Author Topic: New version .806 now out! (super duper combat updates!)  (Read 12561 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
New version .806 now out! (super duper combat updates!)
« on: March 16, 2014, 06:24:24 pm »
Here's the details: http://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=The_Last_Federation_Alpha_Release_Notes#Alpha_Version_.806

The short version is:

1. You now have 3 main guns, and can switch between them, rather than only having one.
2. You now have 3 special abilities beyond that, rather than 5 (no room).
3. You really do need to switch weapons depending on the targets you are after, or even if their shields are up at the moment or whatever, because the right tool for the job suddenly makes a big difference.
4. Balance is revamped pretty well everywhere.
5. Three or four new guns, don't recall which.
6. Flagships no longer start out in the boonies.
7. The extreeeeeme imbalance with Bargaining Power is addressed.

All in all, this feels a lot more engaging to me.  Having to think about which weapon I am using when is fun to me, and the weapons are all satisfying now.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
Re: New version .806 now out! (super duper combat updates!)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 06:28:12 pm »
Also, there are 9 new alpha players being added for this one.  If your name is on this list, you should have a PM from me in the next few minutes:
zharmad
bytestream
alocritani
biffbaxter
Breach
Cipherpunk
Millboar
Creator
doctorfrog

Thanks!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Castruccio

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 06:42:54 pm »
No update yet.  Perhaps the works are gummed up for the moment.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 06:53:15 pm »
There are about six buttons I have to push, and I forgot to push the last one because I got distracted writing this post.  Derp!  Thanks for the reminder, it's out now. :)

Offline Castruccio

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 06:55:12 pm »
Ha!  Thanks.  Been waiting all weekend in anticipation and watching the patch notes grow!  I'm a college professor and it's spring break here, so I finally have some time to get into the game.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 06:55:37 pm »
Awesome!  What do you teach? :)

Offline Castruccio

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 07:02:13 pm »
Political Philosophy (Aristotle, Machiavelli, Plato, Locke, Hobbes, Nietzsche, Hegel, Rousseau, Kant, Marx, Mill, etc.) if any of those ring a bell.  Basically classics and "great books" in political thought.

Offline Breach

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 07:21:40 pm »
Great news, thank you! I'll be honest I've been keeping myself relatively in the dark so far regarding changes - I only know that the combat system has been overhauled recently towards a more direct control system.  I hope my fresh-ish perspective will be of some use!

Offline doctorfrog

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 07:23:26 pm »
Looks like I'm in. I'm going to be sinking my baby teeth into this later tonight!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 07:37:40 pm »
Political Philosophy (Aristotle, Machiavelli, Plato, Locke, Hobbes, Nietzsche, Hegel, Rousseau, Kant, Marx, Mill, etc.) if any of those ring a bell.  Basically classics and "great books" in political thought.

Nice!  Definitely all ring a bell, haha.

Great news, thank you! I'll be honest I've been keeping myself relatively in the dark so far regarding changes - I only know that the combat system has been overhauled recently towards a more direct control system.  I hope my fresh-ish perspective will be of some use!

It definitely will!

Looks like I'm in. I'm going to be sinking my baby teeth into this later tonight!

Awesome. :)

Offline Castruccio

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 08:59:12 pm »
First impressions of the new combat are that it is MUCH better than .805.  Light years better.  Definitely on the right track here, just need to add a bit more complexity, etc.

How is everyone finding the default combat speed?  I can hardly tolerate anything below 1.2.  Would folks be up for raising the default just a tick or two?  I don't want new buyers to get turned off too quickly if they don't realize that the combat speed can be changed (I realize it says it can in one of the tutorials, but lots of people click through that stuff). 

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 09:06:18 pm »
That is the sort of news I like. :)

Offline Castruccio

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 09:10:59 pm »
I find myself playing it as I would play AI war.  Lots of pauses.  I assume that's intended.  In other words, it's not crazy action like Diablo but I assume people could (and will) play it  that way without pausing (and with the speed turned way up).

Offline Professor Paul1290

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 12:24:24 am »
There might need to be another increase in amount we're allowed to zoom-out to fit the range of some of the new primary weapons. The longer ranged ones can have their effective range cut off at some resolutions especially towards the bottom (I got this problem on my 1280x800 laptop).

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 01:42:01 am »
Ok, a couple of things here.....

Firstly, I discovered something about the flagships in general here.... up to this point I'd been only using the Thoraxian ship, since it's the one I randomly started with.  Thusly, I'd been basing all of my opinions about the mechanics as approached by that one ship.

When I tried out some of the others..... ugh.  Honestly, I cant tolerate it.  They're all just WAY TOO SLOW.  Frankly I'd thought the Thoraxians werent very fast, but it turns out they ARE the fast ones.  The others are so slow as to be painful.  ALL of them.  If even the Thoraxians were that slow, I'd be going for the "skip all battles" thing as soon as that was implemented.  I dont tolerate "slow" very well, really.

Even with the game speed multiplied (above 2), they still move like a brick in sludge.  It's also utterly impossible to avoid things when moving like said brick, which is absolutely necessary on the higher difficulties, particularly as enemy range increases.... you cant just tank everything there (and you cant defend as much now with less abilities available VS weapons).  But they cant avoid pretty much anything.  And dealing with situations where there's nothing in your immediate area and you need to move accross the battlefield to get to other targets is torture.   Yeah, I know about the speed-up buttons, but honestly, if I have to use those just to put up with the fighting at all, there's something wrong.  Ideally I shouldnt need those at all.

So that right now is the big one for me.  Others are likely to disagree, but.... there it is.   

The Thoraxian ship is what's keeping me invested in the combat.... without it, I'd not be wanting to do it.   I'll be sticking with only that one for now.

Secondly, the weapons.  An option to use the mouse wheel to switch between them would be wonderful here.  Trying to do it with the number keys, considering the high frequency of switching, just gives me hand cramps.  Granted part of it is that my arm is acting up a bit, but still, it'd be a very nice control option to have.

The new weapon mechanics overall are pretty neat, I like these.

Third, and this is another big one:  There's nowhere to get BP.

I think probably 99% of all of the BP I'd used in my previous game (restarted now because of changes) all game from ship destruction..... but they hardly give you any now, and of course to get it that way a mission of that type needs to A: exist, and B: have alot of ships in it.  I actually dont think I can test any further with this build, because there appears to be literally nothing to do.  The only friendly missions that ever appear are the pirate ones (which of course only happens if there ARE pirates at the time), and those dont give BP.  And were I stuck with one of the slow flagships, nearly all of it would have to be pumped into repairs as it is anyway, due to them being forced to tank most attacks (again, not playing on Normal here).  You can get free repairs from some missions, but when you're dealing with other things (particularly assassination attempts) is when that bit could be an issue.

I'll mess with it a bit more, but I'm pretty sure I cannot go any further at this point.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk