Author Topic: Some feedback from my first few hours  (Read 934 times)

Offline Scipi

Some feedback from my first few hours
« on: April 19, 2014, 12:11:16 am »
So far, the game is great. Having an absolute blast with it :D

Some things I've noticed in my first few hours playing, though:

-In the first mission, the tutorial part explaining the power management seems a bit abrupt in how it changes screens when previous tutorials in the mission were just overlayed on the tactical screen with the game paused.

-Clicking the X on the detail screen of faction relations should take you back to the faction relations overview, imo. Atm, it takes you back to the solar system view and you have to click faction relations again to see the overview.

-Some garbled text in the description for assassinating Queens (at the part it was talking about Acutian CEO's being impossible to kill). Dunno if this was due to my resolution or if it's for everyone (my resolution is something around 1440x720(?))

-Some ships move way too fast for the player to catch up to. I understand that this should be an outcome of being ill-equipped in a battle, but these faster ships appear early in the game and it's difficult to take them out because while you can shadow them and catch up, your bullets cannot. I expect the "Fire at point" command can help here, but a "Fire at angle" command would be more useful.

-There really should be a, "generate random mission" option in the game. It'd be cool to practice the tactical part of the game without having to commit to a campaign.

-I like how in AI War, you provided a mini campaign to show the player the tactics and tools at their disposal and help them get a sense about how they need to think about the game. This game could benefit very much with that being part of its tutorials, particularly for players like me who get lost in these kind of games with no real clear direction in how the player can solve problems.

-Right now, if a dialogue generating event comes up while fast forwarding (say the Thoraxians become space faring) the first good chunk of the message can't really be heard too well, particularly if a lot of other stuff is going on. It'd be nice if there were a option to make the game pause on those kind of important events.

-It is difficult to see which bullets are allied and which are enemy. While I could expect this may be a part of SHMUPs in general, it would be nice to have as an option to highlight friendly shots.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 12:47:07 am by Scipi »

Offline Chthon

• Sr. Member Mark II
Re: Some feedback from my first few hours
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 02:06:20 am »
-Some ships move way too fast for the player to catch up to. I understand that this should be an outcome of being ill-equipped in a battle, but these faster ships appear early in the game and it's difficult to take them out because while you can shadow them and catch up, your bullets cannot. I expect the "Fire at point" command can help here, but a "Fire at angle" command would be more useful.
I agree this is annoying, but there are tricks to dealing with these speed demons.  Watching which way they are turning for their run on you, you can maneuver into their flight path, and get a nice barrage jammed down their Bow.  Just remember you can switch to engines out of weapons for a quick burst of speed, and then back when they are in range to blow them all to heck.

Alternately you can use after burners to catch them.  About 3-4 engines and after burners is enough to keep up with them or sometimes pass them.  This gives you SO much power to pump into weapons and shields as you wish too.

-It is difficult to see which bullets are allied and which are enemy. While I could expect this may be a part of SHMUPs in general, it would be nice to have as an option to highlight friendly shots.

While I have my own problem with my interceptors and enemy missiles (or my small ships and their small ships... Colorblind mode please?  Blue for me, Red for enemy, White for ally?) Enemy bullets aren't an issue.  On your planning phase, every bullet you see is the enemy's.  All the bullets that you or allies fired (that won't hit you) are shadowed out.  Look closely, you'll see the shadows, but they're easy to ignore while you plan your route.

If there are that many bullets around you, perhaps it is time to beat feet and regroup elsewhere ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk