Poll

What's your favorite name here?  Feel free to comment with other names, or change your vote later.

This World Is Mine
3 (15.8%)
From a Dying Sun
6 (31.6%)
Stars Beyond Reach
7 (36.8%)
Stars Beyond Reach: This World Is Mine
3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Name our upcoming 4x (best - Stars Beyond Reach) POLL 10/27  (Read 78218 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Name our upcoming 4x (current best - Colony 88) (POLL 9/16)
« Reply #180 on: September 16, 2014, 04:39:03 pm »
Nice! :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #181 on: September 16, 2014, 04:44:39 pm »
I've quoted those couple of panels from Ed like a dozen times.

"Evil is always having a reason.  Punishing the world for not being like in head."

Offline MarioFanaticXV

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #182 on: September 16, 2014, 07:08:28 pm »
Colony Asteria?

I just feel it's a shame that Asteria has never been used in a sci-fi title before.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #183 on: September 16, 2014, 07:14:26 pm »
I don't know, Asteria just feels a bit historical to me, rather than sci-fi.  It's a cool name, but it doesn't scream "title" to me, and when I see a title like that I wouldn't immediately think sci-fi.  Personally.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
Re: Name our upcoming 4x (current best - Fallen Colony) (POLL 9/16)
« Reply #184 on: September 16, 2014, 07:49:39 pm »
Fallen Colony?

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #185 on: September 16, 2014, 08:39:12 pm »
Fallen Colony is the name of a Tekken 6 BGM track ;) (36000 results, and more than 500k views on youtube altogether) would be hard to push that to 2nd result page with this game's promotion video material and let's plays.

Colony 88 (and Colony 17) = no (relevant) matches

Meaning it's easy to find the game when people do let's plays. With Colony 88/17 a video would always be on top of the result.

I think someone was reading this topic for inspiration by the way, because now we have Lords of the Black Sun ( http://store.steampowered.com/app/246940/ ) a mediocre 4x ;)

I think Colony is OK.. i mean it could be worse.... like "Lords of the Colony" (sounds medieval though) ;p ;)

Serene Colony ? ;P
Spectral Sun ? ;P

Or how about Deus Ex Colony ? Or Colony EX ? ;)
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #186 on: September 16, 2014, 09:19:40 pm »
Isn't it a rebirth of a civilization though? You can go with a phoenix metaphor:

Phoenix Colony

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #187 on: September 17, 2014, 01:23:45 am »
How about:
Lone Colony
Or something with Enclave - cause that's what your colony will wind up being, doesn't it?
Although I grant you that "Ivoria Enclave" might sound a bit off...

EDIT: How about Enclave Zero or Zero Enclave?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 01:29:25 am by nas1m »
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #188 on: September 17, 2014, 08:22:35 am »
"Colony" implies that it is a settlement that belongs to another country/world somewhere.

Offline wwwhhattt

« Reply #189 on: September 17, 2014, 09:07:49 am »
Seeing as the people are from another world Colony should work out fine. I don't think colonies need to involve expansion.

I'm not sure that Fallen would be good, even if it had googled fine - it sounds like the colony itself has collapsed, rather than growing from the collapse of something else. (which I think's what happened?)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #190 on: September 17, 2014, 09:09:40 am »
Fallen Colony is the name of a Tekken 6 BGM track ;) (36000 results, and more than 500k views on youtube altogether) would be hard to push that to 2nd result page with this game's promotion video material and let's plays.

This is... a really good point.  I saw that it was a Tekken stage, but I was like "eh, it won't matter with trademark for something like that."  But you're absolutely right on the google results and so forth.

Colony 88 (and Colony 17) = no (relevant) matches

Meaning it's easy to find the game when people do let's plays. With Colony 88/17 a video would always be on top of the result.

Yep, it's something we always go for, and usually achieve.

I think someone was reading this topic for inspiration by the way, because now we have Lords of the Black Sun ( http://store.steampowered.com/app/246940/ ) a mediocre 4x ;)

Hahaha, that's funny.  I'm sure they already had that name prior to this, but it is funny.

I think Colony is OK.. i mean it could be worse.... like "Lords of the Colony" (sounds medieval though) ;p ;)

Serene Colony ? ;P
Spectral Sun ? ;P

Or how about Deus Ex Colony ? Or Colony EX ? ;)

Colony EX isn't half bad.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #191 on: September 17, 2014, 09:19:55 am »
Isn't it a rebirth of a civilization though? You can go with a phoenix metaphor:

Phoenix Colony

That's true, and that one doesn't come up with any relevant results.  I feel like the Phoenix metaphor is really overdone these days, though.  Fenix Colony, maybe? ;)  Cookie to people who get the reference.

How about:
Lone Colony
Or something with Enclave - cause that's what your colony will wind up being, doesn't it?
Although I grant you that "Ivoria Enclave" might sound a bit off...

EDIT: How about Enclave Zero or Zero Enclave?

Enclave makes me think of a religious cult.  I don't know, it seems to have cultish connotations, anyway.

Lone is pretty cool, and Lone Colony doesn't have any real results.  But that does seem to imply there isn't anyone else there -- when in fact the planet is brimming with other races, AND you might have co-op allies, AND the planet itself is harassing you verbally.

"Colony" implies that it is a settlement that belongs to another country/world somewhere.

That's true.  I'm open to a better word, Colony isn't my absolute favorite.  But going with something that isn't so obscure that it gets meaningless is something I want to do.  My favorite titles for strategy games tend to be very iconic and all-encompassing:

Age of Empires
Empire Earth
Rise of Nations
Civilization
Rebuild
Risk
Homeworld

And so on.  Those are all such strong names, and just very sweeping.  The problem is that, of course, all the good ones have been taken.  And even the above ones have been lessened in their impact because of all the many many MANY games that have the name Age or Rise or Empire in them, now.  So what were actually really powerful names back in the day, really aren't anymore.  Which is fine, because they got the job done in the time period that they were released.  And now the big ones have a legacy, like Civilization, so that's also fine.

Seeing as the people are from another world Colony should work out fine. I don't think colonies need to involve expansion.

I'm not sure that Fallen would be good, even if it had googled fine - it sounds like the colony itself has collapsed, rather than growing from the collapse of something else. (which I think's what happened?)

Yeah, I'm less and less excited by Fallen.  And you're correct with your understanding of what's happened.  This is a colony ship that has escaped from a calamity, and so far as they know they MIGHT be the last of their kind, but they have no way to be sure.  They arrive at a planet that they call something different depending on which race it is, and they discover that they are "late to the party," so to speak.  The other races there are already built up and powerful, but the planet itself (which is sentient) helps to keep the peace somewhat.

In co-op, between 1 and 8 players all have colony ships of different races that arrive at once.  So in those cases it's actually a series of colonies or cities or whatever all being established at once, rather than just one.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #192 on: September 17, 2014, 09:32:10 am »

Hahaha, that's funny.  I'm sure they already had that name prior to this, but it is funny.

Yeah they changed it a month before this topic opened.. I guess we are all formed by society into certain boundaries when it comes to naming sci-fi stuff so "unique" is pretty dang hard to come by nowadays.

Deus Machinarum would be an interesting title too (not for sci-fi I guess, more for dystopia) and if you say "sounds like a death metal band" then you are right. Apparently there is one called that... Supremus Deus Machinarum

ehm, anyway ;p The quest continues

It could also be Colony Resurgence (or Colonial Resurgence)  ? ;P
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #193 on: September 17, 2014, 09:40:26 am »
Space Settlers
Lost Settlers
Newtopia (Mix of Utopia and New)
Project: Settlement/Colony
Haunting Planet

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #194 on: September 17, 2014, 10:01:35 am »
Going for foreign words is overall something I want to avoid.  I love latin, and to a much lesser extent greek, but I'd like to stick to something that is one language, I think.  With the possibility of having a greek modifier for something, or the name of a star that is in another language.

Settlers is a good word, although I'm less fond of it in general and so it would have to be paired with something really good to work.

Lost is something that is really overused in sci-fi space names, I think.

Going with anything that sounds ghostly or whatever is something I think I want to stay away from (yes we had Spectral before, but that was part of the problem).

Utopia doesn't feel right to me here, because you're going to be building anything but.  It's not that you're building something bad, but you're basically explorers/pioneers/developers on a harsh alien landscape surrounded by a mix of friendly and hostile aliens.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk