Author Topic: Starward Rogue BETA 1.502 (Plus upcoming kickstarter expansion!)  (Read 14943 times)

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
Re: Starward Rogue BETA 1.502 (Plus upcoming kickstarter expansion!)
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2016, 07:16:26 pm »
That's  not what I'm seeing.
PlayerMain_FragmentCannon launches FragmentCannonPattern. FragmentCannonPattern launches a HexishellEmblazonedYellow shot for 0.375 seconds which then erupts into a radial pattern with shots separated by 15 degrees.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2016, 07:37:22 pm »
Maybe I was remembering a different pattern/setup.

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2016, 05:50:29 pm »
Bah! Why can't I crash on the first floor instead of the sixth yet again? Grumble, grumble.

Anyway, looking at the attached screenshot, does anyone know which are the 2 mystery enemies remaining on that list? I'd like to find them and annihilate them after all this time.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2016, 07:23:07 pm »
Bah! Why can't I crash on the first floor instead of the sixth yet again? Grumble, grumble.

Anyway, looking at the attached screenshot, does anyone know which are the 2 mystery enemies remaining on that list? I'd like to find them and annihilate them after all this time.

I'm actually not sure, maybe if I look into the code I can spot what's going. I'll have a look tomorrow, probably.

Here's something I need help with. It seems that the tier of perks that contains all the location revealers, All In the Wrist, Key Apprentice, and Movement Speed is a bit...not good, heh. So, I'm thinking of redoing it as something like this (working titles):

Second Wind -- Gain full health at the start of a new floor.

Full Missile Ammo (good name, huh!) -- Gain full missiles at the start of a new floor.

Savings Interest -- Move this from level 2 to here (it's still quite early in the game, though).

Full Map Reveal -- Condense all the separate map reveal stuff back into one perk.

Then I'm not sure. Key Apprentice isn't really the most desirable perk. Movement speed boost is also very hard to fit into a tier since most people just would never take it. All In The Wrist became a bit bad once I removed the destroying missile blocks behaviour. I could re-add this behaviour and move the perk somewhere else. Anybody got any thoughts? Or ideas for new perks for this tier? A theme of "something you get at the start of the next floor" might be good.

Edit: one extra idea, a perk that gives you your first shop item free on each new floor? Too strong?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 07:40:11 pm by Pepisolo »

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2016, 07:57:29 pm »
Here's something I need help with. It seems that the tier of perks that contains all the location revealers, All In the Wrist, Key Apprentice, and Movement Speed is a bit...not good, heh.

Yeah, I saw that.  I had a choice of either of two revealers or Movement Speed.  Very disappointing level up.

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2016, 08:34:34 pm »
Here's something I need help with. It seems that the tier of perks that contains all the location revealers, All In the Wrist, Key Apprentice, and Movement Speed is a bit...not good, heh.
I agree, it's not the most exciting level. I do think All in the Wrist is great...when it works (doesn't play nice with some weapons apparently) and Keyprentice is amazing (was gonna suggest a nerf for that one actually). But I'm afraid my beloved Haste perk and the separate location revealers are just too niche to be desirable in most cases.

For Haste, my suggestion would be to move it to a later level and double its effect, so it can be used to effectively counter accumulated speed debuffs from item choices and an unlucky mystery circuit. Early on, you usually don't need the extra speed. Or convert it to a minor shop item to free up the spot for a more exciting perk.

So, I'm thinking of redoing it as something like this (working titles):

Second Wind -- Gain full health at the start of a new floor.

Full Missile Ammo (good name, huh!) -- Gain full missiles at the start of a new floor.

Savings Interest -- Move this from level 2 to here (it's still quite early in the game, though).

Full Map Reveal -- Condense all the separate map reveal stuff back into one perk.

Edit: one extra idea, a perk that gives you your first shop item free on each new floor? Too strong?
I like the Second Wind a lot and I could think of a couple of builds that could use the Full Missile Ammo (Missile Factory?). Very nice.

Saving Interests doesn't have a lot of opportunities to do its thing at the moment and requires you to hold your purchases to benefit from it. If you get it even later now, its interest rate would need to be adjusted to really make it worthwhile in my opinion.

That shoplifter perk would be OP for sure but definitely a desirable pick for the player. Ah, that effect would have been perfect for my thief mech. Oh well. :P

Would a "random piece of equipment at the start of new floor" perk be too much? Or maybe a specific type only? (Weaponsmith or something)

Edit: Ah ah, I should make Weaponsmith and give it to my Arsenal mech. :D
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 08:37:14 pm by Logorouge »

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2016, 12:44:26 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, guys. So, at the moment I'm looking at this tier instead:

Map Master, Keymaster (I upped this to always giving double keys now that the tier choices are stronger), AllInTheWrist (on the fence with this one, but I left it in for now), Rally (restores health), Resupply (replenishes missiles). I left Savings Interest at level 2 for now, although I was thinking of swapping the positions of Savings Interest and Keymaster. Not sure. I've left the freebie/shoplift item for now as it might be a bit too strong. We could maybe work that idea into the game in some other way.

For Haste, I might just make that a cheap shop item perhaps, although I'd probably need a different name and art.

Would a "random piece of equipment at the start of new floor" perk be too much? Or maybe a specific type only? (Weaponsmith or something)

Sounds possible if we make the item spawn near the player. Mystery bag? Just spawns a random pickup. Maybe a bit too crazy. Limiting it to random consumable  might work.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2016, 01:15:43 pm »
I've left the freebie/shoplift item for now as it might be a bit too strong. We could maybe work that idea into the game in some other way.

Maybe make it a Five Head Discount instead?
That is, make the first item you purchase on every floor X credits cheaper rather than free.

Offline z99-_

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2016, 01:32:36 pm »
I just had a thought:

'Mystery Solved - all mysterious circuits have their functions shown'

For all your changes, they all sound good; though I definitely won't be getting All in the Wrist now that there are lots of good alternatives, I guess someone else might want it.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2016, 06:19:16 pm »
Maybe make it a Five Head Discount instead?
That is, make the first item you purchase on every floor X credits cheaper rather than free.

We could do, it would require a bit of engine work, though, so maybe not worth it.

Mystery Solved - all mysterious circuits have their functions shown'

Good idea, but that would require engine work too. Also, I'm not really a fan of mysterious circuits at the moment. Something like this might be better after they get overhauled -- if they do, of course.

For all your changes, they all sound good; though I definitely won't be getting All in the Wrist now that there are lots of good alternatives, I guess someone else might want it.

For the moment I've made it so that All In the Wrist also destroys missile blocks (which was the original concept of the idea). How does that sound? OP?

Offline z99-_

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2016, 06:28:17 pm »
For the moment I've made it so that All In the Wrist also destroys missile blocks (which was the original concept of the idea). How does that sound? OP?

Relative to those other perks, I think it sounds good. It may mess up the balance of other items that involve that ability, though.

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2016, 08:49:02 pm »
Expansion Kickstarter?

Yep!  Details on this are scarce right now, but basically the volunteers behind all these awesome free updates over the last year are putting together a paid expansion pack with even more new features.  We'll have more on that coming up, and a link to the kickstarter and all that when it's going live, of course.  For now I just wanted to mention that that's a thing on the horizon!
Can I ask some questions about this or is it too early for that?
I don't really mind if the answers have to be vague and subject to change, I'm just really curious.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2016, 08:58:37 pm »
You can of course ask all the questions you want... doesn't necessarily mean you'll get answers, of course, heh.

I'm actually not entirely clear on how much I can or cannot say about it.  Provided I actually know what the answers are.

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2016, 09:35:01 pm »
Alright. Here's the first two:

-What range of budget is the kickstarter going to aim for?
-What kind of tier rewards might be offered?

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2016, 10:42:22 pm »
Well, that's already beyond my range, with those particular questions.  Even if I knew wether I could answer that or not, I don't know what the answers are anyway.  It's all been discussed, I'm sure, all of which I likely forgot 10 minutes afterwards.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk