Author Topic: Anyone else want to bring back timed dispatch?  (Read 3415 times)

Offline wooaa

Anyone else want to bring back timed dispatch?
« on: July 06, 2014, 09:14:13 pm »
For me being able to set the amount of time on a dispatch mission is critical. I realy liked being able to fine tune that sort of thing, i could know exactly how much something would change. Since it was removed the game has not been as much fun. anyone else of the same opinion?

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
Re: Anyone else want to bring back timed dispatch?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 10:06:28 pm »
I'm not entirely sure I prefer that method, though I can understand wanting to control the missions.  Do you think an option in the start game menu would be a good thing?

Offline wooaa

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 10:54:42 pm »
that would be cool. that way people that like it can have it, and those that find it cumbersome can throw it out the airlock.

Offline MaskityMask

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 01:43:37 am »
Nah, the timed dispatchs were kinda frustrating if you ask me

Offline Poulpe

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 03:35:10 am »
The timed dispatch is frustating because you may have to cancel it anyway.
There are many things that can not be predicted and not taking action toward them in a quick time may be troublesome.

So you have to set an amount of time to your dispatch knowing that you'll may have to cancel it halfway.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 03:37:08 am by Poulpe »

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 05:18:18 am »
A clear "No" for me - mainly for the reason Poulpe outlined above.
I have no gripes with making this an option, though...

EDIT: With regard (and limited to) the new "Expense" dispatches this actually could come in handy, now that I think of it, though...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 05:00:36 pm by nas1m »
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 03:02:26 pm »
I'm not sure what the desire really boils down to.

1. For things that take a set amount of time to complete, those are still "timed."

2. For things that are just "do X for a set amount of time" (like mining moons), there was no bonus to doing it to completion or whatever.  The system is exactly the same as it was before, except that it doesn't make you pre-select a timeframe and it doesn't auto-end after that timeframe.  That's literally the only difference.  It doesn't ask you a question that you don't really know the answer to at the start (something important might interrupt you), and if you want a really long dispatch it doesn't make you do it in segments anymore.  I'm not sure how this is anything but a win, honestly.  You just go as long as you want, then end.

What am I missing?
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 03:38:38 pm »
I think he misses the possibility to go for an exact adjustment in terms of a given RCI etc., which I would be inclined to dismiss or at east limit to an option to make the old combo box to set duration available again, if it were me to make the call.

For the new expense dispatch being able to set a duration/amount of credit to spend might be a different matter. But even here the possibility to majorly "overshoot" what you were willing to spend on the dispatch due to the time it takes to hit "cancel dispatch" after you recognized the fact you want to stop should be negligible...
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline MaskityMask

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 04:05:25 pm »
Dunno how you can really overshoot unless you want to do something else while game is running :P The double speed option is fast enough that you can't do anything else, but you can easy stop it exactly.

Really, I think this is rather pointless request and I don't really see need to add option to bring back old system... Just get used to the new one.

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 07:07:42 pm »
A better development would be to insert more optional auto-pauses on the events that you might want to intervene in:
- troops being landed on a planet.
- significant events, such as disease resurgences.
- etc.
- (perhaps, when your credits drop below X).

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 09:16:52 pm »
edited :   

i think that wooaa's request is fine the way it is.

Perhaps we don't understand how it all works, but there is still something there that wooaa feels that the old box where the choice of a particular time is selected brings something back into the game that they miss.

So, the question becomes, can we do this as an option? and if Chris thinks he can do it.

:)

-T

« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 09:29:01 pm by Teal_Blue »

Offline Histidine

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 09:45:58 pm »
Well, I wasn't playing it much by then, but if you plan ahead of time to not spend any longer than X months on this particular project, it would be nice to stop it then.

(Include this in any planned auto-pause-on-event function?)

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 07:23:57 am »
Isn't there a pause system in the game already?

Offline topper

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 09:59:55 am »
Isn't there a pause system in the game already?

Pause, yes... customizable auto-pause, no.

I agree that this could be a great feature, but it is probably pretty time intensive to add a Paradox like pause/notification system.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 08:37:15 am »
I'm not sure what the desire really boils down to.

1. For things that take a set amount of time to complete, those are still "timed."

2. For things that are just "do X for a set amount of time" (like mining moons), there was no bonus to doing it to completion or whatever.  The system is exactly the same as it was before, except that it doesn't make you pre-select a timeframe and it doesn't auto-end after that timeframe.  That's literally the only difference.  It doesn't ask you a question that you don't really know the answer to at the start (something important might interrupt you), and if you want a really long dispatch it doesn't make you do it in segments anymore.  I'm not sure how this is anything but a win, honestly.  You just go as long as you want, then end.

What am I missing?

It's the confusion aspect.

I cannot tell how much something or other will be gained/lost if I do a dispatch for, say, 12 months.  Often, I have a certain amount in mind, or I may simply want to do it for a bit yet have it be a useful amount as opposed to a paltry amount, and the only way to find out which is going to happen is trial and error.  As I'm basically incapable of math of any sort, I end up saving before I do these, and reloading frequently, as I have to guess.  Very, very confusing.  Very irritating.

Wheras the set-time dispatches related to science and construction are all nice and easy to deal with.

I think I already said all of this up in the patch topic, but whatever.

It's not a thing that actually breaks anything, it's just really annoying.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk