Author Topic: League vs Dota Megabrawl: Arcen Games Edition  (Read 50265 times)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: League vs Dota Megabrawl: Arcen Games Edition
« Reply #120 on: August 17, 2012, 01:41:51 pm »
Chris Taylor game, to be expected.

Lancefighter if you feel you've reached your peak in LoL, come on over to DotA 2. If you reach your peak there I'll eat my thing on your foot ;D

I'm trying.. its just way too difficult to play pub games. the community is absolutely terrible, like i said.
I wonder, maybe if they made Pyroland goggles for DotA?  So the game was the same, but the interface showed you interacting with pleasant bots instead of unpleasant humans, and you didn't have to worry about any of the drama.

Hmm, no, actually more disturbing.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #121 on: August 17, 2012, 02:25:50 pm »
If it made the unpleasant humans be quiet ( i know i can manually ignore them all), and most importantly, be semi-competent players.. I'm in!
Ideas? Suggestions? Concerns? Bugs to be squashed? Report them on the Mantis Bugtracker!

Author of the Dyson Project and the Spire Gambit

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #122 on: August 17, 2012, 02:36:30 pm »
Step 1 to enjoying any MOBA is to disable all chat/voice communication with enemies and allies.  Put on some nice music and you'll find the game much more enjoyable.

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #123 on: August 17, 2012, 02:38:57 pm »
I dunno. I really try to not be anti-communicative and all - But it just ends up being not worth the effort far too much.

Like I can play games of league with my team and actually enjoy it, for the most part - Why cant I do that in pub games?
Ideas? Suggestions? Concerns? Bugs to be squashed? Report them on the Mantis Bugtracker!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #124 on: August 17, 2012, 02:40:07 pm »
Step 1 to enjoying any MOBA is to disable all chat/voice communication with enemies and allies.  Put on some nice music and you'll find the game much more enjoyable.
I don't think I could get past the fact that I was ignoring people who were in some sense counting on my cooperation.  Why not just play a singleplayer game?
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #125 on: August 17, 2012, 02:44:59 pm »
I don't think I could get past the fact that I was ignoring people who were in some sense counting on my cooperation.  Why not just play a singleplayer game?
This. So much this.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #126 on: August 17, 2012, 02:51:37 pm »
Find me an AI as good as a human, and you could play a MOBA as a single-player game.  But humans are currently better, so for more of a challenge, you play against people.  You turn off chat because 99% of what people type is unnecessary, and frequently offensive.  Just pretend you are playing with a bunch of people who don't speak your language.  Anything you need to say can be done via pings.  Sadly LoL doesn't allow pings to be ignored separately from chat so you need to drag the chat off screen.  I'm not sure how DOTA2/HoN handles muting.

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #127 on: August 17, 2012, 03:15:52 pm »
  Sadly LoL doesn't allow pings to be ignored separately from chat so you need to drag the chat off screen.
Thats actually a feature. rofl.
Nowadays I cant even drag the chat offscreen - I need it for dargon and baron timers.

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #128 on: August 17, 2012, 05:59:46 pm »
Find me an AI as good as a human, and you could play a MOBA as a single-player game.  But humans are currently better, so for more of a challenge, you play against people.  You turn off chat because 99% of what people type is unnecessary, and frequently offensive.  Just pretend you are playing with a bunch of people who don't speak your language.  Anything you need to say can be done via pings.  Sadly LoL doesn't allow pings to be ignored separately from chat so you need to drag the chat off screen.  I'm not sure how DOTA2/HoN handles muting.

You got me thinking about a possible MOBA game... basically DotA where the enemy is the AI from AI War. Creeps sneak around through the jungle to sneak down your lanes... every tower you destroy gives AI Progress... and the AI spawns heroes and regular waves of creeps to just make things interesting...
Destroy the Superfortress and your team wins?

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #129 on: August 17, 2012, 06:09:03 pm »
Destroy the Superfortress and your team wins?
"Congratulations, you have drawn the AI's attention!"

(tremendous rumbling noise, dark shadow cast over entire ally throne, massive orbital laser fires, screen whiteout)

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
« Reply #130 on: August 17, 2012, 06:22:33 pm »
You have won! *Cue Deathstar*
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 06:26:52 pm by Wingflier »
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #131 on: August 17, 2012, 06:23:52 pm »
They are always just toying with you...

Well, I would have said command station but then a Scorched Earth AI would always win.

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #132 on: August 20, 2012, 12:15:55 pm »
So if any are still interested in awesomenauts, I decided to go ahead and grab it (keep in mind I've not played any moba style games, but love 2d action/platformer types).

It's quite enjoyable, I've only played one online game and got my butt kicked. It has off-line play mode, bots, and even local co-op (local as in split-screen on the same computer) which are all very nice pluses.

It also has the very large plus of its games only being 10-20 mins long (I hear most moba type games are like 40-60 mins long). Even though I haven't played much online, it gets a recommendation from me for fun gameplay and style with lots of personality. Though I'm not bothered by the flashiness on screen either.

Basically, I see it has a lot of potential for depth and skill, but its even enjoyable on a casual player level too.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #133 on: August 20, 2012, 12:30:02 pm »
It also has the very large plus of its games only being 10-20 mins long (I hear most moba type games are like 40-60 mins long).
More like 30-40 in my what I've seen, and in League vs bots it can get down to 8-15 if you're decently good and specifically trying for a quick win.

Thanks for the info on awesomenauts, I'll probably pick it up on a sale and play local-vs-bots a lot on my "I want to play a game but my brain is fried" time :)  Lately been using TF2 local bot games for that purpose.

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #134 on: August 20, 2012, 05:21:28 pm »
Anyone play BLC? I heard good things about it when it was first released (TreeEskimo's bother, Megazero, won some tournament on stream once..) But I've heard literally nothing of it since then.

It seems like a really good alternative, as you really dont have time to type how bad your teammates are in the middle of a game :p

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk