Author Topic: Marketing and awareness thread  (Read 10613 times)

Offline cupogoodness

• Arcen Games business development/Jack of all trades
  • Arcen Staff
Marketing and awareness thread
« on: April 10, 2014, 05:34:34 pm »
Hey folks,

I wanted to provide a general outline of the marketing plan we've put/are putting together for TLF. Forum members (such as Pepisolo) have reached out to offer helpful advice/assistance on these fronts in the past, so I wanted to give anyone interested an idea of what we're doing in our attempt to get the word out about the game.

Links To Important Items

TLF Website -- http://www.arcengames.com/w/index.php/tlf-features
TLF Forums -- http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/board,107.0.html
TLF Steam Community Hub -- http://steamcommunity.com/app/273070
TLF Steam Page - http://store.steampowered.com/app/273070/
TLF GOG Page -- http://www.gog.com/game/last_federation_the
TLF OST -- http://arcenmusic.bandcamp.com/album/the-last-federation

Any critical links we're missing? How do the pages themselves look? Anything missing or off?

Outreach

- Video Game Websites: We've seen some decent coverage on PC Gamer, VG247, and multiple posts on RPS. Space Game Junkie and Gaming on Linux have also been very supportive from the start. Beyond that, most are waiting until the game has relevant news around it or a build to play (if they're aware/interested in the first place).

That push will start taking place tonight and into next week, as we inform press of the April 18th launch date and other relevant info/assets. We have a lot of established contacts here, and plenty of new individuals to reach out to as well -- but any non-obvious suggestions would be appreciated. Basically, we're looking for reviewers/journalists who are into strategy, tactics, space, simulation games (as well as anyone who seems to give indies or longer-form games such as ours the time of day).

Some sites that accept general news tips (we also have direct contacts for most, but that doesn't really guarantee us anything):
Shacknews
Joystiq
Polygon
The Verge
Kotaku
GameZone
Slashdot
4ColorRebellion
GameInformer
ActionTrip
IGN

- Youtube/Twitch Chanel Owners: We have a pretty solid list of emails/direct lines to these folks -- including the individuals that have been pointed out on these forums in the past, such as this thread: http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13908.0.html . So please only suggest video channel owners that you're sure haven't been mentioned before (rest assured, I have them written down). We'll be reaching out to these guys as well at the end of the week, though we may not be able to provide the build until early next week (the absolute latest we can afford to get it out there, I know).

- Reddit: It's called the front page of the internet for a reason, and I'm hoping it'll be a big asset for us come launch. We've done pretty much all we can for now on this front (without entering spam country). Most of the relevant small and medium size subreddits have featured a post about the game. I'd like to get word up on launch day on the bigger subreddits like /r/games and perhaps even the gigantic mess that is /r/gaming, but a direct post from Arcen is out of the question. For reference, here's the big list of gaming subreddits out there (as I mentioned, we already posted on the applicable genres): http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/wiki/faq . Certain subreddits like Gametales and Stories of War are obviously for player posts only, so we didn't touch those either (despite TLF and several of our past releases being applicable).

- Mailing List: We recently set-up a mailing list for fans interested in being notified when the game is available for purchase. It has several dozen sign-ups, so now I'm regretting not getting that set-up earlier in the year.

- Social Media Channels: Along with Reddit, this is our other big asset in terms of word of mouth. We've built up followings ranging from a handful to more than a hundred members on various networks -- including a TLF Facebook page and Twitter account (where we utilize our general @ArcenGames account/Arcen Games page as well), subreddit, and IndieDB page (to go along with our general Tumblr and Google+ pages).

- Arcen Games News Blog and Games by Design blog: We'll also continue to feature various posts on our blogs through release.

- Contests/Festivals: TLF doesn't really lend itself to a showfloor demo, show we didn't submit it to IndieCade or Fantastic Arcade (though we did submit Bionic Dues). There is one smaller contest I'm considering, but that's about it. If anyone has leads on a good event we ought to enter the game in, let me know.

- Paid Advertising: From what I hear, it tends to work better when you set aside a five-figure minimum budget -- which we don't have. So it's likely nothing in this department, though I'm considering throwing $20 at boosting our Facebook posts.

Other Questions/Thoughts

- Are there other space game and/or strategy game communities out there worth getting the attention of?

- Are there any non-traditional sources/forms of media we should consider pursuing?

- Anyone into making GIFs? Those seem to be really popular among gaming websites and forums these days.

- Any music or audio outlets we can reach out to with Pablo's soundtrack? It'd help awareness for both his music and the game.

While we're definitely entering the eleventh hour here, I'd still appreciate feedback anyone has on these items (are we missing something? Should something be tweaked? Etc.), and other suggestions on how to better our chances of achieving the kind of launch we're pulling for.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 06:07:06 am by cupogoodness »

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
Re: Marketing and awareness thread
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 03:33:04 pm »
This blurb...

Greetings, Hydral. I will be your computer for this "grand strategy campaign with turn-based tactical combat." I think that's code for "we're going to die."

Our solar system is vast and complicated, and I sense you are a little dimwitted -- so I tell you what, let's start with the simple stuff. Like escaping with this flagship you just hijacked from a bunch of angry robots. That seems important. I also think we can ingratiate ourselves to other races by bringing them the spacefaring technology they are struggling to develop. Then we'll see from there.

Please excuse my impertinence, but I believe you are the last of a murdered race, yes? My records note you Hydrals were the dictators of the solar system, so basically you had it coming. And by "it," I mean the moon that smacked into your homeworld. Hmm. So people really aren't going to like you until they get to know you. Well, your one advantage is only you can use the scattered remnants of advanced Hydral technology. Now all you need is a cape and cowl, and you're a superhero. Still, they outnumber us tens of trillions to one.

Look, I'm not going to tell you what to do. My understanding is that you're trying to form the solar system's first-and-last unified federation, and that's a noble enough cause. But right now nobody wants that except you, and you've got 8 very diverse, very angry races to either unify or exterminate. So... good luck with that. I'll help how I can.

...Doesn't really do it for me. It's fairly amusing, but too long-winded, I think. Something with a bit more brevity and punch would be nice. I'm more likely to click away than be enticed into purchasing the game.

Potential rewrite. The word count is trimmed a bit.

Greetings, Hydral. I will be your computer for this "grand strategy campaign with turn-based tactical combat."

Our solar system is vast and complicated, and I sense you are a little dimwitted -- so let's start with the basics. Like escaping with this flagship you just hijacked from a bunch of angry robots. That seems important.

Please excuse my impertinence, but I believe you are the last of a murdered race, yes? My records note you Hydrals were once the dictators of the solar system... so basically you had it coming. And by "it," I mean the moon that smacked into your homeworld. Hmm. The others really aren't going to like you a lot are they? May I suggest you try to ingratiate yourself with them by means of gifts or perhaps bribery? 

Look, I'm not going to tell you what to do. My understanding is that you're trying to form the solar system's first-and-last unified federation. How noble. But right now you've got 8 very diverse, very disagreeable races to unify... or exterminate. Good luck with that. I'll help, of course. However I can.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 04:38:24 pm »
Regarding Reddit r/games or r/gaming. I think maybe if there is someone on our forum that actually frequents those boards then it would be perfectly fine for them to post about TLF's release on that date. I don't think it's spammy if you are already subbed there.

Offline cupogoodness

• Arcen Games business development/Jack of all trades
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 04:41:20 pm »
We may take a look at the description. Note that we just added a concise tl:dr-style synopsis at the top of TLF's page and on the Steam store page as well. Maybe that does the trick?

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 04:51:37 pm »
We may take a look at the description. Note that we just added a concise tl:dr-style synopsis at the top of TLF's page and on the Steam store page as well. Maybe that does the trick?

The synopis definitely helps, yeah. I still think the about the game text could be shorter and snappier, though.

Any volunteers to post on r/gaming or r/games, guys? I don't frequent those boards -- only got into Reddit a few months ago -- so I don't really feel like I'd be first choice to do it. If there are any subs to those boards on the forum, a big ups on release day would help a lot I think.

Offline Chthon

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 07:06:25 am »
I just want to point out that until 2 days ago, I only knew that there was a game called The Last Federation by you guys, but I had no clue what kind of game it was.

Now that I can see it's steam page, I'm excited.  If it's half as good as it looks I will be streaming a lot of it.

If you want to come by and say hi, great.  I'm a non-profit streamer on twitch, and I stream because I enjoy interacting with others while I play.  Even if I do end up with a partnership, I think the majority of the proceeds would go to purchasing good games like this for those who can't afford them.  I have streamed much AI War, and a little Bionic Dues in the past.

On twitch I am known as the ChthonicOne.  I usually stream evenings, though if I can't sleep, I may stream early morning as well.  My zone is EST, though Florida may be passing a law here making DST a year round thing, so that may get weird.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 09:33:30 am »
I've cut down the text a bit:

Greetings, Hydral.  I will be your computer for this "grand strategy campaign with turn-based tactical combat."  I think that's code for "we're going to die."

Our solar system is vast and complicated, and I sense you are a little dimwitted -- so I tell you what, let's start with the simple stuff.  Like escaping with this flagship you just hijacked from a bunch of angry robots.  That seems important.

Please excuse my impertinence, but I believe you are the last of a murdered race, yes?  My records note you Hydrals were the dictators of the solar system, so basically you had it coming.  And by "it," I mean the moon that smacked into your homeworld.  Hmm.  So people really aren't going to like you until they get to know you.  Well, only you can use the scattered remnants of advanced Hydral technology, so that's something.

Look, I'm not going to tell you what to do.  My understanding is that you're trying to form the solar system's first-and-last unified federation, and that's noble enough.  But right now nobody wants that except you, and you've got 8 very diverse, very angry races to either unify or exterminate.  So... good luck with that.  I'll help how I can.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Chthon

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 09:39:27 am »

Greetings, Hydral.  I will be your computer for this "grand strategy campaign with turn-based tactical combat."  I think that's code for "we're going to die."

Our solar system is vast and complicated, and I sense you are a little dimwitted -- so I tell you what, let's start with the simple stuff.  Like escaping with this flagship you just hijacked from a bunch of angry robots.  That seems important.

Please excuse my impertinence, but I believe you are the last of a murdered race, yes?  My records note you Hydrals were the dictators of the solar system, so basically you had it coming.  And by "it," I mean the moon that smacked into your homeworld.  Hmm.  So people really aren't going to like you until they get to know you.  Well, only you can use the scattered remnants of advanced Hydral technology, so that's something.

Look, I'm not going to tell you what to do.  My understanding is that you're trying to form the solar system's first-and-last unified federation, and that's noble enough.  But right now nobody wants that except you, and you've got 8 very diverse, very angry races to either unify or exterminate.  So... good luck with that.  I'll help how I can.

That is what the store page said when I saw it.  Very cool description.  The fact that it also looks like a MoO-like is a plus.  There hasn't been a good one of those since SotS I.

I am looking forward to playing it on the 18th.  Please don't disappoint me like some of my other favorite developers recently.  Everything I hear about it is good though.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 10:00:04 am »
I've cut down the text a bit:...

Seems a bit better to me.

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 03:30:57 pm »
I've cut down the text a bit:...

Seems a bit better to me.
I did not complain in person earlier, but I have to second this :).
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline Professor Paul1290

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 12:52:12 pm »
Is the $20 mentioned in the blog post the final price?

I ask that because that seems like it would be pushing it somewhat compared to other recent releases on Steam. A lot of recent games at the $20 mark seem to have much higher budgets for visuals and in general are the sort that would really sell via store-page.

I think I only see 2 other games among the recent releases at $20 that are also 2D (Half Minute Hero 2 and Mercenary Kings), and the one of them is a sequel with an existing fanbase and the other seems to have a significant media coverage advantage for whatever reason.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 12:55:56 pm by Professor Paul1290 »

Offline MrSchism

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 12:59:14 pm »
Gifs are easy enough to make if your given content (text/images) to use.

I'd be willing to make a couple or show someone how.

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 12:59:42 pm »

There' a small typo in there (marked bold above) isn't it?
The comma in "it," seems superfluous to me...
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline MrSchism

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 01:21:21 pm »
Comma looks right to me.

Offline Chthon

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 04:05:46 pm »

There' a small typo in there (marked bold above) isn't it?
The comma in "it," seems superfluous to me...
The comma in the quotes actually applies to the greater statement, 'And by "it," I mean the moon that smacked into your homeworld.'

It is correct practice to place it within quotes at the end, even though it does not apply directly to the word used in quotes.  Otherwise it looks like, 'And by "it", I mean the moon that smacked into your homeworld.' which is awkward in appearance.

The comma is used to separate a prepositional phrase from the rest of the sentence it references.  It is arguable that he started the sentence with a conjunction, but the truth is there is actually no rule to that effect so long as it is not a fragment on the whole.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk