Author Topic: Beta 0.854 now out. (Mars and Europa! Memory leaks fixed. Brownouts work.)  (Read 4248 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
New one: http://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Stars_Beyond_Reach_Beta_Release_Notes#Version_0.854

This one really doesn't contain at all what I had intended it to.  Why?

1. I finally figured out where one huge memory leak was coming, in the minimap.  That took a while to fix.

2. I discovered another memory leak in mapgen.  That took a while to fix.

3. I implemented the two new map types, which are important from a "not all our screenshots look the same" sort of standpoint, just from a macro zoomed-out view.  And we have some reasons to be showing around some screenshots as soon as we can.

Tomorrow I'm back on the trail of killing darlings.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 01:31:44 pm by x4000 »
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline jerith

The subject line has the wrong version number in it.

Also, my 4GB of RAM thanks you for the memory leak fixes. <3

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
hu so that's what was causing those memory problems of mine from time to time hopefully that nonsense will stop now.
c.r

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
Fixed the subject line!

And glad that the memory leak stuff was a welcome fix, heh.  It was eating up some RAM bigtime on my machine, too.  I have 24GB, and a goodly 12GB of that were unaccountably used after a few months of not rebooting.  I don't know how much, if any, of that was from this game.  But anyway, much better now either way.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
Fixed the subject line!

And glad that the memory leak stuff was a welcome fix, heh.  It was eating up some RAM bigtime on my machine, too.  I have 24GB, and a goodly 12GB of that were unaccountably used after a few months of not rebooting.  I don't know how much, if any, of that was from this game.  But anyway, much better now either way.

In Lord Helmet's voice...  I see your machine has as much memory as mine..
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
Fixed the subject line!

In Lord Helmet's voice...  I see your machine has as much memory as mine..

Now you see that AIs will always triumph... because humans are dumb.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
okay so just a quick question should the shipbuilding tech(don't know if that's the right name for it but its the tech that lets you build seaports and fisheries) be removed altogether from the mars map? so far there doesn't to be any water of any kind on that map and so having a water tech to research on that map just seems to get in the way?.
c.r

Offline tadrinth

For 0.855's change to give scouting stations a range of 20 tiles, will they show a 'nothing to do' icon when everything in range has been scouted? I'm not aware of anything that creates new fog of war, so once a scout station has fully scouted within its range, it should show up as inactive... and you should probably get a 'you have no active scouts' notification.  You're probably already on top of both of those, though. =)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
okay so just a quick question should the shipbuilding tech(don't know if that's the right name for it but its the tech that lets you build seaports and fisheries) be removed altogether from the mars map? so far there doesn't to be any water of any kind on that map and so having a water tech to research on that map just seems to get in the way?.

Good point.  Will change.

For 0.855's change to give scouting stations a range of 20 tiles, will they show a 'nothing to do' icon when everything in range has been scouted? I'm not aware of anything that creates new fog of war, so once a scout station has fully scouted within its range, it should show up as inactive... and you should probably get a 'you have no active scouts' notification.  You're probably already on top of both of those, though. =)

Actually not -- thanks for the reminder!

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
Just stopping by to say that things start to come together for the citybuilding part for me.
I just started a new game on the Europa map and I have definitely been hopping from  goodie to goodie to make use of all these juicy bonusses!

There almost have been too much of them in my immediate vicinity ;) .
Much more interesting than a few versions ago. Not (yet) great (e.g. terrain could e.g. have a bigger impact - many ground tiles do still feel fairly samey from the gameplay perspective) but definitely better.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 05:50:45 pm by nas1m »
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline SugeBearX

• Newbie Mark II

Lol...glad to see I am not the only one without a supercomputer.  :o

I'm running an Intel Core 2 Quad 2.40 GHz with 4 Gigs of Ram and a Geforce 460...Needless to say The Witcher 3 isn't in my immediate future...  :'( Fortunately SBR has more than restored a smile to my face. :D And yes...I am well known for my gratuitous use of both emoticons and ellipsis...

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie

I'm running an Intel Core 2 Quad 2.40 GHz with 4 Gigs of Ram and a Geforce 460...Needless to say The Witcher 3 isn't in my immediate future...  :'( Fortunately SBR has more than restored a smile to my face. :D And yes...I am well known for my gratuitous use of both emoticons and ellipsis...

Mine was a monster when I built it, it's still powerful now.  Witcher 3 isn't in my future either.
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Eternaly_Lost

Quote from: .855 Change log

The "building count" based crime is still present after all, but it is now 100x weaker until you hit 300 buildings, after which it is 10x weaker from there on (just on the buildings above 300).

First of all, at least for the time being, there is no building count restriction on how many buildings you can have, and as noted previously there is no longer any sort of crime increase as you get more buildings.

I don't know if I count 100x weaker as being no crime increase as you get more buildings. But I guess it possible we looking at something like 1/1000 crime rate per building. So you likely never get any crime from buildings until you cover the entire map.

Offline tadrinth

I think there was going to be no building count => crime interaction but then it got put back in at a reduced level.  Might help to remove the contradictory lines in the patch notes, though, I noticed that too.

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky

Mine was a monster when I built it, it's still powerful now.  Witcher 3 isn't in my future either.
I blew the entirety of my first paycheck out of college on my rig. Since, I've been able to comfortably play any game I choose on max settings. Until the PSU blows out, which has happened twice.  ::)

(Are we going to start comparing rigs?)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk