Author Topic: .137 Boss discussion  (Read 2013 times)

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
.137 Boss discussion
« on: November 24, 2015, 11:34:42 pm »
I ran across Lady Staccato... wow.  Very tight gaps here.  1-1 so far. 
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
Re: .137 Boss discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 12:14:33 am »
Shrapnel Rose Form 1 & 2
  • The initial shot should be invisible for each of the systems.
Shrapnel Rose Form 2
  • Can the second rotating pink shots be changed to a different color/type to differentiate them from the pink shots in the first pattern?

Shrapnel Rose Solution
Spoiler for Hiden:
Afterburner in to get above or below the boss. The only "dangerous" ones are the pink ones. Wait until the blue/green shots are fired then move to the opposite side  of the boss, repeat to end first form. The second form has a trickier new pink shot series. I've managed to dps it down to kill it but I can't find the hole in the pattern regularly.

Lady Staccato
  • Oooph.
  • Can we get the green shot to be a different color, to me it blends in with the yellows?
  • Likewise, can the yellow trident shift to a different color to differentiate it from the homing yellows?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 01:01:40 am by ptarth »
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 12:44:13 am »
Your black isn't black enough to blend in on your spoiler.

Spoiler for Use this instead:
Afterburner in to get above or below the boss. The only "dangerous" ones are the pink ones. Wait until the blue/green shots are fired then move to the opposite side  of the boss, repeat to end first form. The second form has a trickier new pink shot series. I've managed to dps it down to kill it but I can't find the hole in the pattern regularly.
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 01:02:58 am »
Acknowledged and fixed. Thanks.
Forum has changed on me and I didn't think manual tags would work anymore. They do, woohoo.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 01:08:14 am »
Yeah, neither of these bosses are really set up for lower difficulties or anything like that; consider these the "hard mode" versions.  Though, Chris has set them to be later floors only, so they're not going to get lowered THAT much for normal mode (I'll be taking another stab at getting some of these bosses setup for difficulty changes today).

And yes, I can change the colors of some of the bullets, no problem.  Though, in some cases, what really needs to happen to make certain specific shots stand out is a size change, not a color change; that'll come in the future but is not available yet.  Typically this would be for "important" bullets that, well, DO things.  Usually things like making more bullets. 

On a total side note, I've no idea why "Staccato" was changed to "Lady Staccato", that kinda surprised me.... but whatever, as long as it obliterates- er, I mean, challenges players, that's good.  

More to come in .138.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 02:02:39 am »
Acknowledged and fixed. Thanks.
Forum has changed on me and I didn't think manual tags would work anymore. They do, woohoo.

I usually preview stuff when I play with quotes and tags.  Just to make sure it looks right.  Anyway, glad to help.

Yeah, neither of these bosses are really set up for lower difficulties or anything like that; consider these the "hard mode" versions.  Though, Chris has set them to be later floors only, so they're not going to get lowered THAT much for normal mode (I'll be taking another stab at getting some of these bosses setup for difficulty changes today).

And yes, I can change the colors of some of the bullets, no problem.  Though, in some cases, what really needs to happen to make certain specific shots stand out is a size change, not a color change; that'll come in the future but is not available yet.  Typically this would be for "important" bullets that, well, DO things.  Usually things like making more bullets.

On a total side note, I've no idea why "Staccato" was changed to "Lady Staccato", that kinda surprised me.... but whatever, as long as it obliterates- er, I mean, challenges players, that's good.  

More to come in .138.

LS definitely is a challenge right now.  I would be 2-0 had I got away from her the second run.  I had tried to play real close and messed up the timing real bad and needed to switch to a long range approach. Got caught  out :)

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 09:43:55 pm »
Ok Staccato isn't so bad except for the canister shot.  Everything else is fairly easy to dodge.  Those canister shots tend to crowd me out very fast in any gaps I find myself in.  As it is, I'm bouncing between opposite corners to try and get damage in.  Unless I have some range upgrades and can corner fight (or have a good secondary with range).

Shrapnel.... OMG.  SPAAAAMMMMMM.  Spam is actually good pan fried on a sandwich.  Watch as Shrapnel pan fries me in mere moments... exaggeration but sweet mother of pink everywhere...

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 08:58:46 am »
Okay, I've started the process of implementing and slightly re-balancing the "hard mode" patterns for the bosses.   Right now, this includes Crystal Mother, and Battleswarm.  The tougher patterns will only appear on Hard difficulty or higher.

They're actually a little tougher than the original difficult patterns.  I'm sorry.  Well, okay, no I'm not.

Battleswarm's 2nd pattern also can no longer be skipped so easily, as it's received a massive HP boost.

I was going to start the process of implementing mode-specific versions of these patterns earlier, but had encountered really screwy problems.  Naturally, the solution was right in front of me, sigh...

Ok Staccato isn't so bad except for the canister shot.  Everything else is fairly easy to dodge.  Those canister shots tend to crowd me out very fast in any gaps I find myself in.  As it is, I'm bouncing between opposite corners to try and get damage in.  Unless I have some range upgrades and can corner fight (or have a good secondary with range).

Shrapnel.... OMG.  SPAAAAMMMMMM.  Spam is actually good pan fried on a sandwich.  Watch as Shrapnel pan fries me in mere moments... exaggeration but sweet mother of pink everywhere...

The important thing with Shrapnel is to take it sloooooooowwwwww.  If you're moving around alot, you're just increasing your chances of getting hit.   That, and knowing where your hitbox is, are important for defeating this boss.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk