Author Topic: Extremely dark rooms  (Read 2329 times)

Offline LaGrange

• Newbie Mark III
Extremely dark rooms
« on: January 31, 2016, 09:51:05 pm »
Both the 'sacrifice rooms' and the 'secret rooms' are these pitch-black monstrosities where you can hardly see a thing. Is this the intended behavior?

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
Re: Extremely dark rooms
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 09:58:04 pm »
Yes. They are.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline LaGrange

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 01:08:32 am »
OK, well... count me creeped out. Perhaps that was the intended effect.  :) Thanks for the clarification! It doesn't hinder the game, of course. I was just making sure my graphics weren't getting messed up.

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 01:12:47 am »
I actually don't like the dark rooms. They feel unnecessary and they are annoying when you first start playing, and pointless after the first few (as in, the darkness is pointless, not the contents of the room).

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 01:30:47 am »
Making it about half as dark as it is now would make me happier.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline dumpsterKEEPER

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 04:56:26 am »
Personally, I enjoy the look and feel of the secret rooms. I particularly like the ambient sound when inside. They're such a change of pace from the rest of the game, both visually and functionally.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 01:30:49 pm »
OK, well... count me creeped out. Perhaps that was the intended effect.  :) Thanks for the clarification! It doesn't hinder the game, of course. I was just making sure my graphics weren't getting messed up.
That's kind of their point. To make you go "What the everliving heck is this?? O_O" the first time you run across them.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 01:43:19 pm »
There is a difference between "spooky" and "wtf, why is this so dark? Is this room broken?". For example, imagine the current rooms just as dark as now, but with red spinning emergency likes that light up sections of the room intermittently as they spin. That would convey more atmosphere than just darkness. Of course, I have no idea whether such a lighting system is even supported by the engine.

Offline Apathetic

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 03:46:59 pm »
I understand why they're dark.  But they seem a bit too dark.  Recently I've just taken to hitting F7 to see the collision boxes to navigate some of the rooms without hitting things too much.

Offline LaGrange

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 03:50:56 pm »
There is a difference between "spooky" and "wtf, why is this so dark? Is this room broken?"
Yeah, that's it exactly. There must be a way to make the darkness look cool, rather than triggering the thought that there's an unintended display glitch.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk