Author Topic: Cataclysm (now Woes) ideas  (Read 17042 times)

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
Re: Cataclysm ideas
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 05:24:17 pm »
Atlas Shrugs!  Several tiles are destroyed by a violent earthquake, mostly concentrated around one town center or another.

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2013, 05:44:01 pm »
 For everyone catching on to this thread - remember to read Chris's post on the motivations of a cataclysm (near the end).

The current planned design is that you will be alerted to the actual event before it arrives, so as to allow you to prepare. It is also the largest randomising force in the game aside from losing the ability to choose your minor gods. Btw, when I read the word cataclysm, I imagine some terrible event that will risk you losing the game if you ignore it. ;)

Please also state which round(s) these cataclysms are pitched towards. Chris and Josh have an idea of the Age of Gods ones (like Ragnarok, Rise of the Titans, etc.) and they would like help for Age of Man/Monsters ones to be interesting.

Offline Winge

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2013, 05:55:09 pm »
Volcano:
Immediately replaces a random tile with a Volcano tile.  For the next 5 turns, the volcano does unleashes magma rocks on 10 random tiles within a 5 tile range.  Magma rocks deal 1,500 to any unit or building in the area.  After the effect ends, the Volcano becomes a normal Mountain tile.

Numbers are debatable, of course.  I have a few other ideas, but no more time to flesh them out.  Come back later.
My other bonus ship is a TARDIS.

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2013, 06:16:18 pm »
Blizzard (age of man): A large (number of tiles to be determined) blizzard appears.  All units in the blizzard will slowly lose health due to attrition, have their movement drastically lowered, and village buildings have production halted (or reduced).

Honestly most of the World Map spells in AVWW2 could be ported in with similar effects.

Edit below so I don't have to double post:

Pestilence (age of man, or age of myth maybe): A unit has contracted a horrible disease. Causing it to slowly lose health and/or have reduced attack. Units attacking or defending it have a chance to get infected. Units within X tiles of it have a chance of getting effected.

Grey Outbreak! (or zombie outbreak if you prefer: age of myth/man - might be too strong for age of man): Can simply use existing graphics and mark it or palette swap it.  A new type of "bandit" emerges, if it kills a unit - the unit is revived at reduced health in the same tile, but it becomes a grey as well. I use bandit just to mean hostile to both faction, not sure if its possible to do this as a separate hostile to everything faction or not. Every unit killed comes back with the same property, making it potentially spiral out of control, or easily contained early on.

Incidentally, the possibility of concurrent cataclysms could -really- make things interesting :D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 06:26:18 pm by madcow »

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2013, 06:37:37 pm »
Grey Outbreak! (or zombie outbreak if you prefer)

Tartarus Rising  :)
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2013, 06:39:17 pm »
Grey Outbreak! (or zombie outbreak if you prefer)

Tartarus Rising  :)

Okay, that would be more than theme than calling it zombies or greys ;)

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2013, 06:45:18 pm »
I love Greek mythology (and Roman by default).

Even my nick here is a shortened form of Hyacinth (lover of Apollo and murdered by Zephyr).
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2013, 07:29:16 pm »
Meteor Strike:   The gods are throwing rocks at you!  A large meteor (perhaps even 2 at once) outright destroys a group of tiles in an area about the size of a city.  It cannot select an area that contains a god unit. 

More things that affect/change the landscape like that would be nice, I like that sort of idea.

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2013, 10:39:10 am »
I'd like to develop on the Locust-Swarm type of disaster, but a more planned and persistent verison:

Feast and Famine
- Age of Monsters only. A prophet has declared that e has seen the future of wealth followed by vast poverty. Warns you to prepare for it, and maybe let his people go. ;)
- Affects Your food resources: Rice, Wheat, Pigs, and Sheep (maybe fish, but it doesn't quite fit).
- 4~6 turns of double production, followed by 10~12 turns of zero production with double crime rate or +5% crime rate. Does not affect your food stores. Random number so you can't calculate exact numbers to hit.
- The crime penalty is designed to represent starvation unrest, and will overthrow all of your towns if you hit the famine period without enough food and also do nothing.
- The player can stock up on your food stores/prepare with Cornucopia/plant some food resources.

Locust swarms can be retooled to hit your food stores and production for a short time only (such as 3 turns).

= = =

Dwarven Invasion
 - Age of Man/Age of Monsters (age alters the number of spawn points).
 - ideally should only implement if it's possible to make the hostile to bandits as well. Generic mayhem is good.
 - Several mountain tiles are selected as spawn points for an incoming army. Mark them with a "Dwarven Tunnel" token so they do not get smited. ;) They come for your diamonds, jewellers, moonstones and sunstones, but aren't afraid to sack your towns if they're in the way.
 - When the map has no mountains, spawn a few during the warning period and mark them.
- Copy the Brokkr's portrait if in need of dwarven units. When the act comes, spawn them constantly over 6 turns or so. They are strong melee fighters with bonuses against light infantry, heavy infantry, and buildings. They'll have mountain-walker, naturally. Town they capture may or may not be turned to their faction.
- EDIT: In addition, also spawn a pair of battering rams.
- In terms of fluff, disable Brokkr when the invasion is in effect. He wishes to remain out of the conflict.

- Metagame-wise, this is specifically designed to ruffle up players who use mountains as part of their city defense. If possible slightly increase the odds of picking mountain tiles near player towns, and slightly increase again for picking them next to Greek towns.

= = = = =
 Developing the plague ideas a bit more...
 A Plague! (several variants)
 - Age of Man/Age of Monsters.

- This cataclysm needs to begin in only one faction in order to de-stabilise the game. The choice is random.

- When a plague erupts, ideally inflict several buildings with the plague. Higher probability to pick the largest city. (I think units tend to get killed too quickly especially when players deploy enemy mythological counters.)
 - Each turn after, spread the plague to neighbouring buildings cardinally. An infected trading-post has a chance to infect another trading post. Wells will never be infected.
 - Each unit that step onto these buildings will be infected (80% of the time?). Conversely, each infected unit stepping onto a building can infect the building. Their auto-heal is inverted and multiplied by 5, and each unit they are adjacent to can get infected as well. Up to you when you want to calculate these spreading events.

- Town-centers that are infected have no crime rise, as the criminals are steering clear. :D Infected buildings cease to function.

- (nasty version) If ever all buildings in a city becomes infected, that town is killed off and is turned into empty ruins! Having a well (see above) will always prevent this from happening.

- It would be nice to give the Norse Shotput some auto-heal, but Apollo may have something to say about that too. ;)

- The plague runs its course after 3~7 turns (shorter at age of man so as not to directly wipe out your chances). At which point remove all plague tokens. It is possible for a melee unit to infect his enemy faction, but the effect will inevitably be less.

- To combat this, players should prepare additional towns to compensate, and spread them out a little more. One *should* expect to lose a town or two to this cataclysm.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 05:45:30 am by zharmad »

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2013, 10:56:27 am »
I like the idea of the dwarven one.   Would make the world seem like it's not JUST populated by the red guys, the blue guys, and the yellow maniacs, and associated magical monsters.

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2013, 11:02:43 am »
Damn, the more I think about it, the more I'm certain that in order to force a loss - more cataclysms need to permanently destroy towns.

Once you get into round 3 and 8 towns a side, it can be statistically very difficult to lose since many of these will be hanging off the edge with choke-points that can be well guarded.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 11:15:56 am by zharmad »

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2013, 11:07:46 am »
Damn, the more I think about it, the more I'm certain that in order to force a loss - more cataclysms need to permanently destroy towns.

Once you get into round 3 and 8 towns a side, it can be statistically very difficult to lose since many of these will be hanging off the edge with choke-points that can be well guarded.

Yep, my thoughts exactly.   Groups of Siege units can smash things up pretty hard, but aside from that, fully defeating an entire player-designed city.... with defenses and all, and the inevitable chokepoints that most resource cities will be built off of.... is probably going to be a tough thing.   Though, I of course say that not really knowing exactly what impact ANY of the cataclysms will have.  They may be stronger than I'm thinking they are, able to do big damage like that.

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2013, 11:16:18 am »
 In this sense...
Meteor Strike:   The gods are throwing rocks at you!  A large meteor (perhaps even 2 at once) outright destroys a group of tiles in an area about the size of a city.  It cannot select an area that contains a god unit. 

Your meteor strike is a very good method. :D  However, we may need a few more rocks and a method to placate the other jealous Creators. I suggest..
Meteor Shower
- Age of Monsters/Age of Gods calamity.
- Other Creators have spotted your thriving towns and are quite jealous... Collision Alert!

- They have banded together and are threatening to pitch large rocks at your island. When they impact, will knock out 3x3 tile areas or slightly bigger at 3/5/5/5/3. If your God is in town, they will protect it, but just within that town radius.

- I'm not sure about this option, but you may try to placate them with plenty of incense or moonstone... ;) An additional trade option opens with incense and moonstone. For 150 incense or 30 moonstone, you will bribe a rival Creator and convince him/her/it to back down. Alternatively, an additional token is available and can be build with sunstones. Placement of this token will protect that 5x5 area should a rock come flying in.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2013, 12:01:59 pm »
In this sense...

Your meteor strike is a very good method. :D  However, we may need a few more rocks and a method to placate the other jealous Creators. I suggest..
Meteor Shower
- Age of Monsters/Age of Gods calamity.
- Other Creators have spotted your thriving towns and are quite jealous... Collision Alert!

- They have banded together and are threatening to pitch large rocks at your island. When they impact, will knock out 3x3 tile areas or slightly bigger at 3/5/5/5/3. If your God is in town, they will protect it, but just within that town radius.

- I'm not sure about this option, but you may try to placate them with plenty of incense or moonstone... ;) An additional trade option opens with incense and moonstone. For 150 incense or 30 moonstone, you will bribe a rival Creator and convince him/her/it to back down. Alternatively, an additional token is available and can be build with sunstones. Placement of this token will protect that 5x5 area should a rock come flying in.

Wow.  Those are expensive bribes.  I dont think I've ever even seen 30 moonstone in one place yet!   

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2013, 02:58:49 pm »
Oh. Yeah, those numbers are expected to come down. I ended up with about 50 moonstones due to spamming bugged Cornucopia and 8 trading posts - which won't last. However,  I'm expecting to expend something like two god-token's worth of stones to grant protection or avoidance. Not sure how to convert incense to that comparison.

The general idea being that if a god power is available and suitable you'd want to use that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk