Author Topic: New version .805 now out!  (Read 3905 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
New version .805 now out!
« on: March 14, 2014, 04:33:05 pm »
http://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=The_Last_Federation_Alpha_Release_Notes#Alpha_Version_.805

Restart steam to force a redownload if you like.

Not as much this time around, but some good stuff -- and we're still working behind the scenes on some things that didn't make it into the release notes this time, as they aren't done yet.  It's time for another video, which is why I jumped the sound effects work up in the queue.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Castruccio

Re: New version .805 now out!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 04:46:04 pm »
I'll be interested to hear other opinions of the shooting sound of the main gun in combat.  To me it sounds like repetitive static, but it's not irritating at all.  I had maybe expected it to sound a bit more "spacey" (like phaser or laser sounds) but perhaps that would get irritating over time.  Let's hear some of the other testers opinions.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 04:47:16 pm »
It's a really tough thing with main gun sound effects, because they have to basically not be too "sharp" at all, or else they wind up really becoming grating.  Lasers in general are really tricky because of that.  The Star Wars "splat" sound for lasers works pretty darn well because it is so soft, for instance.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Castruccio

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 04:57:03 pm »
Well now when I exit combat my ship won't move on the map screen.  Save game attached on mantis to see if it does the same thing for you.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 05:02:38 pm »
I think you missed the attachment.  Are you sure you're not paused, though?  I've done that a couple of times; something will have to be done about making that clearer, I think.

Offline Castruccio

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 05:04:22 pm »
Good call.  It was totally on pause and I had no idea.  Maybe the screen should dim slightly when paused or there should be some other notification.

Sorry about the missing attachment.  It's been that kind of day.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 05:06:03 pm »
Not a worry at all.  It does glow the pause button on the side there, but that's about it.  I am wary of dimming the screen, because the idea of pause is to be able to see things well.  I'm kind of thinking maybe if you issue a movement command, it automatically unpauses.

Offline Castruccio

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 05:08:44 pm »
Good call.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 05:09:50 pm »
I've added it to my list for this weekend.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 10:21:18 am »
So far so good in an overall sense.  I'm learning more about the solar map things, but some things remain extremely unclear.

Probably the biggest problem with the solar map stuff is that 95% of the time, the "friendly actions" options are JUST "stop pirates" and such.  There's pretty much never any others, so you only really have hostile actions, and whatever political stuff is available to you.... can definitely make things tough when you're trying to help out as opposed to attack someone.

Also the Burlusts could do with more, well, STUFF in their political menus.... that one I went into detail on mantis.

And the combat, while good, is an explosion of balance issues.... alot to work out here.   Allies rarely accomplish anything, enemies manage to wreck allies but then are amazingly stupid about attacking the player (often leading to the easily crushed "clump of failure"), enemy ships should probably have longer attack ranges overall (more stuff to dodge!), abilities are too weak, though a couple are too powerful (afterburner, cloak).  Player weapons also are mostly underwhelming.... I've mentioned the minigun before, which I still dont like much, but then I got the mass driver, and....  ahhh, I only used it once, wont do THAT again.  It'd take forever to do much with that thing.

As a whole though the fights remain entertaining though some of them take a bit too long, mostly due to the underpowered weapons/abilities.  Current playthrough being done in Hard mode, I've yet to come anywhere near dying, though that doesnt really say too much.  I'll up it to the next one with the next playthrough.

Combat system overall is fun though.

There's also a good number of exploits that can be easily done on the solar map, but I'll go into that in detail later.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk