Author Topic: Steam's latest Site Update?  (Read 2785 times)

Offline Sounds

• Full Member Mark II
Steam's latest Site Update?
« on: November 08, 2016, 11:58:32 pm »
Just curious whether anyone else has had a look at Steam's latest site changes?

I can't see the update anything but making it even harder to find titles of interest.

Not sure what they are thinking, as I can't see myself wanting to trawl through so many very dated recommendations.

I guess impulse buying is a thing of the past. The way it stands now, too much junk upfront is a real disincentive.

Any thoughts?

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
Re: Steam's latest Site Update?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 11:59:16 pm »
Its better than youtube's obvious-beta of a new design.

Offline kasnavada

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 02:13:22 am »
The "outdated recommendation showing part" is at least 2 month old... I started for example to receive Dominions 3 publicity far before now. Dominions 4 is out since a few years not. Why I would want a lower version of my game's beyond me. That update that put "outdated stuff to the main screen" I don't like.

This update I like, for example, the screenshots and not only the title's going to help me a lot, as a lot of titles and jacket have been misleading.
I didn't exactly find the previous page awesome in any case.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 02:15:55 am by kasnavada »

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 11:15:45 am »
Wait, you people use the store main page to find new games? :o
I haven't done that in....a decade at this point.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 12:41:05 pm »
I do when I don't have the time to look through the new releases.
I like to look into their actual page instead of just looking at the title so its a fair while to do so.
the store main pages update hasn't really helped me or hindered me really I do it the same way I always have.
c.r

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 12:54:37 pm »
Pretty much the only time I look at the main page is during the sales. >..>
And even then it's more along the lines of "what's on sale, let me click that, does it look interesting?"
Halloween sale I just asked my local nexus friends "anything I should be aware of" and the answer was "no."

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 02:13:28 pm »
I used the front page to check what's new on Steam. The new front page is... uncomfortbale. But that's because I don't like changes in my view. I will get used to it eventually.

What I however liek about it, it now finally shows me first what games my firends like to play or recommend and not what Steam wants me to buy and play. That's a good sign.

Offline kasnavada

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 03:28:42 pm »

Actually, yes I do that.
Specialized sites are all about the new huge trends. If I look at all that's going out on steam I felt I had a bigger chance to find stuff. Then they did the update that removed the ones with low PR, which I kind of disliked.

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 08:21:38 pm »
I'm still mixed on the update. I like some aspects of it like the addition of screenshots and more flexibility on what shows up/doesn't show up. Also tag filters that are site-wide are nice. As well as completely filtering out TV/Movies, VR-games and the like. I mean, I have no problem with any of that, I just don't have a VR device and I don't buy movies on Steam. So.....*shrug*.
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 01:24:33 am »
Also tag filters that are site-wide are nice. As well as completely filtering out TV/Movies, VR-games and the like.

Tag filters have been around for a while.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 02:17:03 am »
Actually, yes I do that.
Specialized sites are all about the new huge trends. If I look at all that's going out on steam I felt I had a bigger chance to find stuff. Then they did the update that removed the ones with low PR, which I kind of disliked.

Yeah, same here.

I used to use specialized sites, but they've become more like your average gaming site... they just show the big things, and that doesn't help for finding new things at all.  If it's a big/popular game, I already know about it.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 04:43:34 am »
Actually, yes I do that.

Yeah, same here.

I used to use specialized sites, but they've become more like your average gaming site... they just show the big things, and that doesn't help for finding new things at all.  If it's a big/popular game, I already know about it.
yes as tedious as it may be at times I feel the best way to in find new releases that aren't already being talked about is to go through them manually 
c.r

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 06:26:52 am »
Also tag filters that are site-wide are nice. As well as completely filtering out TV/Movies, VR-games and the like.

Tag filters have been around for a while.

yea, but I was under the impression tag filters only affected certain areas like the Queue or top of the front page.
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 09:37:50 am »
It let me discover the first game I have wish listed in months (Ashes of Singularity)

Life is short. Have fun.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk