Author Topic: Custom Ship Art Pack - What Do I Need To Know?  (Read 14241 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Custom Ship Art Pack - What Do I Need To Know?
« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2014, 09:59:39 am »
He and I got that part worked out, actually, through PM.  Blue I-KP, meet Blue, our artist on staff, Blue, I-KP. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Blue

• Arcen Games Art Director
  • Newbie Mark III
« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2014, 10:15:25 am »
He and I got that part worked out, actually, through PM.  Blue I-KP, meet Blue, our artist on staff, Blue, I-KP. :)

Oh good!

Sorry I missed it, not a big forum reader. And hi!

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2014, 01:51:42 pm »
So why didn't they work? Inquiring minds want to know
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2014, 09:00:40 pm »
So why didn't they work? Inquiring minds want to know

I'll just post what I sent I-KP:

I've done the vast majority of the sprite pakc but I ran into a problem.  I pasted the (below linked) sprite pack over the original files -- I couldn't get the custom graphics directory thing to work, I replicated the stated path but it didn't replace anything -- and everything looked grand until enemy ships started launching Cutters, Monitors, Interceptors and the like; it was showing the xmode.pngs for these launched ships but not the actual sprite, also it was showing one sprite that I replaced and wasn't present in the topdown directory so I've no idea where that was coming from (Lancer I think it was).

Any idea what's going on?

Sprite pack (v0.9): (redacted)

Hey there, sorry for the slow response.  My sister's wedding was Saturday, and it's been throwing me all off.

I've taken a look at the .rar you sent, and in general that is looking great!  The issue you are seeing with the ships in motion (cutters, etc) is that your Cutter_Dict.png doesn't have the actual ship drawn in it.  For the flagships, because of the nature of them having damage masks (and this goes for most other things with damage masks, they have a separate thing where they draw their static base and THEN the animated overlay.  But for other ships that have no damage overlay, it saves draw calls (vital on older machines) to just switch which image is being drawn -- static image when not moving, and then the one dictionary image with the whole animation in there when moving.

The WhateverLit.png files are not used by the game, by the way.  As are not the WhateverII.png versions of files.  Although I certainly could make use of them since you made them.

I'd also note that the damage masks for the ships that have them really should be updated in some fashion or else it's going to look really wrong because the damage will appear outside of the actual area of where the ship draws.

Other than that, that's all I see!  Not sure about the Lancer as to why that would not be showing right.  My guess is that it was a different ship, probably the Pirate Raven or something, as I see that is not replaced.

For the graphics mods not working, I'm not sure why that would be.  I haven't tested that since Valley 2 (!), but it's a standardized feature of our engine.  I'd have to look into it.

Thanks again for your enthusiasm and all your work on this!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline I-KP

• Caveat Pactor
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2014, 08:10:39 am »
Many thanks for your response.  Chris explained what the problems were so it's all in hand now.
Atmospheric & Lithospheric Reticulator,
Post-accretion Protoplanet Aesthetic Seeding Team,
Celestial Body Design & Procurement Division,
Magrathea Pan-Galactic Planets Corp.,
Magrathea.

Offline I-KP

• Caveat Pactor
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2014, 07:27:04 am »
Done!  (Pending approval from the Big Giant Head.)

And a very big hello to Blue.  (For some reason I missed all of the responses on this page of the thread; not sure what happened there!)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 07:30:13 am by I-KP »
Magrathea.

Offline MaskityMask

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2014, 12:45:12 pm »
Yay, can't wait to see them :)

Now I feel like seeing comparison pics between old and new ones for some reason... Huh

Offline I-KP

• Caveat Pactor
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2014, 09:32:49 am »
Here's the current sprite pack: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2699178/final.rar

All of the included assets overwrite the existing files in the following location: ..\steam\SteamApps\common\The Last Federation\RuntimeData\Images\Ships\Topdown
(There is a ..\texturepacks dir in which stuff like this is meant to be placed in order to avoid overwriting files but I've not had much luck in getting it to work - YMMV.)

The sprite pack replaces all ship and shield assets.  (At the time of creation turrets and bases were not included within the scope of this pack.)
Magrathea.

Offline Poulpe

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2014, 03:20:36 am »
Wow, the new ships where just added to the games and they looks awesome !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk