Author Topic: Comment on the Cluster Launcher  (Read 2041 times)

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Gardener Enclave
Comment on the Cluster Launcher
« on: May 07, 2016, 05:42:29 am »
I have the Sheltering Module (Immune to explosive damage) and the Cluster Launcher as a main weapon and the Corrosive Drone (which fires when I fire my main gun).

The Cluster Launcher explicitly doesn't count as explosive damages, and my Sheltering Module doesn't prevent me from damaging myself with my Cluster Launcher. My secondary (energy) weapon is powerful but using only it would make my Corrosive Drone useless.

I'm very disappointed with this anti-combo. I'm proposing here a pair of tweaks; I think they are interesting both independently and together (implementing only one of them would be okay, IMO). Tell me what you think of it.

1) The Cluster Launcher could deal actual explosive damage. The Sheltering Module would prevent the player from self-damaging. The Cluster Launcher is a very interesting weapon because it's a rather powerful weapon (low RoF, though) but dangerous to use because of the potential self-damages. The combo with the Sheltering Module would be interesting, allowing the player to carelessly use it, more like a regular weapon, at the expense of the module and main weapon slot (changing either slot would make the other less interesting, thus the interest of a combo).

2) The Cluster Launcher could be an energy weapon. It's slow-firing and while it can damage player, it's unlikely to use it permanently, like a regular, free ammo weapon. Also, it would allow the use of sync-firing drones, such as the Corrosive Drone, without the fear of self-damaging because of the main gun.

What do you think? Have you looted the Cluster Launcher? Have you tried it? Don't you feel it being a primary weapon sounds odd?
Please excuse my english: I'm not a native speaker. Don't hesitate to correct me.

Offline Logorouge

Re: Comment on the Cluster Launcher
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 10:25:33 am »
What do you think? Have you looted the Cluster Launcher? Have you tried it? Don't you feel it being a primary weapon sounds odd?
I was also disappointed to see the "this explosion doesn't count as an explosion" part of the weapon, as I like the launcher a lot. I kinda forgot to post about it, but I wanted to propose the removal of its damage type exception to give the Minemaster perk more appeal. Didn't think of the Sheltering Module, but that makes it even better I think.

Because seriously, what DOES count as explosive damage in this game?

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 11:18:49 am »
I believe missiles, mines, and maybe alien eggs count as explosive damage. Damage immunity is an awkward duck, it swings between too powerful and too weak very easily, depending on the frequency of sources of that damage. It may be feasible to grant the MineMaster perk and Sheltering module immunity to the damage type that the cluster bomb uses.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 12:49:15 pm »
I believe that we might just remove the last few instances of friendly fire from the game. One idea for the MineMaster perk was to remake it as TrapMaster, which would give immunity to mines, and floor spikes? How does this sound?

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 12:55:25 pm »
Caltrop damage isn't deal with as normal damage, so that might be tricky.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 12:58:46 pm »
It's still dealt somewhere, adding an if-then check to that method should work just fine.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk