Author Topic: STEAM SUMMER SALE 2015  (Read 11095 times)

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
Re: STEAM SUMMER SALE 2015
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2015, 09:27:49 am »
Legend of Grimrock 1 is a STELLAR puzzledungeon. Legend of Grimrock 2 is a terrible puzzledungeon filled with cheap instant-death traps and way too easy puzzle and way too much annoying combat. Even if you liked the first, stay away from the sequel. It's BAD.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 09:41:41 am »
Legend of Grimrock 1 is a STELLAR puzzledungeon. Legend of Grimrock 2 is a terrible puzzledungeon filled with cheap instant-death traps and way too easy puzzle and way too much annoying combat. Even if you liked the first, stay away from the sequel. It's BAD.
How did they screw up the sequel like that if what they made worked so well the first time?

Offline kasnavada

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2015, 01:17:11 pm »
I'm hoping for good sales on Sunless Sea and Endless Legend, too.  Neither game is new, but both seem like good plays.
Also - Divinity: Original Sin, Drox Operative, Dominions 4, Grimrock 2, Pilliars of Eternity... I've actually got quite a bit on my wishlist.

Sunless sea is quite good, sadly lacks replayability. But it requires restarting. Which does not make much sense to me in term of design. Still, finding about the places and the history of the game took me a lot of really fun hours. I know the first stories by heart now.

Endless legend is an excellent game - I'm waiting to see if there is a larger discount on the expansion soon.

About the other ones, the only one I know is Dominions 4... which would have 25/10 in amount of content and 3/10 in UI, graphics, sounds, 1/10 in single player, and so on. There are large parts of the game where the devs just didn't work on.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 01:19:00 pm by kasnavada »

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Y PzKpfw Tiger!
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2015, 01:51:15 pm »
> Endless Whatever
I will spit fire and bile at anyone who calls that a good game.
Endless legend is an excellent game.
Making an exception for you since we have pretty much diametrically opposed taste.
The beatings shall continue
until morale improves!

Offline kasnavada

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2015, 02:01:02 pm »
;D

Also I try to make the difference between what I don't like and what is good. Often fails though.  :o

Dragon ages Origin for example. I got to recognize they made the story deep, the graphics are great, the flow of the game is very nice. Yet all I could think while playing that was, at each (FREQUENT) cut scene : "Raaahhhh NOOOO AGAAAAIIIN  ANOTHER SOB STOORRRRYYYY". I don't care for that much story.

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2015, 02:38:49 pm »
Sunless Sea's writing is the same pretty good writing thats makes up Fallen London, but with some actual game around it this time instead of some sort of browser point-and-read thing.

Sunless Sea is like Fallen London, except you move around in a boat boringly for long periods of time between all the text stuff (which is the meat of it).

It needs a fricken fast forward button.

Offline Toranth

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2015, 03:50:32 pm »
> Endless Whatever
I will spit fire and bile at anyone who calls that a good game.
Endless legend is an excellent game.
Making an exception for you since we have pretty much diametrically opposed taste.
Do you dislike Endless Legend specifically, or were you another person suckered in by the POS that was Endless Space?

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2015, 06:34:43 pm »
I was indeed suckered by Endless Space. Thoroughly. My distrust and disgust of those devs and their fanbase is non-negotiable.

When EL came out, I pirated it. No way would I pay money for it; but since it garnered obscene amounts of praise, I just had to take a look. It was RPS's game of the year! For f0ck's sake!
Well, turns out it was more of the same. "THEY REDEFINED THE GENRE!", the shout were heard. And as it turned out, it was just the same old with some gimmicks slapped on and half the game just plain missing. Much like Endless Space, in that sense. Let the visuals pull some wool, the press will go crazy anyways because nowadays games reporters review games for a full total of 50 minutes before they proclaim them the best thing ever. And people believe, and oh group dynamics, and suddenly it's a hype with thousands of true believers backing it.

Supposedly Endless Dungeon is rather good.
It could be 6 hours of watching a constipated goat defecate, for all that I care.
until morale improves!

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2015, 07:26:20 pm »
I was indeed suckered by Endless Space. Thoroughly. My distrust and disgust of those devs and their fanbase is non-negotiable.

When EL came out, I pirated it. No way would I pay money for it; but since it garnered obscene amounts of praise, I just had to take a look. It was RPS's game of the year! For f0ck's sake!
Well, turns out it was more of the same. "THEY REDEFINED THE GENRE!", the shout were heard. And as it turned out, it was just the same old with some gimmicks slapped on and half the game just plain missing. Much like Endless Space, in that sense. Let the visuals pull some wool, the press will go crazy anyways because nowadays games reporters review games for a full total of 50 minutes before they proclaim them the best thing ever. And people believe, and oh group dynamics, and suddenly it's a hype with thousands of true believers backing it.

Supposedly Endless Dungeon is rather good.
It could be 6 hours of watching a constipated goat defecate, for all that I care.

I like endless space and endless legend. It's hard to get a game going with endless space, however, because it's a little bit slow in the beginning. Both games require some amount of time investment, and it may be that your enjoyment doesn't match that.

So far, I have picked up creeper world 3, darkest dungeon, and child of light. Looking forward to playing.

Also, I have to recommends pillars of eternity. I have about 60 hours in a game. It's the kind of game where there is a skill level to the game that increases the more you play, and there are a ton of different items and equipment to be found (sometimes, from the most unassuming merchant; keep your eyes peeled and dig through those inventories!). There are countless ways to approach battles, avoid battles, and optional situations. The feeling of exploration and being involved in the world is like no other I have had in a long time. You can't go wrong getting this game. It's worth every penny. 10/10
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2015, 08:37:16 pm »
I didn't care for Pillars of Eternity. I wanted to like it a lot more than I did. I'm generally pretty good at RPGs, but the combat in that one seemed too finicky and chaotic to me. I felt like I was simply saving/reloading each battle and hoping for a good result because there was WAY too much variance in the combat outcomes. It almost seemed like it was designed only for the powerlevel/munchkin/min-maxers and not those just trying to make fun roleplaying characters.

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2015, 09:49:51 pm »
I didn't care for Pillars of Eternity. I wanted to like it a lot more than I did. I'm generally pretty good at RPGs, but the combat in that one seemed too finicky and chaotic to me. I felt like I was simply saving/reloading each battle and hoping for a good result because there was WAY too much variance in the combat outcomes. It almost seemed like it was designed only for the powerlevel/munchkin/min-maxers and not those just trying to make fun roleplaying characters.

Did you get out of the starting area? I don't think you are doing this correctly. The role-playing opportunities are quite extensive, with each race and your statistical development affecting the story, what you are able to know, and how the scenarios play out.

I'm not doing statistical maxing at all. Actually, most of my battles are based out of really clever exploitation of the environment, and the class battle systems. The encounters are not random success or failure based on bad dice rolls, such as blackguards game can be. It's a skill game.
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2015, 12:43:51 am »
Ah, yes, it's the "buy things entirely at random for no particular reason and then forget what they are and buy more stuff" sale.

I probably shouldnt even look at it too much.  I clicked on the store page just now and after about 30 seconds of clicking had a copy of Paranautical Activity.  Not for any actual reason, just because it's there.  I didn't even look at the price, which is the norm for me.  It's like, "Hey, stuff!" and then I click to buy whatever it is.

Cant really think of anything specific that I'm after.... the main thing I'm waiting for, which is Binding of Isaac Rebirth's expansion, isnt out yet.

May as well give this one that I just bought a go though.

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2015, 03:38:51 am »
I like endless space and endless legend. It's hard to get a game going with endless space, however, because it's a little bit slow in the beginning. Both games require some amount of time investment, and it may be that your enjoyment doesn't match that.

Friend, you've got me the wrong way round. I'm a stubborn person, especially once I've invested. And as for Endless Space, invested I have. Thousands of turns, dozens of hours, many, many games played. I paid MONEY for Endless Space, so of course I'd try everything to get something back from it. But there was nothing to take from it. It's a hollow thing, all gloss and shiny effects with nothing behind them. I don't know what you found there; must be that we're different types.
until morale improves!

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2015, 03:41:32 am »
I haven't bought a single thing yet.. but I was side-tracked by a certain kickstarter

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night

And turned out backing this for 28$ or 25€ and a few cents... ;)

So with that I already maxed out my allotted money for this steam sale.. blimey. (I have plenty of store credit left from selling trade cards though, still waiting for a good sale ,p)
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2015, 08:17:08 am »
Ah, yes, it's the "buy things entirely at random for no particular reason and then forget what they are and buy more stuff" sale.
I haven't done that since the first one I was in. Got valkyria chronicles (so I can finish it on pc instead of waiting on the bigger tv), homeworld collection (because I'd wanted to try it for awhile), and hitman collection (same). Roughly 30 bucks total, unless the Dawn of War I collection gets a better discount or paradox for mysterious reasons adds the new euiv expansion to the sale.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk