Author Topic: Color Me...  (Read 2509 times)

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
Color Me...
« on: July 20, 2010, 11:45:33 pm »
...Impressed.

There's a lot of depth here for what is, essentially, a Pop-Cap game.  I've done a dozen or more of the adventure puzzles and the most recent block I've gotten to is Stone, then I poke my nose in at the custom games and what do I find?

Many, many, many block types.  Of intense variation and complexity of destruction methods.

Just wow.

I think I got more value out of this than the recent Alien Swarm game that came out Monday for free (it has only one official campaign, but to be fair the game is free).

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Color Me...
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 10:48:56 am »
Many thanks!  Lars did a pretty incredible job of keeping the adventure really varied the whole way through, too -- all those game styles, special blocks, and victory conditions get combined in seemingly endless variety for 115 levels (not counting all the brainteaser ones, of which there are around 69).

We really appreciate the support, and have been really pleased with how it turned out, as well. :)

Thanks again!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 11:36:50 am »
I'm not to fond of the imp (and company*) but the gameplay is astoundingly good.

*I suspect its because I'm having trouble remembering which one is which.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 11:39:48 am »
Well, the story progresses a lot as it goes.  There are over 40 cutscenes.  I think some folks get turned off before they even meet half of the characters (there are 7-9, depending on how you count it).  At any rate, Pickles the imp is a favorite around here, but not everyone will like that sort of humor.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 01:03:51 pm »
Yea, that's one of the troubles with storytelling in a game: no one style appeals to everyone, indeed I wouldn't be surprised if no one style appeals to more than 50% of folks.  So no matter how well we execute that style, some folks aren't going to like it.  I think this is even more true of the story than the game itself, which is saying something ;)

But I'm really glad you like the game, I also think it's something special (and normally I have little-to-no interest in the genre) :)

Also, I'm sure you've found some/all of this by now, but just to make sure: in addition to the number of special blocks (and items, which generally play a more minor role), mixing and matching those 20ish game modes can make for a _really_ different game.  Even just picking a pair gives you 400 combinations, though I couldn't say off hand how many of those would be fully enjoyable (most of them, I'd think).

And then there's the level editor, which gives you pretty much everything that custom game gives you (everything except the randomizer, I think), and gives you ultra-fine control over starting block placement, block frequencies, item frequencies, lets you set special win and loss objectives, etc, etc (I implemented the editor and I don't even remember all the things it lets you do).  Mega sandbox play potential there :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 01:58:08 pm »
Yea, that's one of the troubles with storytelling in a game: no one style appeals to everyone, indeed I wouldn't be surprised if no one style appeals to more than 50% of folks.  So no matter how well we execute that style, some folks aren't going to like it.  I think this is even more true of the story than the game itself, which is saying something ;)

True.

I do like the story, I'm just not enjoying the characters as I can't really relate to them.

Also, I'm sure you've found some/all of this by now, but just to make sure: in addition to the number of special blocks (and items, which generally play a more minor role), mixing and matching those 20ish game modes can make for a _really_ different game.  Even just picking a pair gives you 400 combinations, though I couldn't say off hand how many of those would be fully enjoyable (most of them, I'd think).

Definitely.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 02:39:47 pm »
Pickles is pretty relatable by the end, he's got an interesting arc.  But, I can see what you're saying.  Anyway, you feel how you feel, I certainly won't try to debate you on something that's a matter of opinion. ;)

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 02:52:05 pm »
Pickles is pretty relatable by the end, he's got an interesting arc.  But, I can see what you're saying.  Anyway, you feel how you feel, I certainly won't try to debate you on something that's a matter of opinion. ;)

Not asking for a change, just saying it bugs me.  "You can fool everyone some of the time and you can fool some of the people all of the time, but you can't fool everyone all the time," as they say.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 03:18:02 pm »
Oh, sure.  I understand.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk