Author Topic: Current SBR schedule as of 1/29/15.  (Read 13335 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Current SBR schedule as of 1/29/15.
« on: January 29, 2015, 10:05:28 am »
May as well post this in its own topic for more visibility, even though I posted this in another thread.

Right now based on my current internal schedule...

I should have all of the systems fully specced to a ready-for-implementation status (which includes all the general data entry for them, too) by the end of next Wednesday.  Then it will be at least a week before Keith finishes coding all those pieces, but I'll be testing other stuff in the meantime.

Then there's going to be a whole lot of mess to clean up based on first-pass "just get something we can experiment" sloppy UIs needing refinement into real UIs if their mechanics work, or else refactored into something else if their mechanics are less than ideal.  That will be pretty light on me in terms of implementation work, because that sort of speccing doesn't take much time at all.  It's going to take Keith quite a while to implement, though, I'm sure.  "Lots of little things," basically, and GUIs are always painfully slow to do well.

But I won't be remotely idle, because I'm going to be going through literally hundreds of buildings with thousands of stats working on getting those balanced the way that I want.  Right now I have a first-pass version of those that feels like it is in the ballpark, but I want to get it a lot closer than that for an actual game release even to alpha.  So I'll be hammering the heck out of that, plus logging more bugs and change requests, while Keith is working on the code for his stuff.

Depending on how long all that takes, we're looking at practically the start of March for bringing in alpha players.  Possibly a week earlier than that if things go optimistically well, but I'd rather give you guys something more polished than getting a lot of distracting feedback on things that I already know need tuning.

Then from there we're off to the races with the alpha.  There will still be some content that needs to be added at that point, including a number of visual things and over half of the victory paths.  And pretty much all of the tutorials, I imagine.

This is running a bit later than I wanted, but not disastrously so like TLF was at this point last year.  This is also feeling a lot more solid to me than TLF was at this point last year, so the extra up-front time is definitely worth it.  Alpha isn't going to be about trying to figure out how to fix large tracts of the game or whatever, it's going to be about refining things to that aspects of the implementation don't get in the way of what the game already is.  That's a nice change of pace, heh. ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
Re: Current SBR schedule as of 1/29/15.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 10:07:49 am »
It's also worth noting that some of the UIs are already pretty much 100% complete, mainly the tech tree.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 01:08:30 pm »
Impressive!  How many people do you have working on this game, besides you and Keith?

I went ahead and split out the answer into a separate topic, because it's a long post and I thought it might be more visible/interesting in that area.

Offline steelwing

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 01:46:21 pm »
I saw. :)  Thank you!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 02:11:14 pm »
Yep! :)

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 06:02:41 pm »
Anticipation building!!

Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 01:26:32 am »
Yeesh, that's alot of work you're doing here. I dunno how the heck you guys manage all of this.  Though yeah, it doesnt sound as hard as it was with TLF getting all switched around partway through.  I dont even recall just what led to that.  I just remember that it sounded very stressful to me.  I'd have likely launched a monitor out the window, if I'd been the one to have to do that. 

Here's hoping that kind of frustration can be avoided with this one. 

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 08:35:46 am »
It's definitely a lot of work, but it's enjoyable work, which is good.  TLF was enjoyable for the most part, except for a couple of months there where it was brutal because things just weren't working left.  I was working weekends and we had to do a layoff of half the staff, and it was not pretty.  We got there in the end, but a big part of my goal with SBR has been to not have that experience again.

Offline ElOhTeeBee

• Jr. Member Mark II
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 12:11:14 pm »
Late Feb/early March, huh? Gotta admit, I'm glad my annual familial visit to a guy with absolutely godawful internet will not be a hindrance in my desire to help spell check things.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 12:44:08 pm »
Hahaha. ;)

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 07:34:12 pm »
Yeesh, that's alot of work you're doing here. I dunno how the heck you guys manage all of this.  Though yeah, it doesnt sound as hard as it was with TLF getting all switched around partway through.  I dont even recall just what led to that.  I just remember that it sounded very stressful to me.  I'd have likely launched a monitor out the window, if I'd been the one to have to do that. 

Here's hoping that kind of frustration can be avoided with this one.

I think it was related to combat, misery. That's where the shmup came from.
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 01:33:55 pm »
Yep, precisely.  We went through like 5 iterations of that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk