Author Topic: Moba balance comparison, please comment  (Read 184395 times)

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: Moba balance comparison, please comment
« Reply #750 on: March 07, 2015, 08:53:17 pm »
Aagh!!! I wanna get into Heroes of the Storm so badly, but I probably will not considering I just recently signed up. Does anyone know when it is being released?

As far as I know there is no confirmed release date as of yet.

Only guaranteed way to get in right now is to buy the founders pack, which can be found on the game's site.   $40, I think.  I personally would have ended up just doing that if I wasnt already in it, since I'm not exactly patient about these things, heh.

But yeah, if there's any info on an actual date, I've never heard it.

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
« Reply #751 on: March 07, 2015, 10:43:50 pm »
Actually check out Ebay. There's some beta keys for less than ten dollars. No reason to buy the founder pack. It's just not worth it for how much you pay. You could probably get a key on Ebay for $5 then the $5 starter pack using the in-game shop and have relatively the same amount of content, and access to the same game, for a mere fraction of the price.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #752 on: March 07, 2015, 10:52:22 pm »
Well, its alright so far. Still expecting that if I touch something further right in the mode select than co-op that I'll run into the terribleness and get complained at for not even into Valla close to right, but I had fun. The multiple maps is nice, the graphics are pretty cool, and the lack of needed lasthits is good.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #753 on: March 14, 2015, 05:47:19 am »
DID I MENTION I HATE THE BATTLE.NET LAUNCHER.

Uuuuugh.

It's SO bad that I've decided I now actually like Origin.   Why?  Because it's not Battle.net.    I almost like Windows for the same reason.

Now I know why I've heard so many complaints about the horrid thing.  Pretty sure they programmed this by putting a drunken, blindfolded monkey in front of a computer and then having him bash the keyboard with his face over and over until a launcher popped out.  Argh.

I did finally get the hellish thing to update.  How did I do this?  I uninstalled Hearthstone, and then restarted the patching over and over and over and over and over and over and over again until it finally finished.  The uninstalling of Hearthstone is the really pathetic part:  It was absolutely NECESSARY to make this work at all, because it kept glitching out over "ZOMG THERE IZ ANOTHER UPDATEZ HAPPENING (while Hearthstone is, in fact, not patching), I DUNNO WHAT 2 DO??!?".

This was AFTER it kept telling me that I couldnt have it install the game to a different directory, because the game, which needed to be installed (as I figured I'd try uninstalling and then re-installing it to see if that'd help), was not already installed in that directory.  Just think about that for a moment....

Here I'd thought the "Flash isnt updated" reason was dumb.  I WAS WRONG. 

Now to see if the bloody game will actually run without the computer violently detonating.

EDIT:  SURPRISE IT DOESNT WORK.   Ugh.  I'm going to just exorcise the entire unholy mess from this machine.  Even Blizzard's games arent worth that nightmare of a program.  May give the laptop a go at it, since the hideous monstrosity is already installed on there, but I dont tolerate that machine very well for gaming.

Oh yeah, one other thing it did:  Tried to tell me that the game was "optimal" and ready for play while patching when it had downloaded less than 50 MB of it.  Just.... what.    I dont.... what. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 05:59:31 am by Misery »

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #754 on: March 14, 2015, 08:37:00 am »
It's SO bad that I've decided I now actually like Origin.
Gentlemen, we need to stage an intervention.

Now to see if the bloody game will actually run without the computer violently detonating.
I'm thinking the "violent detonation" outcome might be for the best :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #755 on: March 14, 2015, 10:21:12 am »
...I haven't had issues with Battle.net? Then again, I only open it occasionally.

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
« Reply #756 on: March 14, 2015, 11:38:32 am »
DID I MENTION I HATE THE BATTLE.NET LAUNCHER.

Uuuuugh.

It's SO bad that I've decided I now actually like Origin.   Why?  Because it's not Battle.net.    I almost like Windows for the same reason.

Now I know why I've heard so many complaints about the horrid thing.  Pretty sure they programmed this by putting a drunken, blindfolded monkey in front of a computer and then having him bash the keyboard with his face over and over until a launcher popped out.  Argh.

I did finally get the hellish thing to update.  How did I do this?  I uninstalled Hearthstone, and then restarted the patching over and over and over and over and over and over and over again until it finally finished.  The uninstalling of Hearthstone is the really pathetic part:  It was absolutely NECESSARY to make this work at all, because it kept glitching out over "ZOMG THERE IZ ANOTHER UPDATEZ HAPPENING (while Hearthstone is, in fact, not patching), I DUNNO WHAT 2 DO??!?".

This was AFTER it kept telling me that I couldnt have it install the game to a different directory, because the game, which needed to be installed (as I figured I'd try uninstalling and then re-installing it to see if that'd help), was not already installed in that directory.  Just think about that for a moment....

Here I'd thought the "Flash isnt updated" reason was dumb.  I WAS WRONG. 

EDIT:  SURPRISE IT DOESNT WORK.   Ugh.  I'm going to just exorcise the entire unholy mess from this machine.  Even Blizzard's games arent worth that nightmare of a program.  May give the laptop a go at it, since the hideous monstrosity is already installed on there, but I dont tolerate that machine very well for gaming.

Oh yeah, one other thing it did:  Tried to tell me that the game was "optimal" and ready for play while patching when it had downloaded less than 50 MB of it.  Just.... what.    I dont.... what.

It sounds like you should just uninstall everything entirely and reinstall it then. I'll admit that I don't use Battle.net too often but wow....

I have yet to install Origin. No account with it either.
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #757 on: March 14, 2015, 11:58:44 am »

It sounds like you should just uninstall everything entirely and reinstall it then. I'll admit that I don't use Battle.net too often but wow....

I have yet to install Origin. No account with it either.

Already did that.  Twice.  Including Flash itself for that matter and the actual Battle.net launcher.

Wheras Origin... has it's own issues, that's for sure.  EA's selection is kinda slim anyway though;  seems to be mostly shooters and Dragon Age. 

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #758 on: March 14, 2015, 12:01:29 pm »
Wheras Origin... has it's own issues, that's for sure.  EA's selection is kinda slim anyway though;  seems to be mostly shooters and Dragon Age.
They could probably get some mileage out of a shooter where the enemies are bits and pieces of the Battle.Net interface.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #759 on: March 14, 2015, 01:34:23 pm »
There are plenty of things about Blizzard not to like, I'll be the first to say it. But I've never had a problem with their launcher in my life. I find it to be a really well designed program. I can't think of a single complaint with it. I've used it on multiple setups without a problem, that's why I'm a bit baffled by your issues.

The kind of things you're experiencing remind more of LoL's Adobe AIR launcher, which is world renowned for being a colossal piece of garbage.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #760 on: March 14, 2015, 02:20:03 pm »
LoL uses AIR for the launcher?

The last time I'd even heard of something using adobe air was Creeper world 2. Seems to be almost as rare as things that actually use Silverlight.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #761 on: March 14, 2015, 09:50:50 pm »
There are plenty of things about Blizzard not to like, I'll be the first to say it. But I've never had a problem with their launcher in my life. I find it to be a really well designed program. I can't think of a single complaint with it. I've used it on multiple setups without a problem, that's why I'm a bit baffled by your issues.

The kind of things you're experiencing remind more of LoL's Adobe AIR launcher, which is world renowned for being a colossal piece of garbage.

To be honest, with not just the launcher but also Blizzard as a whole, I've had nothing but one problem after another.   My account with them?  It's account number three.  First one was lost due to random hacker getting into it.... nothing I could do.   Second one was lost due to BLIZZARD getting their own servers hacked, I remember THAT little debacle (and if I recall correctly, that wasnt the only time they had that happen).  Version 3 of the account I wish I didn't need is still, for now, holding.  This is with all of their additional security crap, mind you.

Just.... uuuugh.  I really, really dont like them much.  Never did, never will.  They end up being a developer I just sort of tolerate rather than like, despite their good games.

I might not be AS aggravated by the whole thing currently if the problem wasnt so alarmingly stupid.   I mean... really?  Adobe Flash?  And the problem is that your stupid program cant tell the the accursed thing IS already updated?  Yeeeaaahhh.... what little confidence I had in the whole thing died horribly right then.

Diablo 3 at least is working for now though.  So there's that at least. 

What's this "AIR launcher" though?  I've not heard of that one (possible I may have used it without knowing though).  I'm guessing there's some hilarity attached to it?

They could probably get some mileage out of a shooter where the enemies are bits and pieces of the Battle.Net interface.

That'd be a very violent game.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #762 on: March 16, 2015, 11:19:28 am »
Okay.... I shouldnt have to ask this HERE, but as this gets more and more absurd, I have to:

Does anyone here know the ACTUAL way to contact Blizzard's accursed support team?

See, the "contact support" option on the Battle.net site (going from the "my account" page) does not, in fact, lead to a page about contacting support.  What it leads to is where you pick what issue you're having, and it "searches articles" (hint: it doesnt find anything helpful).   ....that's it.  No, seriously, that's IT.

The only other thing:  Post your problem in their technical support section of the forum.  I did this, but I already know it's futile.  Many of the topics in there have zero replies, and looking through multiple PAGES of them, I saw *one* that had a "solved!" mark next to it.  Even the ones that do have replies, they're usually replies from random other forum members.  Most of which seem to be along the lines of "Oh, I'm having this problem too!"

As best I can tell, there's no other way to deal with them directly. 

I didn't think this could get any stupider.  I WAS WRONG.  Someone on that team needs to be banished to Jupiter.  I'm not sure who, but someone.

Me thinks I'll jump back into Smite for a time while that stupidity does.... whatever the heck it does.  I'd gotten a bit burned out on it from doing alot of Arena over at a friend's house.  And I hear that apparently something is bad about the support role for conquest right now?  I think someone mentioned that earlier in the topic but the browser is being a twit.  I do know that the last time I did that it involved nearly instant doom.  Like getting run over by a lawnmower. 

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #763 on: March 16, 2015, 11:55:00 am »
Does anyone here know the ACTUAL way to contact Blizzard's accursed support team?
Send a self-addressed stamped envelope to:

Blizzard Technical Support
Online Services Department
Tartarus

Dip corner in blood to cover extra-planar component of the postage cost.

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #764 on: March 16, 2015, 05:44:59 pm »
Some strange "solutions" I've found online:

1. From a Blizzard dev:
         Try this:

1. Navigate to the C:\ProgramData folder and delete the Battle.net folder and the Blizzard Entertainment folder.
2. Navigate to the Diablo III/WoW folder and delete the "Updates" folder.
3. Launch Diablo III/WoW as an admin by right clicking on the launcher and selecting "Run as admin".

2. This is a bit strange, but open Internet Explorer in the background before using the launcher, this seems to have worked for a lot of people.

Allright .. i did everything
activate hidden folders
delete blizzard entertainment folder
delete battlenet folder
deleted cache folder
deleted wtf folder
uncheck/recheck lan options
stop all programs in the background
pray to wow gods
pray to greek gods
pray to nord gods

and then... finally... started ie in the background... and BAM!!!!!!
it worked... :D
i mean really that step should be in the !@#$%^- help features or in blue letters, red letters, green letters, sticked, etc.

IE IN THE BACKGROUND WORKS.

1. Hit Ctrl+Shift+Esc to bring up the Task Manager.
2. Click on the Processes tab.
3. Look for Agent.exe and highlight it.
4. Click End Process to close out any running Agent.exe processes.

Once that is done, restart the Battle.net Application and retry the installation. Let me know how it goes.

Also, try installing the launcher on another computer in the same household. If it works you know the problem is computer specific.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk