Author Topic: Beta 0.904 (Top HUD Redesign)  (Read 8684 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Beta 0.904 (Top HUD Redesign)
« on: August 11, 2015, 12:07:07 pm »
Release notes: https://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Stars_Beyond_Reach_Beta_Phase_2_Release_Notes#Version_0.904

IMPORTANT CAVEATS:
1. This strips out international incidents, and thus part of the attack logic, but it doesn't yet have the events logic that replaces it.  So I'm not even sure how the attacking stuff will play out, if at all.  I haven't bothered checking.

2. There are a number of buildings that are patently useless at the moment.  Those, too, require the upcoming events to be of use.

3. Similarly, resources serve no purpose right at the moment.  Events!

WHY RELEASE, THEN?
1. Overall, the citybuilding stuff is not much affected by any of the caveats.

2. A variety of bugfixes and other things that I'd like to have out of the way for anyone who is playing the citybuilding right now.

3. The top HUD redesign is now in place, and that's a pretty big deal!  That has a huge impact on the clarity of the citybuilding side, and I figure it's good to go ahead and get that released prior to the events stuff coming early next week.  May as well do this in two waves so that not everything is all piled in one release next week.

4. Oh yeah, the improvements to the tech tree re: searching it, and having the tech descriptions be more useful (though still no flavor text yet) are in.  I'm super jazzed about the search in particular -- goodness does that feel good to have. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
Re: Beta 0.904 (Top HUD Redesign)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 12:11:30 pm »
Dang events and their running off with all the things! :P

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 12:14:05 pm »
Pretty much!  They're kind of the One Mechanic To Rule Them All, to a large extent.  ;D
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 12:30:09 pm »
I always thought that power production measured on bunny consumption was a hilarious feature, not an oversight. I'll be sad to let it go, but it is much more PC.
The new gui update looks really good.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 12:33:15 pm »
I think that Keith snuck the bunnies thing in there as a joke.  I presume it was him, unless I did it and forgot.  I think it's funny, but definitely not something people would appreciate in terms of the tone of the game, heh.

Glad you're liking the new GUI update!  I'm finding it far clearer, myself, too.

Offline Zebeast46

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 01:31:59 pm »
Any idea when the events will be released?
AI 1 = Chris.

AI 2 = Keith.

Taken from Bognor

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 02:11:46 pm »
Any idea when the events will be released?
End of the week or the start of next week iirc. Chris ETA'd the next testing phase to the 17th, and that always coincides with major updates.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 02:17:02 pm »
Either Monday or Tuesday, hopefully.  The next testing phase will probably start Tuesday at the earliest, because I want one day of the existing testers, probably.

Offline Zebeast46

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 02:35:31 pm »
Wow, I am so unlucky I am going away next week again so I will miss the update :(.
AI 1 = Chris.

AI 2 = Keith.

Taken from Bognor

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 03:09:43 pm »
Blah, sorry!

Offline Vinco

• Jr. Member Mark II
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 05:30:11 pm »
That new HUD is a major upgrade!  I'm looking forward to taking a new "first crack" at the game with next week's additions.  I think I'll hit less of a wall with the improved information delivery.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 06:30:19 pm »
Either Monday or Tuesday, hopefully.  The next testing phase will probably start Tuesday at the earliest, because I want one day of the existing testers, probably.
so I presume you mean next weeks Tuesday/Monday since its already nearly past Tuesday were I am.(which sucks because believe it or not I'm going on holiday for the week as well)
c.r

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 08:23:45 pm »
That new HUD is a major upgrade!  I'm looking forward to taking a new "first crack" at the game with next week's additions.  I think I'll hit less of a wall with the improved information delivery.

Awesome!  I'm glad -- I thought that this is really the case, too.  Very glad to hear others feel the same. :)

so I presume you mean next weeks Tuesday/Monday since its already nearly past Tuesday were I am.(which sucks because believe it or not I'm going on holiday for the week as well)

Yep, sorry for the confusion.  Next week!

Offline wwwhhattt

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 08:05:30 am »
Tuesday's my day off!
Life is good.

I'm very interested in seeing the new diplomacy - I think I only ever used the old system for introductions.

Offline Tormodino

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2015, 01:16:48 pm »
The new UI is great. A vast improvement over the old one.
And is that a new font I see?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk