Author Topic: Selling Slaves Never Worth It  (Read 2432 times)

Offline casualsax

• Newbie Mark II
Selling Slaves Never Worth It
« on: April 23, 2014, 06:08:00 pm »
I feel that the cost of selling slaves is never worth the reward.  I think that the credits for selling a slave should go up.  Either that, or make it so that you take a big hit when you sell your first slave ("That Hydral's a slaver!")  but afterwards no negative effect except for the race being sold ("That Hydral's selling Skylaxians again, haha, do they even lift?").

Offline Rujasu

Re: Selling Slaves Never Worth It
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 06:12:49 pm »
I don't know, I sold tens of thousands of credits worth of slaves in my last game and still had no trouble winning. It's not always worth it, but there's definitely moments when one might want to consider doing so.

Offline GC13

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 06:18:28 pm »
Well, later in the game you tend to have a ton of influence, but it doesn't do anything beyond a certain point. Once you're there, burning some goodwill on selling enemy pilots to slavers seems like a much better idea.
Furthermore, it is my opinion that Hari must be destroyed.

Offline Platypus

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 07:27:20 pm »
I saved an entire race of Space Piggies through the proceeds of Slavery and Murder.

Offline Azurian

• Space is a beautiful place
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 08:00:19 pm »
Do any of the races practice clone-ing?  If they do, selling slaves would be an insignificance to them.
PLEASE REPORT FEEDBACK TO MANTIS IF YOU WANT THEM TO SEE IT!
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/view_all_bug_page.php

Offline casualsax

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 08:49:23 pm »
Do any of the races practice clone-ing?  If they do, selling slaves would be an insignificance to them.

The Thoraxians are all a hive mind, so they might not care as much.  Then again, I don't know that a slave Thoraxian would do any work at all.

Offline Histidine

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 12:25:10 am »
You don't lose any influence with the Thoraxians from selling slaves, on account of the hive mind thing (you don't lose it with the Acutians either). You can't sell Thoraxians as slaves (part of hive mind, refuses to obey) or Peltians (no-one wants to buy them, because they're Weak, Like Animals).

Offline NickAragua

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 12:57:01 am »
The other day, the only space faring races were (I kid you not) the Thoraxians, Peltians and the Burlust. The Acutians were my 'whipping boy' race, I started out with blowing up their flagships in the first mission and things got worse from there. I would routinely augment my available funds by selling Acutian pilots to the black market slavers (they're robots so who cares, right?) Not only did I get a butt load of credits, but my influence with the three spacefaring races skyrocketed.

So, sometimes it's a win win, sometimes it's a win-lose. I would say 'never' is inaccurate.

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Y PzKpfw Tiger!
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 04:20:32 am »
I think the whole losing-influence-for-crimes affair needs to be redone a bit. Everyone always knows what you're doing...which just feels wrong. Things like conspiracies, slavery, assassinations, sabotage, theft and so on shouldn't cause an immediate drop in influence, but ought to be tracked without direct effect until national or AFA investigators find out about it. Then you could try to cover your tracks, silence them, find someone else to blame...etc.
The beatings shall continue
until morale improves!

Offline Azurian

• Space is a beautiful place
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 04:34:43 am »
What boggles my mind is how do they know you are selling slaves if it the black market?
PLEASE REPORT FEEDBACK TO MANTIS IF YOU WANT THEM TO SEE IT!
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/view_all_bug_page.php

Offline Rujasu

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 04:36:37 am »
Rumours spread fast, especially if the subject of them happens to be the only four-headed monster in the solar system.

Offline Warpstorm

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 08:12:44 am »
I made enough credit from it to run my operations for nearly a decade.  Sure a few races objected but they were ones where I either had extreme goodwill or planned on destroying soon anyways.  I was thinking it was OP.

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Y PzKpfw Tiger!
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 08:36:32 am »
Rumours spread fast, especially if the subject of them happens to be the only four-headed monster in the solar system.
Well, you *could* use proxies for your black market dealings. And all other deals too, come to think of it.
The beatings shall continue
until morale improves!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk