Author Topic: When fan made trailers are done right... (SMITE)  (Read 2523 times)

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
When fan made trailers are done right... (SMITE)
« on: December 13, 2014, 02:20:39 pm »
I can't really say much more than that this guy just NAILED it. He used the ending credits for Captain America as inspiration and made a trailer for SMITE. Pretty darn epic.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: When fan made trailers are done right... (SMITE)
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 08:25:16 pm »
It's pretty epic indeed, but it seems like the sort of thing to appeal to existing fans, not convert new ones.  I don't know much about the game other than it's a MOBA, and all that really gave me was cool visuals and the names of a variety of characters.

Don't get me wrong, it was epic.  But it seems like something that would make for a great intro movie for the game, or end credits, or something like that.  It reminds me of a James Bond intro in some ways: they aren't trying to sell the idea of the game to you, they're trying to entertain you for a moment with something awesome now that you've already bought in.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 09:52:24 pm »
I'm not even sure what I'm looking at with this one to be honest.... doesnt seem much like a game trailer at all.  Had I seen this without knowing what Smite was.... I probably wouldnt be knowing what Smite was anytime soon.  ....or caring, as game trailers without actual gameplay footage tend to bother me just a bit.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 11:41:16 pm »
I definitely would consider this a fan trailer.

I spent my time thinking "Which mythology did this character come from?"...I would *guess* its for a game, but I would never tell you which game it was.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 12:04:09 am »

Don't get me wrong, it was epic.  But it seems like something that would make for a great intro movie for the game, or end credits, or something like that.  It reminds me of a James Bond intro in some ways: they aren't trying to sell the idea of the game to you, they're trying to entertain you for a moment with something awesome now that you've already bought in.

You got me to watch that youtube clip with all the bond intros. Well done!

Now that I watched all of them, I realize why the bond vets view the "new" movies with...less then enthusiasm. The new ones are just different, and that's just from looking at the introductions!
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 05:49:07 am »
It's pretty epic indeed, but it seems like the sort of thing to appeal to existing fans, not convert new ones.  I don't know much about the game other than it's a MOBA, and all that really gave me was cool visuals and the names of a variety of characters.

Correct. Hence the "fan made" thingy. I sincerely doubt his intention was to draw more people to Smite, but simply to do something fun for the game he loves, I guess.

Though to completely honest I must say that way too many trailers of today are just like this. Flashy visuals and not a hella lot of info on what the balls the game/movie is about. :/
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk