Author Topic: desiring more story content  (Read 4430 times)

Offline Jabberwok

desiring more story content
« on: February 03, 2016, 09:26:56 pm »
I have no idea what the backstory to SR is yet, but it'd be kinda cool to see more fiction woven into the game, perhaps in the form of collectible archives of some kind. Just to give things more personality. The Megalith seems like an interesting place. Would love to know more about its history, or at least be tantalized with cryptic data of some sort.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: desiring more story content
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 09:31:30 pm »
I'll agree with that, sure.  Might be interesting to learn more.

There's more stuff related to that in the works, but that's all I can tell you.  Mostly I'm just letting you know that this aspect of the game hasnt been forgotten or anything.

I like the idea of collectible archives in particular.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 09:41:13 pm »
We actually have a huge amount of voice work as well as written work waiting, but not part of the game yet.  It may wind up being part of the first expansion at this point, because it's a lot of stuff!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 09:42:52 pm »
I know that there IS more story content that could be added. Full endings, even. And voice work!

I like the idea of collectible archives. We could tie those to meta-progression; archival data as a currency that you spend between runs to get more lore.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 09:43:46 pm »
I know that there IS more story content that could be added. Full endings, even.

Very coy. ;)

For those who don't know, he wrote them.  :P
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 09:47:19 pm »
We actually have a huge amount of voice work as well as written work waiting, but not part of the game yet.  It may wind up being part of the first expansion at this point, because it's a lot of stuff!

Is it possible to add a bit before that point?  Something small at least.

Mostly just to give players satisfaction of learning something about it in the current state of the game, and hinting that there will be more to come.  The current super-abrupt end is... very jarring.  It's been mentioned often in various places.

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 09:47:49 pm »
Are we not playing coy anymore? Okay yeah, I wrote the scenario, backstory and story. :D AMA.

Might as well tell you here Chris but I have an idea for (what now seems to be becoming) expansion 2 that I'll run by you once I flesh it out a bit more.

Is it possible to add a bit before that point?  Something small at least.

Mostly just to give players satisfaction of learning something about it in the current state of the game, and hinting that there will be more to come.  The current super-abrupt end is... very jarring.  It's been mentioned often in various places.
Yeah, that needs to change, especially given what happens at 7 Warden kills.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 09:52:30 pm by Watashiwa »

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 09:52:05 pm »
I've now officially lost count on just how many people have put work of some sort into this game at this point.

It's somewhere between 15 and 20 squillion, I think.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 09:52:47 pm »
The main thing is that it would divert coding hours if we integrate the story stuff right now.  As much as I'd like to do that, we're on a strict coding hours budget so that we don't take (too much) of a loss on the post-release support.  And right now there's a lot of other things that I think are more important to people than the story pieces.  Hence my thought process here.

If it was making money that would be a different thing, but we're already back down to earning less per month than we spend even WITH the reduced staff and all the volunteers.  So I'm really cautious about how we spend our time, and trying to make sure that we keep future projects going so that we don't sink what's left of this boat.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 09:53:31 pm »
I've now officially lost count on just how many people have put work of some sort into this game at this point.

There are at least 9 that I know you were never aware of in the first place, too.  Just because they were artists or logo designers or trailer designers or whatever that you had no occasion to meet.

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 09:56:09 pm »

Depends, are you counting the full time staff or just the contractors?

There are at least 9 that I know you were never aware of in the first place, too.  Just because they were artists or logo designers or trailer designers or whatever that you had no occasion to meet.
You still need to find a use for that most awesome wrong promotional image.  :P

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 09:59:46 pm »
Indeed.

Offline Jabberwok

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 10:15:34 pm »
Cool, good to know. I like the voice work I've heard so far. Even outside of the main story, I think it'd be satisfying to gradually fill out an archive of tangential lore across multiple runs, collecting bits and pieces of the puzzle scattered around.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 10:19:53 pm »
there's going to be more story? sweet! I had the impression that story was going to get forgotten about after the bad news and the Rodney thread personally id love an archive to find out more about just everything really. ps there's an expansion coming already? that wow that was pretty quick
c.r

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 10:25:28 pm »
there's an expansion coming already? that wow that was pretty quick

Dont expect it to happen super fast though.  Not going to be a particularly quick process.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk