Author Topic: TLF Version 1.003 Released (Permadeath Becomes Optional )  (Read 6424 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
TLF Version 1.003 Released (Permadeath Becomes Optional )
« on: April 22, 2014, 09:47:46 pm »
Original: http://arcengames.blogspot.com/2014/04/tlf-version-1003-released-permadeath.html

Version 1.003 is now out, and is another biggie.  There are a couple of new features today, instead of just one:

1. Permadeath is now optional, and off by default.  Instead you "narrowly escape" from battles that you would otherwise die in, and it gives you a time penalty in solar map months.  This is a nontrivial penalty, in that things on the solar map may get out of hand -- so just fighting until you die still isn't the best idea; withdrawing is better.  However, if you do wind up making a mistake that gets you killed, it's not just something that encourages savescumming by putting its boot in your face.  This was a common request.

2. Being "kited" by the Velociter flagships was a huge complaint, and something that has been addressed.  But while we were at it, we also split the Velociter into Type A and Type B models, with different attack patterns that are interesting to deal with.

3. The (arguably) most common remaining combat exploits are now dealt with, although there's still more to do.  The big thing is that you can't cheese docking missions anymore, and you can't grind burlust duels.  Burlust duels themselves still need work for the actual battles themselves, but either way the results of their battles are now more interesting and also non-cheeseable.

Then there's a bunch of other fixes and improvements, including but not limited to:

* Holy smokes there was a bug that was causing your health and shields to be way lowered in combat at various times, mainly when loading a savegame taken in the middle of combat.

* When a race takes over a planet, the RCI values are now closer to a clean slate rather than something that gets increasingly war-torn like in the last version.  That didn't work so well.

* The everpresent complaint about the missing Boarine federation deals is now addressed; thanks for your patience on that one!

* Races were -- sigh -- not unlocking any new hull types that they didn't start the game with.  No racial flagships, no expanded turrets, no expanded hydral tech, nothing.  That's now fixed.  So in effect there are now a bunch of "new" ships for players (at least those that were not in earlier versions of the alpha).

* You can now see what is going on with the ground troop numbers attacking and defending planets right on the solar map, which is kind of a big deal!

Today continues our releasing at least one new free feature (or in this case three) everyday of the work week , thanks to the overwhelming support this game has had.  Seriously, this is now our best launch ever, and that gap keeps widening by surprising degrees.  We're extremely grateful to our ever-growing community for their support, as well as to the press for taking the time out to look at our stuff.  You guys are all awesome!

After this week, we'll continue putting out at least one new free feature every week for at least a few months, if not longer.  A quest, a new weapon or ability, a new ship, a new action... something.  We'll vary it up, and make it fun.  I'm really excited about expanding the game even further, as large as it already is.  Right now we're doing that very fast in response to all the huge numbers of new players and all the things that a larger audience is bound to dig up in a game of this scope and complexity; once that settles down, we'll make it less intensive but still ongoing.

More to come tomorrow.  Enjoy!

This is a standard update that you can download through the  in-game updater, or if you have Steam it will automatically update it for you.  To force Steam to download it faster, just restart Steam and it will do so.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Azurian

• Space is a beautiful place
Re: TLF Version 1.003 Released (Permadeath Becomes Optional )
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 09:58:33 pm »
Can you give us a hint or tease us  what tomorrow's new feature might be?
PLEASE REPORT FEEDBACK TO MANTIS IF YOU WANT THEM TO SEE IT!
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/view_all_bug_page.php

Offline fishy

• Newbie Mark II
MISSING LOCALIZATION
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 10:13:50 pm »
MISSING LOCALIZATION Conduct_Name_Permadeath
MISSING LOCALIZATION Conduct_Desc_Permadeath
MISSING LOCALIZATION ShipSystem_TetraBulletMiddling_Name
MISSING LOCALIZATION ShipSystem_VelociterSniperTurret_Name
MISSING LOCALIZATION Ship_Prefix_FlagshipVelociterB
MISSING LOCALIZATION Ship_Name_FlagshipVelociterB
MISSING LOCALIZATION Ship_Description_FlagshipVelociterB

Some errors with verified steam install.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 10:17:48 pm by fishy »

Offline SuperCactus

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 10:17:51 pm »
Haha! Can't wait? What about the surprise effect?

I'd like to tell you that you really did/do a great job on this game, strictly speaking about game design this is so refreshing. I think I have been waiting for this game forever, the last time I had a game blow my mind like this it was the first time I played Master of Orion 2 or XCOM (first of the name), I can say this game is in my best games ever hall of fame without a doubt. You really have something going on here, I won't be surprised if the community keep growing to astonomous proportions, if it doesn't there's no hope for mankind  ;).

EDIT: OMG! Just became a fanboy!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 10:20:39 pm by SuperCactus »

Offline Azurian

• Space is a beautiful place
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 10:21:47 pm »
PLEASE REPORT FEEDBACK TO MANTIS IF YOU WANT THEM TO SEE IT!
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/view_all_bug_page.php

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 10:25:45 pm »
Can you give us a hint or tease us  what tomorrow's new feature might be?

I don't fully know myself, to be honest.  I know what my current plan is, but if something more urgent comes up (in my view) then I will switch things.  The permadeath change was not originally on my list for today, for instance, and yet it became the defining feature of this version. :)

MISSING LOCALIZATION Conduct_Name_Permadeath
MISSING LOCALIZATION Conduct_Desc_Permadeath
MISSING LOCALIZATION ShipSystem_TetraBulletMiddling_Name
MISSING LOCALIZATION ShipSystem_VelociterSniperTurret_Name
MISSING LOCALIZATION Ship_Prefix_FlagshipVelociterB
MISSING LOCALIZATION Ship_Name_FlagshipVelociterB
MISSING LOCALIZATION Ship_Description_FlagshipVelociterB

Some errors with verified steam install.

My bad!  I forgot to push the loca file and a couple of images in the steam build; they were in the independent build only.  I'm still getting used to my revised workflow to include the independent builds.  If you restart steam now, it will do a small update and fix that.

I'd like to tell you that you really did/do a great job on this game, strictly speaking about game design this is so refreshing. I think I have been waiting for this game forever, the last time I had a game blow my mind like this it was the first time I played Master of Orion 2 or XCOM (first of the name), I can say this game is in my best games ever hall of fame without a doubt. You really have something going on here, I won't be surprised if the community keep growing to astonomous proportions, if it doesn't there's no hope for mankind  ;).

EDIT: OMG! Just became a fanboy!

Thank you so much!  That really means a lot, and this is really a very personal project for me. :)  It's really a conglomeration of a lot of things I've wanted to do for a long time.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline fishy

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 10:30:39 pm »

My bad!  I forgot to push the loca file and a couple of images in the steam build; they were in the independent build only.  I'm still getting used to my revised workflow to include the independent builds.  If you restart steam now, it will do a small update and fix that.

Looks good now!  :D  Thanks for the quick fix!  8)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 10:36:37 pm »
My pleasure!  Thanks for pointing it out so quick, before I went to bed. :)  Which is where I'm now heading, so goodnight all!

Offline kosmoface

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 10:46:40 pm »
Thanks for not having to savescum anymore.

Offline Billick

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 10:54:06 pm »
Is it now possible to lose on the strategic map (like if the terror empire takes over the whole solar system?)

Offline BobTheJanitor

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 10:56:03 pm »
Is it now possible to lose on the strategic map (like if the terror empire takes over the whole solar system?)

It was possible to do this in previous versions, so it should be just as possible in this one.

Offline Chthon

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 10:56:22 pm »
I'm going to go ahead and complain about the velociter nerf.  Velociters were a handy challenge to the player in figuring out how to deal with them.  The only issue I see with them is how early they are in the tech tree.  You should give the player time to adjust to combat before throwing issues like them at the player.

Seriously, dealing with the old velociters was easy once you knew how and broke up some of the tedium of combat.  Now I feel that those ships are more the same as the others.  If players would simply learn to stop trying to chase something that they couldn't catch, and instead made it come to them, and predict where they'd be, they'd realize how easy a velociter is.  The trick is doing so while in combat with the main riff raff.  When you do though, it's satisfying to pop one of those every pass in a single combat turn.

Offline BobTheJanitor

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 11:28:45 pm »
I think that this:

*While you are docking with something, if you take damage or use an ability, it now adds a turn back to your time-remaining-to-dock. So you can't just camp on a dockable and spam abilities, or just sit there and tank shots if you have a lot of health.

is somewhat problematic. If I'm reading it right, this means that any mission where you have to dock with anything (except a drop zone) has now turned into a 'you must slaughter everything in sight' mission. So now you can't even do the first mission in the game peacefully, right? Or any tech theft without killing every defender? Or any mission to capture Hydral technology without killing all of those giant ships? Seems like the pendulum has swung a bit too far on this one, no?

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 11:52:03 pm »
I think that this:

*While you are docking with something, if you take damage or use an ability, it now adds a turn back to your time-remaining-to-dock. So you can't just camp on a dockable and spam abilities, or just sit there and tank shots if you have a lot of health.

is somewhat problematic. If I'm reading it right, this means that any mission where you have to dock with anything (except a drop zone) has now turned into a 'you must slaughter everything in sight' mission. So now you can't even do the first mission in the game peacefully, right? Or any tech theft without killing every defender? Or any mission to capture Hydral technology without killing all of those giant ships? Seems like the pendulum has swung a bit too far on this one, no?

I have not tried it in the game, but when I read that I had exactly the same concern as you. People already were complaining of impossibility to doing the first docking mission... It looks like now it's trully impossible. Need to try that myself.

Offline Cire

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 12:06:29 am »
Sweet, update. I didn't realize the boarines not wanting join my federation was a bug, I thought they were just THAT isolationist. Time for another Thoraxian + Burlust + Boarine Federation attempt.
As for the update where you take damage on docking missions, it seems fine to me. Yeah, you could (and it would be easier if you did) destroy all the enemy ships, but it's actually sometimes incredibly difficult to eradicate the smaller ships that zip around. What you have to end up doing is putting power into the engines and dodging all the bullets while staying in range of the station. Made it more interactive than putting power into the shields and repeatedly pressing q to 'hold fire', so I enjoy it.
EDIT: I see, the first mission is really the issue, depending on what race you fight against. I was able to peacefully do the Skylaxian start no problem, but the Acutians were crowding the station, so no go. Plus on quick start, with no way to mod your engines, that would be a problem.
My bit of gripe with this update is with the Burlust change. I killed a warlord (knowing they would go on a rampage and attack the weakest race - my enemy) and then after they captured that planet, they attacked a race I wanted to be friendly with. I used leverage to tell the Burlusts to stop attacking, and they agreed and were no longer at war, but the ships wouldn't leave - a couple months later, the planet was captured. So it seems either they were still in this new "turmoil" state (which I would appreciate an event timer for on the strategic map, by the way) or they agreed to a truce they didn't plan on agreeing to (I haven't heard of that being a thing, though).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 12:13:49 am by Cire »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk