Author Topic: Moba balance comparison, please comment  (Read 184400 times)

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
Re: Moba balance comparison, please comment
« Reply #690 on: January 28, 2015, 02:13:19 pm »
I agree with Mana and King here. As for how to pronounce Chaac, it's kind of like the word "shock"!

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
« Reply #691 on: February 02, 2015, 07:38:37 am »

This is basically what's necessary for me to win a Smite game, lol.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #692 on: February 02, 2015, 10:17:33 am »
Holy Jesus christ of Nazareth!? O_o

Low level games, how I miss you sometimes...
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
« Reply #693 on: February 02, 2015, 02:02:39 pm »
o_o Dat Tyr. 0 kills, 10 deaths and few assists. Also, holy pants of the Teleport to Gods usage. And is that an Eye of Providence I see? Wow, I haven't seen that in so long. And no Hand of the Gods on the Support makes my eye twitch.
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #694 on: February 02, 2015, 03:15:25 pm »
Yeah, I was having "fun" at those builds too ^^

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #695 on: February 03, 2015, 03:45:31 am »
Unholy flaming balls of Odin, is that Hastened Fatalis on Cupid, Bastet, Osiris AND Bastet? WHAT? My eyes. Let's build an autoattack-triggered sticking item on a character with LUDICROUS mobility and that doesn't really use basics that much.

Kay.

The only really sensible builds were Vulcan and Zeus, and Vulcan kinda tainted his with Teleport to Gods.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 03:47:23 am by Mánagarmr »

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #696 on: February 03, 2015, 03:48:49 pm »
Thanks, but I'm just playing to have fun :P

If I cared about competitive, I'd play DotA.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #697 on: February 04, 2015, 02:12:03 am »

Now see, this I've never understood. Like, at all. Is "huging around" and ruining the game for 9 other people really "just having fun"? Personally, I feel that's extremely egotistical.

That said, it's a low level game so I understand that people won't understand how to build their characters yet. But that particular mindset just strikes me as narrowminded and egotistical.

"I don't give a crap about you guys, I'll just trololol, it's just game lol!"
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 02:21:51 am by Mánagarmr »

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #698 on: February 04, 2015, 03:06:21 am »
You have a valid point, I just don't see it that way. In unranked I feel that people should play to have fun.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 03:18:19 am by Wingflier »

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #699 on: February 04, 2015, 03:26:53 am »
You have a valid point, I just don't see it that way. In unranked I feel that people should play to have fun.
Well, I agree. Playing to have fun is pretty much the basis of playing games in the first place. But there are also 9 other people to care about, so you can't just ignore them. ;)

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #700 on: February 04, 2015, 04:38:43 am »

Now see, this I've never understood. Like, at all. Is "huging around" and ruining the game for 9 other people really "just having fun"? Personally, I feel that's extremely egotistical.

That said, it's a low level game so I understand that people won't understand how to build their characters yet. But that particular mindset just strikes me as narrowminded and egotistical.

"I don't give a crap about you guys, I'll just trololol, it's just game lol!"

It's not always like that though.

Some players just dont want to use the "usual" builds for a variety of reasons.  Maybe they disagree with the whole thing, maybe they've found a build that works well for them specifically.  I think most of the time it's not just done for teh lulz.  It's just the player in question doing their role in their own way.  It's what I typically do in.... pretty much everything in every genre. I never get anywhere otherwise.

Of course there still are indeed plenty who will purposely choose specific setups that will ruin things, because "HUR HUR DUR THAT'LL SHOW THOSE N00BS", but they're often alot more obvious because they'll be acting like morons in the chat and such.

....and in Wingflier's case here he did kinda get 10 bazillion kills, so it seems to have worked out fine.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #701 on: February 04, 2015, 05:13:56 am »
It's not always like that though.

Some players just dont want to use the "usual" builds for a variety of reasons.  Maybe they disagree with the whole thing, maybe they've found a build that works well for them specifically.  I think most of the time it's not just done for teh lulz.  It's just the player in question doing their role in their own way.  It's what I typically do in.... pretty much everything in every genre. I never get anywhere otherwise.

Of course there still are indeed plenty who will purposely choose specific setups that will ruin things, because "HUR HUR DUR THAT'LL SHOW THOSE N00BS", but they're often alot more obvious because they'll be acting like morons in the chat and such.

....and in Wingflier's case here he did kinda get 10 bazillion kills, so it seems to have worked out fine.
True enough. I generally go out of my way to build outside the "popular" builds, mostly because I hate being generic. But there are things you just don't do because they're pointless and directly detrimental. Hastened Fatalis is such a case. It's a scarce number of gods on who it can technically work, and even fewer where it's actually a good idea. Never get it on a hunter, for instance. Most assassins are also ruled out because it hurts their damage output too much. Kali and Osiris can build it to get sticking power, but Kali can just build Sprint, and Osiris has a bajillion slows so he doesn't really need it either.

On Bastet it's terrible because she really doesn't use her basics that much, she has a slow, a speed steroid, a jump and is more of a physical caster (meaning she needs CDR and penetration) than an AA-god. So it really rubs me the wrong way when people build items that are clearly detrimental to how the god is designed. It's like building auto-attack items on someone like Vulcan.

I personally build Hastalis on Poseidon sometimes (in addition to other AA-items). Now, Poseidon is generally a burst mage with HUGE damage output, but with his steroid, movement speed and insane sticking power, you CAN play him as an AA god, but it's just not as good as burst mage. But few people expect it so they end up boxing him and dying horribly :P

But yes, naturally Wingflier got a bajillion kills. He knows MOBAs, he generally knows how to play even though his builds may be strange. Bastet is a god with high base damage so even IF you build her awfully, you are going to get a lot of kills from her base damage alone. Especially if your opponents are more clueless than yourself ^^
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 05:15:36 am by Mánagarmr »

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #702 on: February 05, 2015, 08:21:17 am »
I am a fan of stepping outside the meta because... Well the meta is extremely boring, especially in such heavily meta entrenched games such as Smite. As an example, my friends and I like to try unorthodox things such as putting two warriors in the duo lane and an adc mid. We win most of the time too, and when we lose it's usually only because we have a leaver or afker which seems to be a bigger problem in Smite than the others. It isn't punished that heavily which leads to frequent leavers.

Granted, perhaps our opponents just aren't that great, but even if that were the case, it's still more fun to win in a unique way than to run the same old boring combos and lanes that everybody else is doing. Finding ways to break the meta is, in my opinion, one of the most enjoyable elements of playing ANY game, and I jump at the first opportunity to do it every time.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #703 on: February 05, 2015, 08:27:36 am »
I am a fan of stepping outside the meta because... Well the meta is extremely boring, especially in such heavily meta entrenched games such as Smite. As an example, my friends and I like to try unorthodox things such as putting two warriors in the duo lane and an adc mid. We win most of the time too, and when we lose it's usually only because we have a leaver or afker which seems to be a bigger problem in Smite than the others. It isn't punished that heavily which leads to frequent leavers.

Granted, perhaps our opponents just aren't that great, but even if that were the case, it's still more fun to win in a unique way than to run the same old boring combos and lanes that everybody else is doing. Finding ways to break the meta is, in my opinion, one of the most enjoyable elements of playing ANY game, and I jump at the first opportunity to do it every time.
Understandable. "Breaking the meta" however isn't the same thing as "deliberately shooting yourself in the foot with a bazooka" ;)

Most lanecomps will work in a casual game and low level ranked games. Heck, I've done stranger things than duo warriors in duo lane. I've played Ne Zha mid, Anubis jungle and Loki ADC several times. All being "out of the meta". But it's not exactly the same thing as crippling yourself with a horrific build and not performing well in your intended role, whatever you chose.

That said, I wasn't directly criticising YOU specifically when I complained about the builds. There are far worse builds in there than yours. ;) But a suggestion is to not get Hastalis on Bastet, because you really don't need it, and it will hurt you. No matter what role you have.

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #704 on: February 05, 2015, 08:54:04 am »
In other news, I think Sun Wukong is one of the most interesting and unique characters of any MOBA. I really enjoy playing him. Even with all his strengths, he has some glaring weaknesses, which makes him seem balanced to me. I'm not sure how he would fare in competitive play though (probably pretty badly), but he's a ton of fun in pubs. In general, I find Smite's hero designs to be a lot more inspiring than LoL's, even if half the cast flies up in the air and becomes invincible as their ultimate, which I find incredibly boring and overused.

Not sure if anyone cares, but in the most recent massive DotA tournament (this one is like a Chinese version of "The International", and has so far already grossed a several million dollar prize pool), 97 out of 105 heroes have been picked thus far. I find that incredible personally, and it's a testament to the game's balance and versatility. It seems like the balance gets better with every patch.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk