Author Topic: Suggestions from Steam users  (Read 4975 times)

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
Suggestions from Steam users
« on: May 23, 2013, 06:13:10 pm »
Someone on Steam had an idea for the game, so I said I'd post it here for the devs to read. I'll post any other ones I see, too.

From Steam user Ercan.

Hello,

I tried the demo and game is really fun except one thing for me. There is no building count number at the info screens (I am talking about the infos when you move curser to section where you build the buildings). It would be good if you add this counter. For example in the info screen game must tell you have 4 rock building, or 2 iron mines, or 3 bakeries etc... (or maybe you already have iron ore or etc...) It is really annoying not to know you built that building before or not. If you add these number count, we know that we built that building or not before. Thanks.

Edit: I know I didn't explain this well but maybe screenshot will work to explain, I am trying to explain that. :)

http://i.imgur.com/18jR6f4.jpg

I pointed out the hover population hover.

Ah, I didn't see that. Yes, that is what I was talking about, thanks. They should mention that in the tutorial I guess. Also my suggestion is still standing, it would be easy to see the building count in the building info screens like the screenshot that I created. :)

« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 06:15:18 pm by Pepisolo »

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
Re: Suggestions from Steam users
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 07:03:39 pm »
I would second a vote for this too, or just some numbers (red, or blue) in the building types. I'm only in the tutorial but i forget what i built and for who.  :)  Haha, and did i make bread or bacon?

Its probably because of course i'm very new at this, but it would be a marvelous help! 
:)

-Teal

p.s. Thanks Pepisolo!!

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 07:14:50 pm »
If anybody else spots any other interesting suggestions or feedback on steam, post it here.

From steam user The Face of Boe

Interesting game so far, but I noticed that the Oxybele is absolutely devastating.

Simple maths and a little testing:

It has 2000 attack, 8 AP, Range 5.
This means that it can attack 3 times in a single turn with each attack dealing 4 times the damage of each piece of norse artillery and 20 times that of the Trojan Horse.
It can destroy many buildings and most units, and often several if they are already low, in a single turn. It's is also rather cheap for what it does, putting it mildly.

Contrast this with the catapult with its single shot at 500 damage. Even with splash damage, which is a good ability, it pales in comparison.
Actually, all other siege engines and units are lackluster. It can two shot a Light Elf or Valkyrie.

I think I'll stop there.

Some toning down is probably in order. It wrecks everything.

p.s. Thanks Pepisolo!!
No problem!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 07:20:24 pm »
I've got one:

Option for building WOODCUTTER not available in tutorial
No woodcutter option available for building. I'm playing through the tutorial for the first time, and it's telling me to build a woodcutter, but there is NO woodcutter available to build. It won't let me do ANYTHING else until I finish building a woodcutter, but I can't get any further because there IS no woodcutter to build.

The post right under that guy's post explains what needs to be done, so that's good, but yeah, I remember this one confusing me at first as well.   I think there's a couple of descriptions like this in the tutorial that are a little confuzzling, but this is the one I remember as well.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 07:26:50 pm »
I've got one:

Option for building WOODCUTTER not available in tutorial
No woodcutter option available for building. I'm playing through the tutorial for the first time, and it's telling me to build a woodcutter, but there is NO woodcutter available to build. It won't let me do ANYTHING else until I finish building a woodcutter, but I can't get any further because there IS no woodcutter to build.

The post right under that guy's post explains what needs to be done, so that's good, but yeah, I remember this one confusing me at first as well.   I think there's a couple of descriptions like this in the tutorial that are a little confuzzling, but this is the one I remember as well.

Yeah, I've watched a few vids where people get stuck for a little on this. The option really just needs renaming from "Wood" to "Woodcutter". I think that's why some people are getting confused.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 07:48:45 pm »
I've got another one:

(Balance) Oxybele 2000 damage and AP correct? - The attack of the demi-god artillery
Interesting game so far, but I noticed that the Oxybele is absolutely devastating.

Simple maths and a little testing:

It has 2000 attack, 8 AP, Range 5.
This means that it can attack 3 times in a single turn with each attack dealing 4 times the damage of each piece of norse artillery and 20 times that of the Trojan Horse.
It can destroy many buildings and most units, and often several if they are already low, in a single turn. It's is also rather cheap for what it does, putting it mildly.

Contrast this with the catapult with its single shot at 500 damage. Even with splash damage, which is a good ability, it pales in comparison.
Actually, all other siege engines and units are lackluster. It can two shot a Light Elf or Valkyrie.

I think I'll stop there.

Some toning down is probably in order. It wrecks everything.

I explained a bit about the Greek siege units, pointing out that they're SUPPOSED to be stronger than the Norse (and pointing out that the Horse can be even nastier at times!), and explained a couple of things, so hopefully that'll help, but I do agree with this one to a point, based on my own experiences, so that leads to:

http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/view.php?id=11648

Just a small suggestion to change the AP value of the thing's attack from 3 to 4.  A rather mild change that might make it a little more manageable while still being very darn strong.

EDIT:  Wow, so far, as steam comments go.... nothing bad so far, really.   I seem to recall that both Valley games were getting some nasty comments at the start (with people being so divided on those 2 games), but so far this one doesnt have any of that sort.  A little confusion from players on some aspects, but that's it.

And that's a good thing, lol, as I tend to find that the Steam boards for LOTS of games are often filled with "BLARGH ARGH THIS SUCKS" right from the start.  Actually, I cant think of one I've been to that isnt...

Looking good so far though.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 08:09:19 pm by Misery »

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 12:33:02 am »
EDIT:  Wow, so far, as steam comments go.... nothing bad so far, really.   I seem to recall that both Valley games were getting some nasty comments at the start (with people being so divided on those 2 games), but so far this one doesnt have any of that sort.  A little confusion from players on some aspects, but that's it.

And that's a good thing, lol, as I tend to find that the Steam boards for LOTS of games are often filled with "BLARGH ARGH THIS SUCKS" right from the start.  Actually, I cant think of one I've been to that isnt...

Yeah, I was really surprised by this.  Maybe the trolls just haven't found the board yet.

It's also pretty high up the Top Seller's chart.  Probably too early to call it either way, but it seems to be doing pretty well so far!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 12:35:48 am »

Yeah, I was really surprised by this.  Maybe the trolls just haven't found the board yet.

It's also pretty high up the Top Seller's chart.  Probably too early to call it either way, but it seems to be doing pretty well so far!

Oh, the troll types will show up eventually..... with the Steam boards, it's absolutely inevitable.

But I'm thinking that the ratio of trolls VS dissatisfied players will be very different this time around.  As much as I love the Valley games, they didn't agree with everyone and people were very divided about them, but this one.... so far, people seem to be very much enjoying it.   Any really negative topics are probably more likely to be trolls of the "This game isnt in 3D and lacks cutscenes so it sucks!!!111" sorts than problems with the gameplay itself.

That's my thoughts on it anyway.

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 06:46:48 am »

It's not too early to say that, the first few hours have good very very well. :) That's not to say things can't tank, but, what we HAVE seen come in, we're very happy about.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 10:20:44 am »
From Steam user Copper1956

It would also be nice to have some indication what buildings are not working due to missing requirements... Like when Butcher requires Pig Farm and the farm is missing. Roaming with mouse over the map is a bit annoying.

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 11:44:01 pm »
From Steam user Copper1956

It would also be nice to have some indication what buildings are not working due to missing requirements... Like when Butcher requires Pig Farm and the farm is missing. Roaming with mouse over the map is a bit annoying.

I will have to double check this to make sure i am not telling you wrong, but i thought that looking at the build menu on the left side gives the requirements for all the buildings, pieces and tokens, etc....

The mouse over thing also works,
:)
-Teal

Offline iozay

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 05:38:19 am »
From steam user: Trisdino

I love the concept of this game, and for the most part its pretty well executed. The ai is pretty good, the artwork is pretty, and the game itself is deep. But it has one major problem, an exploit. If you wanna win a game, just wall your town in with mountains. 50 turns later some thingy will spawn and destroy your town, but by then you can just place another town at the other side of the map, and before new enemies can spawn, the game is over. It doesent even have to be that extreme, you can just devide the two factions with a huge wall of mountains, and then they will be perfectly safe from each other. This does ruin the game, and i really hope you fix it somehow

Honestly, this will make the town immune to most units. Perhaps an idea to give the barbarians more mountain crossers or to require at least one chokepoint.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 05:41:00 am »
From steam user: Trisdino

I love the concept of this game, and for the most part its pretty well executed. The ai is pretty good, the artwork is pretty, and the game itself is deep. But it has one major problem, an exploit. If you wanna win a game, just wall your town in with mountains. 50 turns later some thingy will spawn and destroy your town, but by then you can just place another town at the other side of the map, and before new enemies can spawn, the game is over. It doesent even have to be that extreme, you can just devide the two factions with a huge wall of mountains, and then they will be perfectly safe from each other. This does ruin the game, and i really hope you fix it somehow

Honestly, this will make the town immune to most units. Perhaps an idea to give the barbarians more mountain crossers or to require at least one chokepoint.

I saw this topic as well, and already answered it.

The mountains thing only works on the lower difficulties.  On "hard" or higher, you're not allowed to place mountains or lakes ever;  they're removed from the land-tile selection.

If you intend to later on play at a higher difficulty like that, it's best to learn to NOT use mountains/lakes too much, and instead find other solutions.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 06:47:36 am »
What Misery said.  There is also a woe that expands all mountain areas, not a good thing for your blocked off town.
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Breach

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 07:12:28 am »
Maybe a bit of code could be put in to the game to detect whether there's any path available to the town. If not, the likelihood of a mountain or lake-related destructive woe (e.g. flood) increases dramatically. Hopefully this might discourage mountain walling behaviour so that users don't come to rely on it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk