Author Topic: STEAM SUMMER SALE 2015  (Read 11094 times)

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: STEAM SUMMER SALE 2015
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2015, 10:41:31 am »
Ah, yes, it's the "buy things entirely at random for no particular reason and then forget what they are and buy more stuff" sale.
I haven't done that since the first one I was in.

My problem is that I have like, no impulse control. And there's not really anything preventing me from buying, so it's like, look at the store, and "What the heck is this thing?" and then it's bought.  I do this even without the sales on.  A sale going just makes it worse.

On a side note Paranautical turned out to be rather bleh.  Very much like Ziggurat except not nearly as good. I may or may not have bought something else too, cant remember.

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2015, 12:05:33 pm »
Ah, yes, it's the "buy things entirely at random for no particular reason and then forget what they are and buy more stuff" sale.

My problem is that I have like, no impulse control. And there's not really anything preventing me from buying, so it's like, look at the store, and "What the heck is this thing?" and then it's bought.  I do this even without the sales on.  A sale going just makes it worse.

On a side note Paranautical turned out to be rather bleh.  Very much like Ziggurat except not nearly as good. I may or may not have bought something else too, cant remember.

You have made being rich and having no impulse control sound like a personal tragedy.

Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2015, 12:14:15 pm »
Paranautical is rubiish. I bought it while it was in Early Access and it didn't change much from back then.
And the developers had some hostory.
Game removed from Steam because of death threats of the lead developer. Lead developer leaves developing team in hope it gets back on Steam. Does not get back, developer come back to his team. Game eventually gets back on Steam after the tide has calmed down.
And before that major encounter there have been other as well where the developers insult players that say they didn't like some features of the game.
Initially the game was developed around having random weapons at the start of each game but someone has poitned out it would the ridiculous hard game even more ridiculous and is just a simple flaw in the concept of the game. You are more or less depending on what weapon you get and have to restart if you got the wrong one.
They told him he ist just really really bad in the game, insulted him with some more, said he has absolutely no idea what a good games is and that he has no idea how to make games and so on. In the end they still removed random weapons but hey, as log as you can insult someone, do it.
Did I meantion that they didn't offer another version of the game for their customers when the game got removed from Steam? Of you bought on Steam, bad luck, your game was now gone.
Oh, and also, they didn't even had a real website for a looong time. All they had was some blog thing with information where to get the game, some basic information and a trailer that was some guy walking around some scenery in real life. No gameplay footage whatsoever.
They added a gameplay trailer later but man, they don't really know how to handle developments processes. Ugh, I rarely saw such bad developers in my life.

Sunless sea ist one of my favorites. Mostly because I also love Fallen London. But as people stated, its mostly about the story and writing, not about the gameplay itself. It has some major gameplay aspects in it like trading, traveling, fighting, but it comes rather short in comparision with the writing points. It has however some really really good story aspects and since interactove stories are a thing on Steam, why not purchasing this one? If you can bear with sone long travel times that is...

And curses, Darkest Dungeons got on Sale. I purchased it only around a week ago! I could have saved around 4 €. Well, aynway, worth the price and the 4 bucks isn't worth to fight over. In the end, the developers got more money this way and I'm sure they will make good use of it. It's just ironic that the Darkest Dungeon is not even in the game, lol.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2015, 03:27:33 am »
Developers can't remove a game from your library (nor from steam for what matter). All developers can do is HIDE a game, they can NOT remove a game. Once it has ever been available for sale it is there, forever. In your library.
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline Dominus Arbitrationis

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2015, 03:37:20 am »
Developers can't remove a game from your library (nor from steam for what matter). All developers can do is HIDE a game, they can NOT remove a game. Once it has ever been available for sale it is there, forever. In your library.

Actually, Steam developers can revoke keys if needed. Its a painful process, since Steam highly frowns upon it, and you need each individual key, but it is possible. Whether that's legal to do... Probably not. But who knows; laws can be really strange sometimes.
Come help out at the Wiki!

Have ideas or bug reports for one of Arcen's games or any part of the site? Use  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games and site better!

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2015, 04:53:38 am »
Yeah but TheVampire100 described something where a dev can not do that legally. At least not to my legal understanding. Steam would have to refund you 100% + interest if it removed a game that you bought legally. Anything else would actually be theft .. no?

(assuming you bought on Steam)

From what I hear, if you abuse this as dev, you are likely going to be on some blacklist.

I am half tempted to ask you to revoke my AI war key so we can this theory
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline Toranth

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2015, 08:52:12 am »
Yeah but TheVampire100 described something where a dev can not do that legally. At least not to my legal understanding. Steam would have to refund you 100% + interest if it removed a game that you bought legally. Anything else would actually be theft .. no?
If I remember that little scandal correctly, Steam chose to remove the game because the lead developer was caught making death threats against GabeN.  I don't think existing players lost access to the game, it was just that no one was allowed to purchase new copies.

As for criminal, well, depends on the locality.  I'm given to understand that in the EU, digital products are treated like real ones and what you suggest is close to correct - removing the game from a player's library would require compensation, or be forbidden.  But in the US, Steam has a EULA that gives them complete and utter control over your account and everything in it.  I don't think it's ever been seriously tested, but the whole "it's just a license" thing has worked in many other places.

Back to the topic:
Current 6 games and $40 down.  So much for self control  :-[

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2015, 11:08:21 am »
Legend of Grimrock 1 is a STELLAR puzzledungeon. Legend of Grimrock 2 is a terrible puzzledungeon filled with cheap instant-death traps and way too easy puzzle and way too much annoying combat. Even if you liked the first, stay away from the sequel. It's BAD.
How did they screw up the sequel like that if what they made worked so well the first time?
By adding more combat, instant death traps and really freaking annoying boss fights everywhere.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Y PzKpfw Tiger!
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2015, 11:16:52 am »
0 games, 0 monies spent.

I was briefly tempted by Spintires, but the prospect of paying real money for something that would essentially be a thirty-minute novelty...
The beatings shall continue
until morale improves!

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2015, 11:33:11 am »
Legend of Grimrock 1 is a STELLAR puzzledungeon. Legend of Grimrock 2 is a terrible puzzledungeon filled with cheap instant-death traps and way too easy puzzle and way too much annoying combat. Even if you liked the first, stay away from the sequel. It's BAD.
How did they screw up the sequel like that if what they made worked so well the first time?
By adding more combat, instant death traps and really freaking annoying boss fights everywhere.

What...  :o you didn't like the mushroom room of infinitely spawning poisonous mushrooms? No hotkeys for anything, click everything manually in real-time, always the same mage spell click fest, against enemies from 3 directions requiring a keyboard-cat dance and constant poison threat with barely any anti-poison at that point??

^^

Grimrock 2 isn't a puzzle dungeon, it's a mouse based quicktime event (imo)

So far haven't bought anything either in that steam sale.. waiting for some games to come up.. and if they don't.. well more monies for next time.

1 thing I do plan on getting from Steam, is Steamlink + Steam Controller though... I found a VERY neat way to get this to work like this -> (though not yet sure how the steam link hardware and the steam controller itself work together)

Client sees Steam in Big-Browse window, there is a external game I added basically a dummy game called "Steam In Home Streaming Remote Desktop" added as Steam App. When I click Stream on client PC, this exe brings me straight to my desktop with a taskbar icon to close it (and the stream), giving me a full desktop view with 7ms latency (if you ever used anything like remote desktop or VNC, you know what a WORLD of difference this is)

Also now you may realize what awesome OTHER uses this opens up. Yes, you can stream web-browser via steam-link ! You can stream your high-end video player, access your gaming rig from your TV etc. Steamlink essentially doubles as the most advanced HTPC ever made using your gaming rig as base. But instead of a fancy HTPC doing anything, steam link is just a client for your gaming rig streaming everything.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 11:43:57 am by eRe4s3r »

Offline Castruccio

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2015, 12:18:24 pm »
Invisible, Inc. is amazing and people should buy it. 

Offline kasnavada

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2015, 01:24:57 pm »

Also now you may realize what awesome OTHER uses this opens up. Yes, you can stream web-browser via steam-link ! You can stream your high-end video player, access your gaming rig from your TV etc. Steamlink essentially doubles as the most advanced HTPC ever made using your gaming rig as base. But instead of a fancy HTPC doing anything, steam link is just a client for your gaming rig streaming everything.

I did that with placing my TV next to my PC, then by using a wireless keyboard and a wireless mouse, for about 10 years now ;D.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2015, 12:04:18 am »

I did that with placing my TV next to my PC, then by using a wireless keyboard and a wireless mouse, for about 10 years now ;D.

Yeah, but that solution quickly evaporates once you stop living alone ;P

And streaming like this also allows you to access your gaming rig (And steam library) from every floor and every other PC in the house. Anyhow, for me putting my "heating rig" in front of my TV was not ever a solution. As I play games where i need proper ergonomics with KB Mouse, wheel, throttle, pedals and joystick, I also work on my PC aside ;p

But I also want to have the option to play games on the TV with controller. And until steam link, there was never really a good solution for this. Nvidia Shield doesn't have a low power client unit that interlinks with TV but also decodes a PROPER h.264 stream in near real-time (sub 7ms for Steam Stream is amazing and makes it even viable, maybe later, for VR streaming).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 12:10:22 am by eRe4s3r »

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2015, 06:33:04 am »

You have made being rich and having no impulse control sound like a personal tragedy.

I can make anything sound like a personal tragedy.  Or just a tragedy in general.  Negativity is a skill of mine, albeit not a very useful one. 

Paranautical is rubiish. I bought it while it was in Early Access and it didn't change much from back then.
And the developers had some hostory.
Game removed from Steam because of death threats of the lead developer. Lead developer leaves developing team in hope it gets back on Steam. Does not get back, developer come back to his team. Game eventually gets back on Steam after the tide has calmed down.
And before that major encounter there have been other as well where the developers insult players that say they didn't like some features of the game.
Initially the game was developed around having random weapons at the start of each game but someone has poitned out it would the ridiculous hard game even more ridiculous and is just a simple flaw in the concept of the game. You are more or less depending on what weapon you get and have to restart if you got the wrong one.
They told him he ist just really really bad in the game, insulted him with some more, said he has absolutely no idea what a good games is and that he has no idea how to make games and so on. In the end they still removed random weapons but hey, as log as you can insult someone, do it.
Did I meantion that they didn't offer another version of the game for their customers when the game got removed from Steam? Of you bought on Steam, bad luck, your game was now gone.
Oh, and also, they didn't even had a real website for a looong time. All they had was some blog thing with information where to get the game, some basic information and a trailer that was some guy walking around some scenery in real life. No gameplay footage whatsoever.
They added a gameplay trailer later but man, they don't really know how to handle developments processes. Ugh, I rarely saw such bad developers in my life.

Sunless sea ist one of my favorites. Mostly because I also love Fallen London. But as people stated, its mostly about the story and writing, not about the gameplay itself. It has some major gameplay aspects in it like trading, traveling, fighting, but it comes rather short in comparision with the writing points. It has however some really really good story aspects and since interactove stories are a thing on Steam, why not purchasing this one? If you can bear with sone long travel times that is...

And curses, Darkest Dungeons got on Sale. I purchased it only around a week ago! I could have saved around 4 €. Well, aynway, worth the price and the 4 bucks isn't worth to fight over. In the end, the developers got more money this way and I'm sure they will make good use of it. It's just ironic that the Darkest Dungeon is not even in the game, lol.

Yeeeaaahhhhh, I found alot of that out about Paranautical AFTER the fact.  Just... ugh.  Bloody amazing, all of the stupid that surrounds that one. 

And yes Darkest Dungeon is quite good, isnt it?  And infuriating at times.  But quite good indeed.

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Y PzKpfw Tiger!
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2015, 08:24:31 am »
I kinda bumped off of Darkest Dungeon. The gameplay just seemed somewhat shallow and repetitive, the theme and narration were just a little bit too much, and I generally had the impression that it wasn't much beyond a prettied-up flash browser game.
The beatings shall continue
until morale improves!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk