Author Topic: Shattered Haven Beta 0.807 "I Can't Feel My Fingers!" Released!  (Read 2089 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Original: http://arcengames.blogspot.com/2013/03/shattered-haven-beta-0807-i-cant-feel.html

This one is the first of two releases for today.  It includes one critical bugfix where you couldn't always pick up items correctly in the last version, which is the main reason this was pushed out.  But it also has other bugfixes and tweaks, a new cutscene, and four new music tracks.  Also improvements to how well the grays are stunned by being shot with small caliber bullets.

Enjoy!

This is a standard update that you can download through the  in-game updater itself, if you already have any version of the game.  When you  launch the game, hit the big "Play" button and then you'll see the notice of the update having been found if you're connected to the Internet at the time.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
Re: Shattered Haven Beta 0.807 "I Can't Feel My Fingers!" Released!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 02:36:27 pm »
I could grab another hour with .807. Here's wot I think (; )).

1)
The sliding around corners logic is indeed much improved.
I had no issues whatsoever with positioning in front of items with the new version.

2)
The invulnerability of NPC player 2 is a real game changer to me.
This just feels so much better!

The only issue I noticed when revisiting Stantonsburg is that NPC player 2 is still targeted by Grays, which can lead to fairly absurd situations like three New Grays storming over to kill NPC player 2 many times over (and failing) while leaving player 1 completely alone. Just thought I should mention it...

3)
The improved handgun also feels much better. No unescapable corners for me so far.
The "blinking solution" was a nice new take to solve my issue, good work!
Although I still think kicking Grays into chasms using the handgun via knockback to dispose them would have been fun ; )...

4)
I know you already reduced the speed of player 1 on the Overworld map, but I think the speed might still be a bit on the far side. The speed available in levels would be totally sufficient to me. I noticed this while playing some more constrained/narrow areas like the Sewers or Ivanwood Marches - I constantly "overshot" my positioning here, dumping me headfirst into deep water (which is just a minor annoyance as it deals no damage). Sure there is the (incredible) "walk" button, but walking all the time in such areas stops being fun after some time as well. Again, no complaint here - just a random bit of feedback.

5)
I reached the Ivanwood Marches for the first time today and noticed that they are fairly - empty. I encountered not a single Gray or animal so far. Is this intended?

6)
The new inventory screen is really cool as well. The only thing that seems a little weird to me is the location of the more basic items available in the first few Overworld areas. They are all located in the lower rows while the first row is completely empty. To me, putting basic, heavily used items into row 1 would reduce the number of movements necessary to select an item significantly. Just a question before we build our muscle memory...

As a sidenote: The fact that button assignments keep to appear for empty (but probably previously filled slots) might confise some people i think. Any chance to keep the image of an item (e.g. with a zero count) in the inventory after the item has been found but all instances have been consumed? This would remove a great deal of the potential for confusion I think... 

Looking forward to 1.0!
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 02:53:18 pm »
Regarding #4, I'm curious what others think.  I could see doing that, but I don't want to make the overworld traversale a chore.

Regarding #5, yes that's intended.  There's a number of... surprises. ;)  Remember, grays can't be out in the rain except new grays, and there's no reason new grays would be in the swamp.

Regarding #6, row 1 is weapons, row 2 is tools.  In terms of the button assignments, that's been what was requested and I think that makes sense.  Regarding the slots that are empty showing with a zero and red, that tends to start looking like a circus.  If you've ever had that sort of tool since loading the level that's what it does, but cross level loads I don't think that's really warranted.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline PattyG

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 03:53:10 pm »
I agree with point 4, I think the overworld speed is still slightly too fast and would like to see it turned down a bit.

On a side note is walking really needed for any mission because I haven't used it at all during my plays. I play with a controller mostly and walk is mapped to "1-Analog 1 Click" which I find difficult to press and perform fine movements without releasing it accidentally and running off an edge. I can't map it to another button because they are all taken now that item are mapped to 4 buttons. If walking is necessary for missions I think that when using a controller it should be toggleable.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 04:12:23 pm »
I could definitely make that toggle-able, sure.  That might be easier in general.  I don't personally think it's needed for any levels, and I don't use it much at all except very very occasionally on the overworld when the speed is too fast.

PattyG, are you thinking that the overworld should be the same as the in-level speed, or just something between the in-level speed and what it is now?

Offline PattyG

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 04:26:18 pm »
I would be happy with the in-level speed when in the overworld, that way the movement speed is consistent throughout the game.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 04:26:58 pm »
And actually that does make a lot of sense.  Both of your are saying the same thing, then.  I think that's worth doing and then seeing if anyone feels like it is too slow suddenly.

Offline Oralordos

• Sr. Member Mark III
  • Suffering from Chronic Backstabbing Disorder
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 04:29:16 pm »
I haven't played since the first speed down, but I remember thinking that the inconsistent speed was odd. It would make sense to have the speed be consistent.

Offline PattyG

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 04:30:07 pm »
That sounds good, I'll wait to see how it feels in game.

Offline Penumbra

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 05:28:00 pm »
I think if you made the "walk" button a "run" button, it would change the preconception. Instead of "why am I running so fast" it would instead let you when you hold/toggle the ability. Like FF6!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 06:07:17 pm »
That actually used to be the case (circa 2008) with shattered haven. The problem is, the times when you want to walk are very few and far between (zombies, right?); and even in ff6 you could choose a setting that made sprint boots default to on, which I know I used. With keyboards, many can only register three keys at once, so holding two directions (if you're moving diagonally) plus run plus attack would not register the attack!

Lastly it changes he balance if you don't know to run. If you walk and the grays are inexplicably fast and you die, that's bad. That used to happen a lot (circa summer 2008, when Lars was giving me much feedback). On the other hand if you are balances for walking against the grays, but you have essentially a turbo button, suddenly they go from menacing to a joke. That also happened around that time. I had tried doing stuff like he boots in Zelda 3 or sprinting in secret of mana, but none of that panned out. Ultimately the current design was arrives at, and then when the overworlds got really large we started having that be faster movement than the levels. I think that last one was one bridge too far.

Offline Penumbra

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 06:19:59 pm »
Well, I wasn't suggesting that the "run" button work in an actual level, just the overworld. Anywhere the current "increased run speed" worked.

Then, I guess just make an option toggle to make the default either walk or run. Or, like in modern FPS games with the "Left Stick in to run" feature, it's a toggle instead of a holding modifier.

I know I've run into my share of fauna when exiting a level, not adjusting for my speed. However, I've also spent my share of time looking for that one extra level (it has to be somewhere ;)) and the extra run speed is much appreciated. It's only the transition that is disconcerting.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 06:51:18 pm »
Hmm, those are really good points.  I'll look at that.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk