Author Topic: Moba balance comparison, please comment  (Read 184379 times)

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
Re: Moba balance comparison, please comment
« Reply #660 on: January 09, 2015, 06:37:04 pm »
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline Zebeast46

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #661 on: January 10, 2015, 11:43:24 am »
Lol, pretty funny despite me being a league player
AI 1 = Chris.

AI 2 = Keith.

Taken from Bognor

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #662 on: January 10, 2015, 02:27:19 pm »
Smite championship (claims to have the 3rd biggest gaming prize pool ever) happening this weekend. It's happening now. http://www.twitch.tv/smitegame

Seems pretty hype, I'll try to keep an eye on it.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #663 on: January 11, 2015, 07:10:35 pm »
The opening games were pretty darn meh, with the Latam and Chinese teams not at all bringing their game, but the rest of the tournament was pretty darn awesome. Too bad my own team got kicked in the butt in the grand finals, losing 2/3 to Cognitive Prime, but it was still great to watch. Games 1-2 were just Titan running around being confused, games 3-4 were awesome nailbaiters, and game 5 really showed that Cog is, by far, the best team in the world.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #664 on: January 11, 2015, 07:13:13 pm »
This is hilarious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfwPUoqzptk
I. freaking. hate. those. videos.

That shit needs to stop. Yesterday. Those videos are all over Youtube now and they're driving me nuts with their lame ass repeating of every single meme known to man. GEEEZUS

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
« Reply #665 on: January 11, 2015, 07:31:40 pm »
This is hilarious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfwPUoqzptk
I. freaking. hate. those. videos.

That shit needs to stop. Yesterday. Those videos are all over Youtube now and they're driving me nuts with their lame ass repeating of every single meme known to man. GEEEZUS

I agree they are trying too hard to be funny, and I wonder if anyone is actually finding that stuff humorous. Or if it's one of those forced internet "LOL!" kind of things. However, it's easy to avoid. Just don't watch it.
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #666 on: January 12, 2015, 02:35:28 pm »
The opening games were pretty darn meh, with the Latam and Chinese teams not at all bringing their game, but the rest of the tournament was pretty darn awesome. Too bad my own team got kicked in the butt in the grand finals, losing 2/3 to Cognitive Prime, but it was still great to watch. Games 1-2 were just Titan running around being confused, games 3-4 were awesome nailbaiters, and game 5 really showed that Cog is, by far, the best team in the world.
I never did have a chance to watch it. Gosh last weekend was a freaking gold mine for awesome gaming tournaments.

There tournaments for Hearthstone, DotA 2, and Project Melee all at the same time and I got so caught up watching those, I never got a chance to see the Smite one. I'll probably go back and watch some of the top 8 games.

Any recommendations?

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #667 on: January 13, 2015, 03:13:13 am »
I never did have a chance to watch it. Gosh last weekend was a freaking gold mine for awesome gaming tournaments.

There tournaments for Hearthstone, DotA 2, and Project Melee all at the same time and I got so caught up watching those, I never got a chance to see the Smite one. I'll probably go back and watch some of the top 8 games.

Any recommendations?
Game 3 and 4 of the grand finals (Titan vs Cognitive Prime) were great games where Titan really showed that they have potential, taking on the juggernaut that is CogP. I also recommend Day 1, Game 7 (Cognitive Red vs SK Gaming). Day 1, Game 3 (OMG vs Titan) is also quite decent.

Unfortunately there were a lot of low skilled teams due to it being a world with region brackets, but anything involving CogRed, CogPrime, Titan or SK gaming in any combination is pretty much guaranteed to be good.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #668 on: January 13, 2015, 06:42:30 am »
Rock Paper Shotgun had a pretty nice writeup of the entire thing.

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #669 on: January 20, 2015, 08:27:50 pm »
So the Founder's Pack ($40) is now available for Heroes of the Storm. It gives you instant access to the game including 3 heroes and a few other cosmetic things. I'm considering buying it, though I'm not sure it would be worth it.

The game is still in Alpha yes? (I realize that Blizzard Alphas are like other game late-betas but yeah)

Also, is it free to play when it's released as well?

Those who have played, let me know what you think.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #670 on: January 20, 2015, 09:34:26 pm »
So the Founder's Pack ($40) is now available for Heroes of the Storm. It gives you instant access to the game including 3 heroes and a few other cosmetic things. I'm considering buying it, though I'm not sure it would be worth it.

The game is still in Alpha yes? (I realize that Blizzard Alphas are like other game late-betas but yeah)

Also, is it free to play when it's released as well?

Those who have played, let me know what you think.

Hmm, I believe the game has actually reached it's beta state now, though I could be remembering it wrong.

Yes, it's a free-to-play one, pretty typical payment method and all that.  Though the real-money prices for individual heroes and such seem a bit on the high side to me.  But yeah, you know how it works, earn gold/something/whatever for winning matches, spend it on heroes and such.

I dont think it takes THAT long to unlock heroes, not as long as some of the others take.

My one issue with this:  Regardless of how you unlock a hero, they start out at a "hero level" of one.  What does this do?  Simple:  It means that alot of the skills/spells you can grab as perks when your team levels up in game are actually locked.  So on a particular level up, where you'd normally have a choice of 5 perks with a character, you'd instead have a choice of TWO without having levelled them.  I find the system kinda irritating, honestly.  Particularly since there's already guides and such detailing interesting builds and strategies with each character, but.... you cant fully try them out if you cant access the perks for them!  Hero level goes up as you'd expect, just play games with that hero.  It seems it doesnt take long to max them out, but it seems unnecessary to me for it to be that way.

As for the price and wether or not it's worth it.... honestly, it's like anything in this genre: only you can figure out if it's worth it to you.  You're best off watching some videos of high level matches if you can find some good ones.  Watch a bunch of the different characters, watch a bunch of the different maps, and what strategies are used and all of that.   While keeping in mind the various important differences between this game and the others (less focus on actual kills is one that might throw off some players).

40 though, hmm, I personally think it's a fine price IF it's the sort of game that is for you.  It's a good deal for entry into a game that's already got loads of content and Blizzard's extreme level of polish.  Seems a fairly typical price for a "founders pack" type thing also.

Offline Zebeast46

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #671 on: January 20, 2015, 09:39:49 pm »
Misery, you beat me by 3 minutes to respond to wingfliers comment. :) I was about to respond but you said it better than I did so there was not really a point in responding. :P
AI 1 = Chris.

AI 2 = Keith.

Taken from Bognor

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #672 on: January 21, 2015, 02:56:29 am »
I absolutely DETEST out of game progression. League of Legends has this too with it's retarded Glyhp system. All it does is add unnecessary complexity AND put experienced people even further ahead of new players than they already are (experience and whatnot). I absolutely hate that system.

I can accept Smite's level system that bar people from playing League (ranked) unless they're level 30. I understand that. It keeps noobs from completely screwing up the matchmaking in the lower brackets. But anything beyond that just makes me sick.

Offline Endymion

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #673 on: January 21, 2015, 04:24:32 am »
I absolutely DETEST out of game progression. League of Legends has this too with it's retarded Glyhp system. All it does is add unnecessary complexity AND put experienced people even further ahead of new players than they already are (experience and whatnot). I absolutely hate that system.
I very much agree with this which is why HotS is pretty much the only MOBA I occasionally play. Leveling a hero takes around 3 or 4 matches and I mostly view it as making sure I try out the different options(first because there are no others and then because I've just unlocked one)
I'm making videogames! You can read more about whatever I'm doing here

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #674 on: January 21, 2015, 04:30:17 am »

I can accept Smite's level system that bar people from playing League (ranked) unless they're level 30. I understand that. It keeps noobs from completely screwing up the matchmaking in the lower brackets. But anything beyond that just makes me sick.

Yeah, I dont like it either.  LOTS of fans of games like this dont like it. 

I can absolutely understand WHY they do it though:  A sense of progression and increasing strength, as well as the idea of "unlocking" things, is something of a psychological tool in encouraging players to keep coming back for more.   It's one of the reasons why MMOs tend to do so well, with such focus on such things.

And, with a few exceptions, it tends to be way more important for free-2-play games than paid ones, because they NEED that sort of hook, since they'll get nothing from a player if they dont keep them coming back.  They'll have far less chances to encourage spending.

Dota 2 gets away with not doing it because it STARTED so bloody huge; there was no way the game was NOT going to make money, so long as they offered SOMETHING, regardless of what that was.  They were able to start out with a totally different pay model, and be guaranteed to get away with it.

It's actually kinda surprising to me that Smite also can get away with it at all;  I paid for the full gods pack myself right away, but beyond that... there just isnt that much of interest that I'd want to spend on.  Cosmetics are nice and everything, but there's only a few that I would want.... far less encouragement for me to spend anything than pretty much any other game I play.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk