Author Topic: What I Love About Each Race In The Last Federation  (Read 18910 times)

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
Re: What I Love About Each Race In The Last Federation
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 11:50:25 am »
I really enjoy how while each race is very different, they all are defined by their traits. Parnoids do crazy things, military strong races conquer, honorable races maintain a status quo.

I also enjoy how the vast majority are only concerned with their self interest...unless everything is doing well, then  more act in a traditionally "ideal" sense of the greater good.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 11:59:24 am »
Thanks!  I'm super pleased with how that turned out, too.

Incidentally, yesterday I finally figured out a way to make the Andors way more interesting.  I redid my designs for their parliament, and they now have 6 parties chosen at random at the start of the game from 12 overall parties that could be there.  Making them really vary from game to game.  You can help make speeches that bring one party more to the forefront, and the agenda of the ruling party of the time is a specific subset of political deals you can then make with them.  Along with a general agenda that is always there.

Interestingly, the Andors will do almost nothing to help themselves (except the Abstainers party), but instead are the busibodies all up in everyone else's business to help them.  And they refuse to take any other planets by force or train any ground troops, though they may set up blockades around a planet if they are at war with them.  Space battles are still very much on the table with them.  I'm really pleased with how much more interesting these guys suddenly are to me.

If you're interested, here are the agendas for each of the various parties:

General Agenda
Request Financial Aid
Broker Trade Route
Share tech with
Break Off Trade Route
Colonize Moon
Create The Federation With Other Race
Vote To Join Existing Federation

Political Speeches
Make Impassioned Speech For Party
Make Convincing Arguments Against Party

Roboticists
Industrialize All Robots
Help Acutians Solve Crime
Accelerate Mechanized Warship Mobilization
Invest In Mechanized Infrastructure
Help Acutian War Effort

Samaritans
Send Environmental Aid
Send Economic Aid
Send Medical Aid
Send Peacekeeers
Send Warship Engineers

Trade Union
Boost Trade Fleets Between Planets
Aid Other Planet In Colonizing Moon

Technologists
Research Specific Technology

Pluralists
Distribute Environmental Boosters
Distribute Financial Aid
Distribute Medical Technicians
Distribute Entertainment Packages
Stymie All Warship Production

Federationists
Pacify Distant AFA Demonstrators
Speak On Your Behalf
Convince Other Race To Join Federation

Pacifiers
Soothe Warlust
Broker Truce
Pacify Pirate Base

Environmentalists
Distribute Environmental Boosters
Send Environmental Aid
Deploy Terraforming Kit

Economists
Distribute Financial Aid
Send Economic Aid
Aid Other Planet In Colonizing Moon

Criminologists
Distribute Entertainment Packages
Send Peacekeeers
Destroy A Pirate Base

Pharmacists
Distribute Medical Technicians
Send Medical Aid
Research And Distribute Vaccine

Peacebrokers
Send Peacekeeers
Send Warship Engineers
Speak On Your Behalf
Soothe Warlust
Broker Truce

Abstainers
Prioritize The Environment
Industrialize
Invest In Repair Capabilities
Accelerate Warship Mobilization
Invest In Infrastructure
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 12:17:24 pm »
Wow! That is a lot more interesting.

And they refuse to take any other planets by force or train any ground troops,

Do you mean offensive ground troops (and thus the race still has defensive troops / militia) or are they super vulnerable to any sneeze that carries a gun?
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 12:38:56 pm »
Civilians can also fight back, but not with very good strength. However, it never comes to ground fighting unless the space fleets are destroyed first. So yeah, if their space fleet falls, their planet is super vilnerable.  So maintaining that buffer is pretty important for them. Or having allies that can help maintain the buffer.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2013, 01:08:45 pm »
:)  This seems like one of those... I'll still be thinking of stuff even after it launches kind of things.  :)  Which sounds wonderful to me! Maybe an expansion in there. I'm hoping the press gets on to how different this is than other space games. Looking forward to seeing the in-game play and how it works and all the interesting screens (i'm a bit ocd with all the detail stuff)   :)

-Teal

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2013, 03:31:48 pm »
I am hoping that we can make this into as ongoing and huge of a thing as AI War in terms of longevity and so forth, but I guess we shall see.  This is the largest and most vibrant universe we've done, and I would really love to work more in this one compared to anything else we've done, at this point.

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2013, 04:37:29 pm »
I am hoping that we can make this into as ongoing and huge of a thing as AI War in terms of longevity and so forth, but I guess we shall see.  This is the largest and most vibrant universe we've done, and I would really love to work more in this one compared to anything else we've done, at this point.
I've never seen you this passionate or excited about a project since AI War. In that sense, it kind of seems like returning to your roots. I hope that it is successful. Well, I have no doubt that it will be.

I hope that it's successful enough to merit the quantity of expansions than your first game has.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2013, 04:57:44 pm »
It's true, I'd say.  I'm always excited about every project we do, but this one scratches some itches I've had for a very long time.  "Interactive storytelling" is something that I've always been fascinated with, and in some respects that what this game is.  Same as Dwarf Fortress, really.  This doesn't have a ton of text, that's not what I mean.  Even AI War is kind of an interactive storytelling game, to a lesser extent -- you form these long relationships with planets and the AI, and that's what drives the AARs/LPs.

My wife and I still grumble about a planet called "Cuasnomas" that we haven't seen since about April 2009, before AI War even came out publicly -- that's what I mean about there being this kind of emergent story.  To us that was a real and meaningful place, and yet nobody else has ever been there but us, and nobody ever will be there.  That sort of thing is so cool to me!

With Valley 1 I had hoped to do that in a more direct fashion, with more text and characters rather than wider places, but that just didn't work out.  We made a really cool game, but it wasn't really an interactive storytelling experience in at all the way I'd hoped.  Instead it was a really fun procedurally-generated Metroidvania.  That was fine, because that was also an itch I had.

With Skyward Collapse, once again we toed into that water, but it didn't really work out in the sense of interactive storytelling.  Once again we made a really cool game, this time kind of subverting the god-game genre and making this hilarious chaos-management simulator.  In some respects it has "hilarity generation" in the same vein as Dwarf Fortress, which I was really pleased about.  But while that is fun, it isn't the sort of game you are going to see an LP or AAR about, because it's all too chaotic and magical to really have the same sort of meaning.  You are also riding herd over the factions, versus being more directly vested, and I think that also has an influence.

TLF is kind of the opposite of AI War, in some respects.  AI War is about scope, TLF is about depth.  In AI War there's so many ships and planets that it can be a struggle just to simulate it all even on modern processors, so there are limitations on certain things that we just can't do.  We also introduced things like the Champions for giving the player a more direct hero-like character, and while that is fun, it's sort of a sideshow.  The game isn't built around it.  So with TLF I wanted to build the experience around being a mercenary, kind of harkening back to my Star Control 2 itch.  And I also wanted to keep the number of planets and ships to a reasonably small number so that we could do incredibly detailed simulations of them, scratching my SimCity sense.

I also wanted it to be kind of the opposite of Skyward Collapse, too, and it is.  Rather than being distant and disconnected, you're right in the middle of it.  Even though you can't control the world, you control yourself and your ships very directly.  And bargain very directly, etc, too.  But even more than that, while Skyward Collapse is a chaos-management game where anything can happen rapidly, I wanted TLF to follow from "first cause" more.  Yes all sorts of crazy things can happen, and unexpected twists and turns are all over the place and are really fun.  But there is still the sense of a logical progression and build to the whole thing, versus just getting jerked around like in Skyward Collapse (which is, admittedly, part of the charm of that game; but not what I wanted to do here).

In a lot of ways, this game is a reaction to AI War, Valley 1, and Skyward Collapse.  It scratches a whole lot of itches for me that I've been struggling to scratch for most of my professional career at this point.  So yeah, I'm happy. :D

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2013, 08:33:46 pm »
It's true, I'd say.  I'm always excited about every project we do, but this one scratches some itches I've had for a very long time.  "Interactive storytelling" is something that I've always been fascinated with, and in some respects that what this game is.  Same as Dwarf Fortress, really.  This doesn't have a ton of text, that's not what I mean.  Even AI War is kind of an interactive storytelling game, to a lesser extent -- you form these long relationships with planets and the AI, and that's what drives the AARs/LPs.

My wife and I still grumble about a planet called "Cuasnomas" that we haven't seen since about April 2009, before AI War even came out publicly -- that's what I mean about there being this kind of emergent story.  To us that was a real and meaningful place, and yet nobody else has ever been there but us, and nobody ever will be there.  That sort of thing is so cool to me!

With Valley 1 I had hoped to do that in a more direct fashion, with more text and characters rather than wider places, but that just didn't work out.  We made a really cool game, but it wasn't really an interactive storytelling experience in at all the way I'd hoped.  Instead it was a really fun procedurally-generated Metroidvania.  That was fine, because that was also an itch I had.

With Skyward Collapse, once again we toed into that water, but it didn't really work out in the sense of interactive storytelling.  Once again we made a really cool game, this time kind of subverting the god-game genre and making this hilarious chaos-management simulator.  In some respects it has "hilarity generation" in the same vein as Dwarf Fortress, which I was really pleased about.  But while that is fun, it isn't the sort of game you are going to see an LP or AAR about, because it's all too chaotic and magical to really have the same sort of meaning.  You are also riding herd over the factions, versus being more directly vested, and I think that also has an influence.

TLF is kind of the opposite of AI War, in some respects.  AI War is about scope, TLF is about depth.  In AI War there's so many ships and planets that it can be a struggle just to simulate it all even on modern processors, so there are limitations on certain things that we just can't do.  We also introduced things like the Champions for giving the player a more direct hero-like character, and while that is fun, it's sort of a sideshow.  The game isn't built around it.  So with TLF I wanted to build the experience around being a mercenary, kind of harkening back to my Star Control 2 itch.  And I also wanted to keep the number of planets and ships to a reasonably small number so that we could do incredibly detailed simulations of them, scratching my SimCity sense.

I also wanted it to be kind of the opposite of Skyward Collapse, too, and it is.  Rather than being distant and disconnected, you're right in the middle of it.  Even though you can't control the world, you control yourself and your ships very directly.  And bargain very directly, etc, too.  But even more than that, while Skyward Collapse is a chaos-management game where anything can happen rapidly, I wanted TLF to follow from "first cause" more.  Yes all sorts of crazy things can happen, and unexpected twists and turns are all over the place and are really fun.  But there is still the sense of a logical progression and build to the whole thing, versus just getting jerked around like in Skyward Collapse (which is, admittedly, part of the charm of that game; but not what I wanted to do here).

In a lot of ways, this game is a reaction to AI War, Valley 1, and Skyward Collapse.  It scratches a whole lot of itches for me that I've been struggling to scratch for most of my professional career at this point.  So yeah, I'm happy. :D

I'd say you have reason to be quite proud, even at this early juncture, and even before release, because it is becoming what you have wanted it to be, complex and emergent, different and fun, deep and both the expected and the unexpected in how it plays through scenarios.  :)  I'm looking forward to it, but before it all goes public and the world does whatever it is the world does, I would suggest you take a quiet moment to just be glad you get to do what is so cool, and that you have worked on some games that literally no one else could have pulled off.  :)

Hope i'm not sounding too pushy, haha, have a good night!
-Teal

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2013, 07:43:52 am »
Thanks for the bucking up teal, I do appreciate the reminder sometimes. :)

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2013, 12:52:16 pm »
I had hoped to just be encouraging, but on reflection, it seems that i have made it sound like a back-handed compliment, which actually is not what i wanted. Maybe one of these days i will figure out how to say something nice without sounding sour about it. Anyway, TLF sounds wonderful and I know we are all hoping for the best. Another hit like AI War would be much rejoiced by everyone. Take care and sorry for the sort of 'off' encouragement of earlier. Maybe if i just keep it short and say, 'We are all hoping for the Best' would be best? Sometime i talk to much.  :) 

-Teal

« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 05:03:55 pm by Teal_Blue »

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2013, 02:41:40 pm »
I think you're reading way too much into it. This is just a forum. Anybody here at this time is a fan or well-wisher of the team.
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2013, 05:05:16 pm »
I think you're reading way too much into it. This is just a forum. Anybody here at this time is a fan or well-wisher of the team.

:)  You are probably right.  Thanks!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2013, 11:29:56 am »
Yep, I wouldn't read too much into it at all, I didn't take it the wrong way. :)

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2013, 06:32:40 pm »
Whew!! Thanks.  :) 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk