Author Topic: Beta 0.898 (Beauty and the Bugs)  (Read 2609 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Beta 0.898 (Beauty and the Bugs)
« on: June 24, 2015, 08:58:25 pm »
The notes!  http://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Stars_Beyond_Reach_Beta_Phase_2_Release_Notes#Version_0.898

This one is a huge one, concerned with a ton of different things.  The vast majority of this is the work that Keith, Cath, and Blue did in my absence.  Some of it is stuff that the four of us then also did today.

This really clears out a huge portion of the backlog of "short term nits I wanted to get rid of" from a clarity, usability, bug, etc, standpoint, which is good.  There's still plenty to do on that front, and of course now it's time for me to get back in the saddle regarding diplomacy and international incidents and trade (all of which is tied up together), but I'm extremely happy with the progress that has been made since the last build.

Enjoy!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline topper

Re: Beta 0.898 (Beauty and the Bugs)
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 09:17:43 pm »
The notes sound very nice!
The game actually is able to FINALLY detect when the window does and does not have focus, and now disables edge scrolling and input and so on while that is happening. No more scrolling off into the middle of nowhere when you alt-tab out -- FINALLY!
Finally!  ;D Is this coming to your other titles in the semi-near future now too? What made the difference?

There may be a problem with rendering in this version. My screen has crazy "ghosting" behavior when moving anything around, including panning the map. It looks like the frames jump back and forth between the new location, and the location it was just in. This also made the quit menu almost impossible to read since it was glitching a little. Anyways, yeah, the rendering/drawing is borked for me.

Offline mooncows

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 09:22:29 pm »
ai war keeps kicking my ass

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 09:48:21 pm »
What OS are you on?
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline mooncows

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 09:54:23 pm »
windows 8.1

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 09:54:57 pm »
Also, for anyone with this problem: since I don't have the time to solve this tonight, if you have this issue you can go into the properties for the game in the Steam menu (right-click the game in steam and hit properties, I mean), and choose the beta branch called 0.897, which will revert you to last version.

Another question: are you playing with vsync on?

Offline mooncows

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 09:56:14 pm »
Yes. I turned it off, fixed the issue.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 09:57:35 pm »
this is a pretty lovely patch although you still haven't tackled the bug I've found.(the one were I can pretty much ignore the tech restriction on languages above lvl 5)
c.r

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 09:57:50 pm »
The notes sound very nice!
The game actually is able to FINALLY detect when the window does and does not have focus, and now disables edge scrolling and input and so on while that is happening. No more scrolling off into the middle of nowhere when you alt-tab out -- FINALLY!
Finally!  ;D Is this coming to your other titles in the semi-near future now too? What made the difference?

At some point we'll get that into the others as well, but it's kind of a pain doing all the cross-porting and it's not my top priority when I'm in a schedule crunch working weekends already.  But definitely it will be back-ported when we have a chance.

The difference is that the bug that unity 3D had for a long time with regard to this is now fixed, sometime in the last while, and aside from that we're now using their method properly based on their newer API versions (the advice from their support staff in the past was apparently out of date).  So between that bugfix on their part and me happening to notice a new parameter as an option in their documentation on a random perusal, there was the fix.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 09:58:53 pm »
Yes. I turned it off, fixed the issue.

Okay, cool -- well, now I know how to replicate it and thus fix it with vsync on, anyhow.  Excellent stuff.  I have a feeling I know why this is having a problem with vsync on, and it shouldn't be a big deal to fix if that's all it is.  Whew!  Something for the morning, anyhow.

Offline mooncows

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 09:59:47 pm »
Get some sleep :) Ignore the forum folk for the night ;)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 10:02:59 pm »

Yep, I'm out for a bit. :)

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 10:05:11 pm »

Yep, I'm out for a bit. :)
good night I'm going to bed my self personally.(cause yea know its 3 0 clock at night)
c.r

Offline Gwmngilfen

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 10:14:09 pm »
Looks lovely, the new buildings are *far* less cluttered, and I can confirm the edge-scrolling correctly disables on focus-lost on Linux ;)

Small issue with the research tab - seems like all the numbers (total research required, turns to complete) are missing of each tech. Mantis'd here

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk