Author Topic: Have any 1080p videos we can use clips from?  (Read 3690 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Have any 1080p videos we can use clips from?
« on: February 01, 2016, 01:50:28 pm »
Hey everybody,

If you have them on youtube, I know how to yank them -- but I absolutely will not without your permission.  However, I'd like to put together a new video for the steam store (a second video, not a replacement), and I figure the best way to do that is a variety of videos from people of other skill levels and at different parts of the game.

Put more bluntly: if you watched me play the game on twitch, you know that I can hold my own on Normal mode (when I'm not distracted talking), but I look absolutely gooney doing it half the time. ;)  I can't show off higher-level precision play, and I also can't show off smoother middle-level play.  In this game, or Isaac, or any other similar game. ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
Re: Have any 1080p videos we can use clips from?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 01:55:12 pm »
I only have my 15 seconds of glory blowing the Reaper away. I've been super sick so I haven't been able to upload anything but stuff that was already prerecorded (ie my System Shock 2 stream).

But you can probably use that as a segment somewhere. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtStUUG3Cgk
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 01:57:15 pm »
Thank you!

And on another note, I'm very sorry to hear that you've been sick. :(
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 02:09:28 pm »
I could do things like brief videos of hard-mode boss fights or something if you'd like.

Me doing just normal levels probably wouldnt help much, so much zooming all over the place.  That'd take bloody forever to record anyway. 

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 02:12:05 pm »
I have vids, but Xsplit's free version only does 720p from what I can tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

I could do things like brief videos of hard-mode boss fights or something if you'd like.

Me doing just normal levels probably wouldnt help much, so much zooming all over the place.  That'd take bloody forever to record anyway. 

Me doing 7 floors took 2:15 to do (I streamed it and uploaded to YouTube after.  That seems to be a super easy way to make the YouTube videos.
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Matruchus

• Jr. Member Mark II
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 02:12:51 pm »
A couple of videos of my runs but nothing very much spectacular: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGU2FAvB4Bs&list=PLQbka2ZHyEtndEZaWr80EN4xYKWZq667o

I usually die on floor 3 :)

Feel free to use them if you find anything interesting.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 02:17:10 pm by Matruchus »

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 02:28:01 pm »
Okay, I COULD do it if Gamecaster would have the bloody account payment be noticed sometime this century.

Ugh.  One of these days, I'll find recording software that DOESNT drive me crazy in some fashion.  Today is not that day.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 02:44:33 pm »
Also my controller setup needs to stop being absolute garbage.

I hate micro-USB cables.  So much.  Soooooooo much.

I need hedge clippers here.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 03:01:29 pm »
Might try Open Broadcast Software? https://obsproject.com/
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 03:25:10 pm »
Might try Open Broadcast Software? https://obsproject.com/

I'll give that a go in a bit.  Not feeling all that great 1st thing in the morning.
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 03:28:29 pm »
If all goes well there will be an enemy (or more than one) in the next version that will inspire more hatred than Blaze Cannons. So cheer up.  >D
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 03:31:00 pm »
Okay, I've got one going up, BUT, *every* video of hard mode bosses is going to illustrate certain problems that the game has, when it comes to difficulties higher than Normal.

Those issues:   

1.  Hitbox is still way too big. I've heard this complaint from more than a few people, and even I refer to it as "bloated".  This actually could be a major issue later; misery mode may be literally impossible to implement, particularly since it goes along with:

2.  Player range is still way too short.  Most patterns cannot be increased easily simply due to the fact that the player must be super close to the boss at all times to hit it.  And that's with the basic gun; anything with shorter range is so bad it may as well not exist.  If the boss is on the edge of the screen, you cannot hit it; that should not be the case. This isnt as much of an issue with bosses that have you circling around them (though it's still definitely an issue), but for all other types, it's a big problem.  Aberration is a good example of this.  You *have* to be close to hit it, but the closer you are, the thicker the mess you're in.  The only way to solve this would basically be to take the firing systems OFF of the boss and shove them really far behind it, so you have something you can hit while the pattern is operating from a sensible distance.  This would, though, look fairly ridiculous.

3.  It's *really* hard to figure out where the hitbox even is.  I know where it is now.... but it took alot of experimenting and purposefully crashing into bullets very slowly to figure this out.  That's a bad thing.  I've never had to do that before.  F7 doesnt show it, by the way.  It shows it around the full sprite, which isnt where it is.

4.  Mobile bosses.... probably not doing anymore of those.  They're just too uncontrollable.  In the video you can see this one sorta shove me into a few nearly-unavoidable walls because of the random nature of the AI in the third pattern.  I may have to actually remove that pattern entirely later on and replace it with a stationary one.  It works right now.... but only barely.  That pattern cannot be increased further, it's effectively maxed out. 

Now, to be fair, a couple of hits I took in this video were because I was rushing a bit; this damn recording software is infuriating and I was getting just a tad fed up with it.  And granted, the player is *not* expected to perfectly dodge these as they would in a "pure" shmup (I make it still technically possible though).  The boss (and normal enemies) need a high chance of striking the player many times, due to the player's ability to take quite alot of hits before going down (that Isaac's enemies/bosses dont use heavy attacks like that is one of the reasons why that game is so easy; you can take *alot* of hits before going down but avoiding taking any damage from a given boss really isnt hard to do).

But still, these are definite issues.  They're not a problem on Normal mode, but the more of a challenge the player wants, the bigger these problems get.  The hitbox one is by far the biggest though.

Anyway, I apologize if that sounds too negative, it's just mild feedback from me in my usual manner.  I always sound negative.  I need more time to experiment with it before I see how the misery mode is actually going to go.

....also Battleswarm's hard mode pattern is all sorts of glitched out.  How.... how did I not spot that....

If all goes well there will be an enemy (or more than one) in the next version that will inspire more hatred than Blaze Cannons. So cheer up.  >D

I'll increase the annoyance on those things if I need to, just see if I dont!  They're the Medusa Heads, dagnabit!

Still resisting the urge to make a "blaze boss" though.  Even I'm not THAT unpleasant.  At the moment.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 03:32:30 pm »
https://youtu.be/GMY4lMWqqow

Also here's the video.

It's not perfect, but bah.    It is at least in the proper resolution and the sound didn't break this time (I dont know why Gamecaster randomly does that).

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 03:35:56 pm »
I'll probably do a test stream with that software after lunch.  I don't know how doing it in 1080 is going to effect everything so I'll need some guys from here to be sticking their heads in for a minute to help me on the other end.  I'll tentatively say around 3 est (1 my time), maybe sooner.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 03:48:24 pm »
The weapon firing sounds for the boss don't fit very well for me. They don't seem synchronized with any particular attack, perhaps the offset is too big?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk