Author Topic: Mac: black screen, then crash  (Read 13602 times)

Offline drpuppet

• Newbie Mark II
Re: Mac: black screen, then crash
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2015, 11:02:10 pm »
Ok, I'll try the "beta" option in Properties, but I am not hopeful.

Oh yes, of course it meets the requirements! It's a now-aging mid-2011 iMac, but it certainly can handle such games. As I have said, the demo works just fine, which is proof of that, I should think.

I would presume Chris would answer you before me, but I'll try in a day or two if I don't hear any updates from you.

At this point, I'd really just like keys for the direct-download versions of these games. It seems the way they interact (or don't) with Steam is what is causing the problem, as far as I can tell, and it seems like working it out somehow will be long and exhausting.

Offline drpuppet

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2015, 10:47:57 am »
Ok, thanks for the Beta idea. Unfortunately, it didn't work. Well, it did, but in the exact same way as the demo version: it loaded correctly, but it was somehow the "trial" version and wouldn't accept my Steam key (even though, of course, I was playing it through Steam!).

So yes, I'll email Chris too, then.

Offline drpuppet

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2015, 11:54:01 am »
So I tried the direct-download full version instead. It worked just fine! BUT then the menu said there was an update. I launched the Updater, it seemed to be going fine, but then Tidalis froze up again. The version number, I think, I had changed. So I tried relaunching it, and it crashed. Same thing second try! So I am afraid I have another crash report. Maybe it’s this specific version?

I decided to install the Arcen games on my external drive. Does that ever cause a problem?

As a temporary fix, I redownloaded the original version. It once again worked just fine, but now I am nervous about updating. Moreover, AVWW 1 & 2 are also asking to be updated, but I am worried that the same thing might happen!

I've attached the new crash report. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2015, 03:58:17 pm »
Blah!  Sometimes the forums don't email me about a topic, and this was one of them.  Sorry about that.

The overall solution to this (for the steam version) is probably to simply turn off the steam overlay for this particular game.  Just right-click the game in the steam settings and turn it off that way.  Things should then work just fine.

You can probably also launch the game directly from Finder in the steam version and not have any issues, too.

For the downloaded version, I'm not sure what the deal is exactly, but it's probably the same permissions issue from Valley 1 and 2 (your thread on those).  The Yosemite update sure has broken some of our older update stuff, BUT only in the context of when we do an engine upgrade, ironically.  Very frustrating.  Steam downloads are definitely the preferred way to go if you can, and installing those on an external drive or a thumb drive or your pocket watch should all work fine. ;)

Hope that helps, and huge apologies for missing this for so long!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk