Author Topic: Combat?  (Read 6024 times)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Combat?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2013, 12:04:59 pm »
Both are pauseable realtime.  In the solar map case things happen fairly slowly so it's not like you'll miss much (though there is a speed-up control).  In combat things are pretty fast  but it's definitely not an actions-per-second sort of thing.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2013, 09:50:52 am »
Sorry for the slow responses, it's been crazy!

So it's more blockade running than smuggling?

Yep@

This combat:  Real-time, or turn-based?
yes, with the map being turn based...wait, was it the opposite...i think it was...

As Keith noted, both are pauseable realtime, but also with a fast forward button in both cases.  That way the default pace can be reasonable enough that you can not be rushed, but you are also never just sitting around waiting and bored.  I hate that just as much as being rushed.  It makes it so that you can quickly adjust the speed of what is going on just by holding F for fast-forward or tapping spacebar to pause/unpause, and thus have as much or as little time to think as you want/need.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 03:19:40 am »
Perhaps this was simply my misconception, but I could have sworn that it was mentioned somewhere the game will be on an AI War-level scale. In other words, thousands of ships for any given race.

If ship combat is truly 1v1, wouldn't this be problematic and/or take forever? Or is the combat resolved relatively quickly?
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2013, 05:07:16 am »
Perhaps this was simply my misconception, but I could have sworn that it was mentioned somewhere the game will be on an AI War-level scale. In other words, thousands of ships for any given race.

If ship combat is truly 1v1, wouldn't this be problematic and/or take forever? Or is the combat resolved relatively quickly?

It's truly 1v1, and, it is resolved quick.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2013, 07:40:20 am »
Also, there are not remotely as many ships as in ai war. These are much larger, beefier ships. There are maybe hundreds moving around the whole solar system, not tens of thousands. But we are simulating populations of tens of billions of citizens (by the million).
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2013, 11:51:47 pm »

It's truly 1v1, and, it is resolved quick.

I'm curious, how does this affect the overall threat level of things like enemy fleets?

The concept immediately makes me think of alot of JRPGs these days:   You fight TONS of monsters in each dungeon, but never very many at all in a single battle;  each individual encounter is typically so weak as to not be a threat (and all them other monsters roaming the dungeon cant join in to help the ones you're fighting), and in the end, 200+ monsters end up dealing no true damage whatsoever.

It seems like something like a fleet of ships should be dangerous because it would end up having enemy fire coming from lots and lots of places all at once, making it hard to defend against.  So this 1v1 bit is kinda baffling to me.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2013, 07:40:01 am »
You aren't carving through an entire enemy fleet, ever. Think of the Star Wars movies (original trilogy). There is never a point where Luke starts snuffing out dozens of tie fighters with his one x wing. He's lucky if he can get a couple without getting too damaged to continue. It's kind of like that here.

It's really not a JRPG at all, it's more of a tactical subgame in the main game. Like the battles in total war. You can also auto-resolve said battles, as in total war, if you want to just get an average result and keep playing the grand strategy game.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 11:16:47 am by tigersfan »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk