Author Topic: Beta 0.872-0.873 now out! (Colonization and Exploration)  (Read 5888 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Beta 0.872-0.873 now out! (Colonization and Exploration)
« on: June 04, 2015, 05:17:19 pm »
New one: http://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Stars_Beyond_Reach_Beta_Phase_2_Release_Notes#Version_0.872

Lots of general fixes in here, and then the tech tree looks really different again.  It's now a lot easier to figure out how to make your cities bigger, and how to explore beyond your tiny early area.  Kind of important stuff!  Anyway, figuring out the organization of that to make it more implicitly obvious is something I prefer to having to tutorialize that bit, so hopefully now it will be pretty quickly obvious to new folks.  Before it was quite obscure, no question.

The new flow for letting you get into attack mode, which was suggested by Shrugging Khan, is in and is pretty darn awesome.

Litter-based crime death spirals should be a thing of the past, at least in the normal cases.  Destroying a couple of dumps that previously would have led to thousands of deaths only led to a few hundred in the test cases I have now.

Races won't all be going gonzo in terms of joining up in incidents so much.

Auto-scouting now fully functions again, which is really nice obviously. ;)  And the text doesn't go crazy on the diseases window anymore, either.

Work continues on the stuff to make buildings clearer and cleaner, and to do the race-specific roads.  It's now set up to the point that it's pretty much an artist-only thing and doesn't require more code on my part.  Overall this has also shaved 400+ MB off of the ram usage of the game without having to do any actual visual changes or extra compression, and it loads up a bit faster at first run, too.

There's other stuff that I wish was already done, but hopefully quite soon.  There has been progress on the design front there, but I still have to figure out the rest on that and then we need to get it implemented between Keith and I.  I'm bouncing between feeling optimistic and like I want to kill myself.  I just have to get over this current hurdle to the point where I can then focus on GUI polish, clarity, tooltips, tutorials, balance, and testing.  Once I'm to that stage of working on things I'll be able to really relax a lot.  We're getting there, but the fact that it's now the 4th of June and we are not there yet bothers me immensely.  All things in time, and that's probably TMI -- bad marketing at the very least -- but I just needed a moment to vent.

Cheers guys, and again thanks for all your help!  This is shaping up amazingly better thanks to you than it would have. :)

UPDATE: http://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Stars_Beyond_Reach_Beta_Phase_2_Release_Notes#Version_0.873

This one has a fix for scouting not working last time unless you had interior ballistics unlocked, and it also has the second of four atmospheric tracks from Pablo.  Overall there will be a total of four atmospheric tracks and four suites, so that's some nice symmetry.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 08:12:51 pm by x4000 »
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
Re: Beta 0.872 now out! (Colonization and Exploration)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 05:43:22 pm »
Okay, a bunch of other changes to the tech tree, getting too bothersome to note them all.

Lol!   :D

So now our patch notes are lacking proper documentation!   ;D
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline kasnavada

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 05:54:08 pm »
I like the changes to the tech tree. Truly, while it's still not possible to expand too early, it's hard to miss "colonization" now.
Also the tech tree does feel much clearer now - a few tech still have "higher" cost in the middle of "lower" cost tech but they're on the same "screen" so it's fine IMO.

Scouting does not seem to work in my save game.
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/view.php?id=17094

Funny thing, in the previous game I got "invaded" (actually they did not target me, I think) by loads of saucers :
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/view.php?id=17093

I'm wondering if it's a "normal" behaviour. Still it's funny to see them all over the place. They do nothing.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 07:24:12 pm »
Well, with the patch notes on that, I don't think anyone would read all that anyway.

I'm glad that the tech tree changes are to your liking, kasnavada -- I'm a lot happier with this, too.  I hadn't realized how unhappy I was with certain parts of it until you made me rethink things there.  Sometimes that's what it takes, is people poking me and I go "oh yeah, I hate that too!  But it didn't register up to my consciousness yet."  So many little things that bother me but not enough to fully consciously be aware.

Thanks on the two bugs, I added those for Keith.

And I did have an epiphany on the diplomacy GUI stuff tonight, so yay!  I'm really excited about hopefully getting that all fixed up.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 07:36:27 pm »
Well, with the patch notes on that, I don't think anyone would read all that anyway.

*raises hand* I do.  Then I try and put the notes to images in the game.  Helps to process things. 
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 07:48:01 pm »

*raises hand* I do.  Then I try and put the notes to images in the game.  Helps to process things.

Ah, gotcha.  Well, normally I will not abridge like that.  But it would have taken me 3x longer to document that particular process because I kept changing things over and over again as I iterated toward what is there now.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 07:56:15 pm »

Ah, gotcha.  Well, normally I will not abridge like that.  But it would have taken me 3x longer to document that particular process because I kept changing things over and over again as I iterated toward what is there now.

No problem.  I probably can't find most of the other changes anyway  ???  I'm looking for where hydro farms went.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 08:11:40 pm »

No problem.  I probably can't find most of the other changes anyway  ???  I'm looking for where hydro farms went.

Hydro farms dun died for now at least.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
Re: Beta 0.872-0.873 now out! (Colonization and Exploration)
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 08:12:56 pm »
UPDATE: http://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Stars_Beyond_Reach_Beta_Phase_2_Release_Notes#Version_0.873

This one has a fix for scouting not working last time unless you had interior ballistics unlocked, and it also has the second of four atmospheric tracks from Pablo.  Overall there will be a total of four atmospheric tracks and four suites, so that's some nice symmetry.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 08:14:26 pm »

um may I ask why hydro farms got removed? 0_0 (unless of course that's just in till you find a place you like more for them in the tech tree)
c.r

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 08:18:26 pm »

um may I ask why hydro farms got removed? 0_0 (unless of course that's just in till you find a place you like more for them in the tech tree)

I'm considering whether or not I want to keep them -- having an "upgraded farm" is not something that interests me, so they need to either have a unique role or be turned into something else.  I'm considering repurposing them.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 08:21:55 pm »
I'm considering whether or not I want to keep them -- having an "upgraded farm" is not something that interests me, so they need to either have a unique role or be turned into something else.  I'm considering repurposing them.

If they aren't coming back the can a buff of farms get thrown in there somewhere?  And I'm guessing adv water wells is looking like it's next?

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 08:34:00 pm »

here's an idea(I cant remember if the rural farms already do this) why take away the hydroponic farms crop reduction and leave its agacencey bonuses?.
c.r

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
Re: Beta 0.872-0.873 now out! (Colonization and Exploration)
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 09:15:16 pm »
They didn't reduce crops anyways, though. They increased them quite a bit more, and blended in well with commercial chem. plants.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 09:16:47 pm by Aklyon »

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2015, 09:19:27 pm »

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNN!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_II:_The_Wrath_of_Khan
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk