.

My hope is to put out a new version of 1.010 today, but without details on what is actually happening on your girlfriend's computer (the crash log files), there's not much I can particularly do toward that specific issue.  Perhaps you already answered that one in Mantis, and if so please disregard this comment.

At any rate, you can download the 1.007 files from here if you like: http://tidalis.s3.amazonaws.com/updates/1007.zip

Simply unpack that zip file over top of your existing game folder, and it will go back to 1.007.  I apologize that you've been running into so much trouble with these newer betas, but at the same time I'm really grateful that both you and your girlfriend are helping us find these issues so that nobody runs into them in an official release.  It can be very tricky with various machines misbehaving and others not, which is why help like yours is so invaluable to us!  Again, just thanks for your trouble there.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk