Author Topic: Steam page is up! (If you have something to say after playing, PLEASE review!)  (Read 49377 times)

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
Yep, I've been under paid contract this whole time, so that's why I brought that up.

Yea, then no, wouldn't. There's a major conflict of interest in doing a public review while being/had been a paid employee of the game/media you worked on. Doing a Steam review that's restricted to friends though would probably be fine.
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
Yep, I've been under paid contract this whole time, so that's why I brought that up.

Yea, then no, wouldn't. There's a major conflict of interest in doing a public review while being/had been a paid employee of the game/media you worked on. Doing a Steam review that's restricted to friends though would probably be fine.

I really am slightly annoyed at this new trend. With disclosure, I don't see a big problem at all. Look at movie actors, they get paid to make the movies, and then they get paid to promote the movie, even if it is rubbish. I don't see anyone burning down their houses.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member

I really am slightly annoyed at this new trend. With disclosure, I don't see a big problem at all. Look at movie actors, they get paid to make the movies, and then they get paid to promote the movie, even if it is rubbish. I don't see anyone burning down their houses.

Promoting a movie does not equal reviewing a videogame/media. They are spreading word of mouth about a film. Reviewers are giving their more-or-less unbiased opinion about whether a game is worth getting.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 10:07:23 pm by KingIsaacLinksr »
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.

Promoting a movie does not equal reviewing a videogame/media. They are spreading word of mouth about a film.
that's true if your watching a promotion you know its dishonest and is trying to sell things to you reviews are meant to help people make decisions and its not like its particular difficult to do there isn't a single reason not to disclaime these things.
c.r

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
I looked through the achievements just now, cool to see those up, mostly what I expected.  Be interesting to see how many accomplish each one.

"Perfect Clear: Terminus",  that one is going to give even me trouble.  %(#&-ing Palisade.  It's like the Obscura Disc from TLF:  I made it, it thanks me by thwarting me and driving me nuts.

Also going to be interesting to see how many people beat the game with the Redshift.   I still need to try a run with it myself.  I've only barely touched it. 

Actually I feel like I"ve only barely touched half the freaking game.  I dont even want to know how much time I've spent in the testing chamber.

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member

Promoting a movie does not equal reviewing a videogame/media. They are spreading word of mouth about a film.
that's true if your watching a promotion you know its dishonest and is trying to sell things to you reviews are meant to help people make decisions and its not like its particular difficult to do there isn't a single reason not to disclaime these things.

Here's the thing though: A positive review on Steam directly benefits the game. (Through a whole list of reasons). Misery putting a positive review on Steam/Other Review Sites means the game will do better because of it. Hence more money. Promotion doesn't affect a game's placing on Steam. (Though it kinda does but it's not as direct). This gets into a really complex conversation on ethics that I'm not particularly wanting to get into in this thread. But suffice it to say, it's considered bad form for a developer of a product to positively review the thing they worked on.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 10:14:18 pm by KingIsaacLinksr »

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.

Here's the thing though: A positive review on Steam directly benefits the game. (Through a whole list of reasons). Misery putting a positive review on Steam/Other Review Sites means the game will do better because of it. Hence more money. Promotion doesn't affect a game's placing on Steam. (Though it kinda does but it's not as direct). This gets into a really complex conversation on ethics that I'm not particularly wanting to get into. But suffice it to say, it's considered bad form for a developer of a product to positively review the thing they worked on. Because they're usually biased.
eh? I never said it didn't just that promotion is deliberate advertising while reviews are just meant to be there to be helpful to people the fact that they affect sales is usually accidental. (bottom line is misery that no you shouldn't make a review for this game)
c.r

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
Ahem, umm, sorry roosterman, I thought you were Cinth and misread what you said. Never mind. Returning back to original topic.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
Ahem, umm, sorry roosterman, I thought you were Cinth and misread what you said. Never mind. Returning back to original topic.
fair enough was just confused realy (:
c.r

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
a slightly random question I thought id ask here since its to do with the trailer how come the reason for everything your doing isn't mentioned in the game it self?.(okay It might in the intro but I don't really get it any more since I've been using the same save for a while)
c.r

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
We could actually do with some screenshots being added by users so they're visible on the steam community page, I think, too.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie

Say what, now???
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
a slightly random question I thought id ask here since its to do with the trailer how come the reason for everything your doing isn't mentioned in the game it self?.(okay It might in the intro but I don't really get it any more since I've been using the same save for a while)
Yep, play the tutorial. And try winning.  >D

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
Yep, play the tutorial. And try winning.  >D
that's were it is? I've kind of ignored it to be honest ill do just that tomorrow.
c.r

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
I'm seeing it on sale on Steam for 25% off.

It's because I have so many other Arcen Titles. Thanks Misery. I missed that.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 07:16:11 am by ptarth »
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk