Author Topic: Beta 0.814 now out.  (Read 3502 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Beta 0.814 now out.
« on: May 06, 2015, 07:58:10 pm »
New version!  http://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Stars_Beyond_Reach_Beta_Release_Notes#Version_0.814

It's not as prodigious in amount of content as some of the others, but that's because of this current diversion in work: http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,17432.0.html

Keep those reports coming, though, they're great and we will be back to them soon (and getting to some of them here and there even as we press through this particular patch of new stuff).

This new version has a much improved city grid, as well as a number of bug and balance fixes that should be useful.

Enjoy!

(Oh, and the usual note: restart steam if you want to force a faster update of the game.)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
Re: Beta 0.814 now out.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 08:25:04 pm »
I'm really loving the progress this game is making.  And everyone is reporting bugs at lightening speed!  It's been a while since I've found one not already mantis'd.  All involved are doing awesome.  :D

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 09:36:14 am »
Thank you!  And yes, this is our most-involved beta crowd ever, by far.  I am just on cloud nine with you guys.  I feel a bit bad for not being able to keep up, but thanks to all of you for understanding and not losing interest.  Thus far there are only 31 out of a total of 114 players added to the beta, and we already have more discussion than TLF got with all 150 players in there.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline MaskityMask

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 05:20:16 pm »
What am i doing wrong? :( Even on zenith run(I declare zenith most awesome because they felt easier to play for some reason) I eventually got into crappy can't do anything situation because of those underground giant worms... How do you combat those? One wiped out my whole city D: I almost recovered from it, then it destroyed my new civic center and when I tried building another new one, this time it counted as new city instead of part of previous one... I guess because I didn't build it next to old buildings...

Also, does the game lack game over state currently? It seems that (I tried on peltians on tiny map on misery for fun) once all buildings are wiped out, population doesn't go to zero even if disease counter is much higher than population

Diseases really ruin the economy huh. I guess I have to get disease control as early as possible to minimize the damage
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 05:22:08 pm by MaskityMask »

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 05:29:52 pm »
yea disease controls really are crucial to handling diseases also I've noticed in peoples reports about their experiences that the gruel elite seem to be really game ending if you spawn any were near them personally to me they seem like a rather late game sort of creature so perhaps linking their attitude to you with planet rage would be a good idea.(example I get planet rage over 500 and they start attacking me just an example really feel free to iterate were you want)
c.r

Offline MaskityMask

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 04:27:56 am »
I don't know anything about late game :( They always seem to spawn eventually(I can't keep planet rage down) and they always spawn a lot after they start spawning, all over the place... And I have no clue what they take damage from

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 09:19:47 am »
I've noticed they seem to take damage from bombers ill be it a rather small amount also on a more amusing note one grul seems to have taken the liberty of destroying the acutions were there city should be is just a wasteland the only reason their still alive is because the grul target the underground. (yay?)
c.r

Offline MaskityMask

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 11:22:06 am »
It'd be nice if you could view(I still haven't found the log so maybe its there <_<; ) what buildings got destroyed... I can't remember what everything worms keep destroying

Are there other monsters than underground worms anyway? <_< I'm wondering since they are "elites", but I haven't seen any other variation... Grials seem to always end all of my games so I'm wondering if they are supposed to be really late game thing.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 11:32:17 am by MaskityMask »

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 12:11:31 pm »
with those kind of stats I 100 percent agree with you also you should probably suggest that to mantis I'm pretty sure the worms aren't meant to be the way they are at the moment and id probably report this to  mantis just for prudence's sake if nothing else. ps I haven't seen any creatures either
c.r

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 04:38:10 pm »
Grials are only supposed to show up if you're doing the "end the world with volcanos" scenario, and literally nothing else.  There are overall 18 types of underground monsters, and 6 types of surface monster, which should be spawning.  It sounds like some logic might be inverted -- a good one for mantis!

Offline tbrass

• Jr. Member Mark II
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 05:01:07 pm »
Grials are only supposed to show up if you're doing the "end the world with volcanos" scenario, and literally nothing else.  There are overall 18 types of underground monsters, and 6 types of surface monster, which should be spawning.  It sounds like some logic might be inverted -- a good one for mantis!

added to mantis, noted that bombers successfully attack 'em.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 05:28:36 pm »
I figured as much also is it intentional that you can only do the Armageddon scenario with the zenith?(last time I heard trying this scenario would continually wreck you as well as everybody else and sort of turn the game into an endless cycle of death and misery)
c.r

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2015, 06:42:53 pm »
It's kind of realistic all things considered. Still wouldn't be much fun as the Boarines though.

Offline MaskityMask

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2015, 07:47:01 pm »
Huh, so I've been having to deal with end game scenario monsters? O-o I've been doing rather well with evucs when considering that XD

But yeah, only grials(and sometimes grials who die in one hit, I guess those are non elites) keep spawning, since someone mantised it I dunno if I need to

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2015, 07:49:09 pm »
Good on the grials since someone mantised it; and I noted it for Keith.

In terms of the end-game volcano path and the other unusual end-game paths, they haven't had more than a rudimentary balance pass, so I'm sure they're all sorts of crazy.  If only the Zenith can do it right now, that's unintentional, but I suppose I could see why.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk