Author Topic: Concerning America's mass shootings epidemic  (Read 19037 times)

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
Concerning America's mass shootings epidemic
« on: December 03, 2015, 05:47:47 pm »
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'm genuinely curious as to this forum's take on this issue. If this is too controversial any mod can feel free to remove it immediately.

Apparently there have been more mass shootings this year than there have been days, making it worse than it's ever been, and yet gun control legislation seems to be out of the question because of heavy political lobbying and fear-based propaganda.

One reoccurring theme after all these massacres is the inevitable "Let's pray for the victims and the victim's families", but this response has become so commonplace, especially by many conservative political leaders, that major news sources have begun to call out the hypocrisy of it. It seems that prayer has become an excuse not to do anything about it.

The most recent shooting was in San Bernardino, California in which at least 14 people were killed and 17 injured.

What is the solution to this crisis? Why does this seem to be almost strictly an American problem? I'd love to hear your opinions.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
Re: Concerning America's mass shootings epidemic
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 06:15:31 pm »
Because it's easy to get a gun in America, that's why. Something like this happens rarely in Germany (it DOES however happen from time to time) because Germany has really strict weapon laws. Amerca has been gone too long carefree with their own laws about this theme (mainly because of said lobbies who want to make MONEY MONEY MONEY).
I don't blame the USA for their love of old fashioned laws but they have to wake up. Weapons aren't anymore the same as they were for 200 years. Weapons of this year are far more advanced and far more deadly. And also a lot easier to use. Sadly but true. Stuff that was appropiat at that time isn't now anymore. Esspecially when a 10 year old child can use a gun (no exaggeration in that).
An american friend of me told me that to solve this problem, children have to know the proper use of guns so they won't shoot themself accidently. or other people. Or start to massmurder. In which way is this ever an solution? In my eyes this only solidifies the problem that is at hand. Children learn much earlier how to handle weapons and get emotional attached to weapons. This is ALWAYS a bad idea.
Also, I don't take the excuse that people have to protect themself. We see how good this works in America. Germany has a lower crime rate as the USA and we DON'T have weapons all around us to protect us. Weapons don't protect. Weapons kill. It is more likely that the assailant also have a weapon. And when two people have weapons and face eachother, things always go to hell.
Goddamit, just learn some self-defenses techniques if you have to, I did the same, it's not that hard.

I want also to add, I don't have anything agains the USA or the US american civilization, but this topic just makes me sick and the gun policy in your country, dear US americans, is just terrible.

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 07:51:41 pm »
Apparently there have been more mass shootings this year than there have been days

My BS detector just went off.  Please cite your source for this.

Weapons don't protect. Weapons kill.

People have been killing people for literally all of human history in one scale or another.  Magically making guns vanish (and it would require magic) would hardly put a dent in it.  If you really want to protect peoples lives - that's what this is all about, right? can't possibly be any other reason - then set the national speed limit to 35mph/55kph.  A HUGE majority of fatal car crashes occur at higher rates.  The number of lives you'd save would DWARF gun deaths.

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 09:03:38 pm »
Weapons don't protect. Weapons kill.

People have been killing people for literally all of human history in one scale or another.  Magically making guns vanish (and it would require magic) would hardly put a dent in it.  If you really want to protect peoples lives - that's what this is all about, right? can't possibly be any other reason - then set the national speed limit to 35mph/55kph.  A HUGE majority of fatal car crashes occur at higher rates.  The number of lives you'd save would DWARF gun deaths.
Wtf? How on earth does this debilitate my argument? guns do still not protect humans.
Now, I don't claim what you say is wrong (because it's right) but the purpose of a car is to travel from one point to another. The purpose of a gun is to kill something. This may not be a human being, but the purpose is clearly there. And it doesn't matter if it can kill an animal or a human, it can kill both.

Also, to make my point clearer (more clear? goddamit, my english is terrible): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Now as you can see, Germany has a murder rate of 0,8 and is in the low 190 (of 218 counted countries) while the USA with a 3,8 murder rate is at 91. This is a percantage taken per 100.000 inhabitants of that country.
America (North and South combined) has also the most incidents of all continents!
This was taken from 2012 btw, so it is of course not up to date any more.

I mean, look at the stats, there has clearly to be something wrong here.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 09:14:25 pm by TheVampire100 »

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 09:40:01 pm »
I went to the source of the WP's stats, shootingtracker.com, and tried to look at their sources.  The site is apparently up and down, because I only got their citations to load once.  When it did, I scrolled through and clicked open 10 random links to the cited news stories.  Every one of them either simply stated "4 people shot, 1 hospitalized, 0 fatalities", or that it was a gang related shooting.  The former example has no data to try to figure out what happened or what the circumstances were, and in my mind is therefore useless in a rational discussion about the cause of such incidences.  Gang related shootings are going to almost exclusively involve weapons obtained illegally, and which don't match the narrative gun control proponents promote.  It's all about the wording.  Those that favor strict gun control legislation use the phrase "mass shooting" because they know it conjures up the image in a persons mind of spree killers, of the sort that occurred in San Bernadino recently.  It's misleading and they know it.  The stats they use include any incident in which 4 or more people, possibly including the shooter, are shot.  No killed or hospitalized, just shot.  Apparently, the site has even included cases where pellet guns and airsoft rifles are used.

From what I've seen of the 355 shootings, the overwhelming cause is gang violence.  When your society glorifies that lifestyle through song and image, what else do you expect?  Couple that with lack of economic opportunity and you have a recipe for exactly this.  But don't come to the intellectually dishonest conclusion that guns somehow make people kill each other.  It's a lump of metal.  Nothing more.

guns do still not protect humans.

Tell that to my cousin who used the gun in her purse to stop a man trying to cuddly hug  and probably murder her.  That never made it onto the news or into the paper.  She didn't shoot the guy, but once he saw the gun, he took off.  These types of stories never make it to the media because it goes against the narrative that gun are evil.  No database exists that I ever heard of to document cases where guns have saved lives, but the anecdotal stories are all over the place if you only take the time to look. 

The fact of the matter is, guns are an equalizing force.  An 80 pound grandma can stop a 250 pound assailant if she is armed with a gun.

As for the murder stats you mention, there are 90 countries ahead of the United States, yet the US has the highest per capita gun ownership in the world.  If we are #1 in that stat, then by your logic we should be #1 in the murder rate.  Also, if you don't include suicide - the leading contributor to gun deaths in the US, nearly 3 times higher than the homicide rate - then the rank is much lower.  The homicide rate in this country is a societal problem, not a gun problem.

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 10:20:20 pm »
Sane people are not saying that grandma can’t get a weapon. What sane people are saying is that some weapons can do too much damage to too many people, causing tremendous loss of life. The weapon can be too big. You can protect yourself, but you do not need a weapon of mass destruction. Grandma doesn’t need a semiautomatic assault rifle. Another thing that sane people are asking for is background checks at gun shows and for people with mental illness. I don’t want someone who is crazy owning a semiautomatic weapon. And yet another thing that has been asked for is people with suspected terrorism ties should not be able to buy weapons.

But we can’t make any of these gun laws that actually make sense because right wing people have the gun lobby. Crazy right wing people use the ideas of nationalism, patriotism, and fear to promote their agenda. The fact of the matter is, many of these gun attacks are preventable by common sense protections. And nobody needs an AR-15. That’s not what the right to bear arms means.

Yes, America does have a problem with guns, and it’s because of ignorant people and Republicans (often the same individual). Unfortunately, many people really don’t care about the shootings. They turn on the TV and say a few pithy words, but that’s it.

It can be summed up by this attitude: as long as they got theirs, f* everyone else. This phrase means, as long as I'm happy, I don't care about anyone else. People care about their own freedoms at the expense of other people. It’s distasteful.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 10:22:11 pm by Cyborg »
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 10:25:20 pm »
http://news.yahoo.com/thoughts-and-prayers-san-bernardino-backlash-152811604.html

"But the New York Daily News pushed back with a provocative front page condemning yet another brush with American gun violence, mocking the responses of several Republican presidential candidates. The headline: "God Isn't Fixing This.""
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 10:57:49 pm »
Magically making guns vanish (and it would require magic) would hardly put a dent in it.
No, just time and a lot of money, and more political capital than any politician has with the half of the US suffering from a Prion disease.

I think the current spate of gun violence is vile. I think it represents a failure of policy and of basic humanity. It has to stop. We should be finding help for young men and women who are liable to become shooters (read this article from last year, we already do a pretty good job of that even with the agency criminally understaffed), but there's only ONE way to stop the trend: Treat gun makers and the NRA the same way we treat tobacco companies, and for the same reason. Gun makers and promoters are profiting from death as gun sales spike everytime one of these events hits the news. Make them responsible and liable for damages and I can guarantee we'll see a similar reduction in gun deaths as to smoking deaths in the last twenty years.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 11:00:22 pm »
I went to the source of the WP's stats, shootingtracker.com, and tried to look at their sources.  The site is apparently up and down, because I only got their citations to load once.  When it did, I scrolled through and clicked open 10 random links to the cited news stories.  Every one of them either simply stated "4 people shot, 1 hospitalized, 0 fatalities", or that it was a gang related shooting.  The former example has no data to try to figure out what happened or what the circumstances were, and in my mind is therefore useless in a rational discussion about the cause of such incidences.  Gang related shootings are going to almost exclusively involve weapons obtained illegally, and which don't match the narrative gun control proponents promote.  It's all about the wording.  Those that favor strict gun control legislation use the phrase "mass shooting" because they know it conjures up the image in a persons mind of spree killers, of the sort that occurred in San Bernadino recently.  It's misleading and they know it.  The stats they use include any incident in which 4 or more people, possibly including the shooter, are shot.  No killed or hospitalized, just shot.  Apparently, the site has even included cases where pellet guns and airsoft rifles are used.

From what I've seen of the 355 shootings, the overwhelming cause is gang violence.  When your society glorifies that lifestyle through song and image, what else do you expect?  Couple that with lack of economic opportunity and you have a recipe for exactly this.  But don't come to the intellectually dishonest conclusion that guns somehow make people kill each other.  It's a lump of metal.  Nothing more.

guns do still not protect humans.

Tell that to my cousin who used the gun in her purse to stop a man trying to  cuddly hug  and probably murder her.  That never made it onto the news or into the paper.  She didn't shoot the guy, but once he saw the gun, he took off.  These types of stories never make it to the media because it goes against the narrative that gun are evil.  No database exists that I ever heard of to document cases where guns have saved lives, but the anecdotal stories are all over the place if you only take the time to look. 

The fact of the matter is, guns are an equalizing force.  An 80 pound grandma can stop a 250 pound assailant if she is armed with a gun.

As for the murder stats you mention, there are 90 countries ahead of the United States, yet the US has the highest per capita gun ownership in the world.  If we are #1 in that stat, then by your logic we should be #1 in the murder rate.  Also, if you don't include suicide - the leading contributor to gun deaths in the US, nearly 3 times higher than the homicide rate - then the rank is much lower.  The homicide rate in this country is a societal problem, not a gun problem.

So because of this scenario you say guns are totally okay? Because they aren't, guns are not okay.
You don't need a gun to defend yourself. There exists this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper_spray
My sister said she had soemthing like this when she were in the USA to protect herself. This is totally sufficient. I see no reason why you couldn't pull this out and use it when you can magically do the trick with a gun. And don't give me the "They just look at it" answer. this is poor.

Even if guns help people in several situations, I just want make you to realize it is not okay to hand them easily to anyone.
You can get a gun in Germany as well, it's not like they are banned here for private uses. But it is better regulated and better observated as in the US in the moment. You have to get make a special training before you are even allowed to buy a weapon. And if you catched with a firearm without having a license the consequences are severe.

Also, I just cite this: "Intentional homicide, as defined by UNODC, is "unlawful death purposefully inflicted on a person by another person"
A suicide does not count in this scenario, so they don't affect the rating in any way. They clearly mean murder. So this is the right rank they stay at the moment, if you would include suicide they would be even higher (but I guess some other countries would shuffle as well including Germany).

Also, most countries that are above US are, well, this may sound harsh or racist, but they are underdeveloped and a lot more harsh than the US in general (or any nation that comes after them).

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 02:18:39 am »
Tell that to my cousin who used the gun in her purse to stop a man trying to  cuddly hug  and probably murder her.  That never made it onto the news or into the paper.  She didn't shoot the guy, but once he saw the gun, he took off.  These types of stories never make it to the media because it goes against the narrative that gun are evil.  No database exists that I ever heard of to document cases where guns have saved lives, but the anecdotal stories are all over the place if you only take the time to look. 

This is one I've heard before, and I dont believe it for a SECOND.  Not the bit about your cousin, I mean the bit about it "happening all the time" or whatever.  The general idea.

Why?  Because people like to hear about anything "sensational".  If a guy saves a freaking cat from a tree, it ends up on news sites.  Or saves a baby from, I dunno, a freaking.... dishwasher. I dunno, whatever, I havent had my caffiene yet so baby VS dishwasher will do for now.  Things like that end up on news sites.

PARTICULARLY with how derpy everyone is about guns right now, if there genuinely were alot of stories of people saving the day with the power of guns?  There'd be lots of stories of these things, because people love hearing about that stuff.  AND, because those that write up the stories who are also SUPPORTERS of guns wouldnt be able to bloody well shut up about it. 

But you might notice.... these reports dont happen.  They just dont.  EVER.   I can remember a couple this year.  Just a couple.  Wheras the gun VIOLENCE ones.... I swear, it's almost every single damn day.

(and here ends my specific response to the bit that you said, from here on is just me ranting a bit as I tend to)

And hell, people look at guns and say "but oh, I can protect my family with it", but nobody ever actually THINKS about this.  I mean actually, REALLY thinking about it.

One example: a family gets a gun for their home, for the usual reason of "protection" and whatever, right?  Well, one night, the mother is just home by herself, while her husband is away and the kids are... I dont remember where.  It's nighttime, she's in bed.  Suddenly, noises.  Lots of them.  Footsteps.  A crash, even.  More footsteps.  Someone's clearly coming.  She grabs the gun, and then the intruder appears in the doorway, BLAM.   .....she just shot and killed her husband. (EDIT: that one taken from an actual story, mind you.  I forget when exactly it happened, I *think* it was last year, and no, I'm not going to go look it up to provide "proof", I like to think that this isnt the sort of forum where I'm automatically not believed here...)  This isnt an uncommon type of situation.  People in this country tend to have this absolutely brain-melting assumption that guns automatically = protection and safety.  They ignore the inherant and very extreme levels of danger that merely HAVING one can bring.  Hell, it's not just gun VIOLENCE that's the problem.  There's also suicides (by guns, that the person may not have had as easy access to otherwise), or, even worse, accidental child deaths (if I have to explain this one to any of you, imagine me throwing a chair at you in exasperation).  These are ALSO very frequent.

But let's look at another example, yeah?

Again, someone gets a gun for their home.  Protection.  One night, they're attacked by ACTUAL criminals, not some case of mistaken identity.  These guys are basically thieves, thugs.  They're not murderers but they ARE hardened criminals... pretty tough guys with experience with this sort of thing.  Once it's realized that these guys are there, someone in the house, probably whoever bought the thing, pulls out the gun, waves it at the main guy.  Thinks this will stop him.  ....it doesnt.  What happened?  He ESCALATED it instead.  What might have ended in mere thievery and loss of some inanimate objects just took a VERY bad turn, because someone brought a weapon in that wasnt there before.  The main guy is now having a gun pointed at him; his perceptions of the situation have now changed, and if this is a genuine hardened criminal.... you can bet that "fear" isnt the direction he just went in.  In addition.... maybe the guy that nobody was really paying attention to (or one that nobody even NOTICED) suddenly ALSO reacts.... by drawing his own weapon.  He has WAY more than enough time to do one of two things:  1, threaten one of the other family members to get the one with the gun to drop it, or 2, simply shoot the one with the gun.  Again, these guys are hardened criminals.  Even if they're not murderers, chances are, they know how to aim, fire, and deal with weapons.  But the people that live there?  Waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too often, someone buys a gun.... and hasnt the foggiest goddamn clue how to use it, WHEN to use it, and understands NONE of the concepts that go not into weapons use, but the ideas of PROTECTING themselves or anyone at all.   Protection isnt as simple as just pulling out a weapon and waving it around.  There's more to it than that.  Get it wrong, and you, or someone else, could die.  And escalating a situation when it doesnt need to be escalated is NOT a good way to deal with it.    And hell, what if one of those criminals had already come in with a gun raised and pointed?  The idea, for him, would not have been "kill the people here" from the start, instead wanting to just threaten and control, but the very moment one of the family goes for the gun to save the day.... yeah.   That just became the intention, because suddenly there's a threat, a target that can do some serious damage.

When in reality, there's LOTS of other things the family could have done to protect their home and simply make it so that the guys couldnt get in there in the first place.  But nobody thinks of this.  They think "gun=safety" when the daily news says "good grief, what the hell is WRONG with you people? OF COURSE THEY'RE NOT SAFE, HERES SOME MORE DEAD SCHOOLKIDS FOR YOU". 

Oh.... and those shootings?  They happen BECAUSE of how easy guns are to get.  Some of those shootings happen because unstable wackos are able to buy the things, just like anyone else.  But some of them happen... and here we come to another example of why buying a gun for "protection" can be bloody stupid.... because they simply TAKE them from someone they know that did, genuinely, buy the damn thing for protection.... but didn't freaking THINK about it.  Again, "gun=protection" in their mind.... never "gun=danger" along with it.  So the gun itself isnt very secure.  The owner knows where it is, that's all they need, right?  Well, the crazed wacko ALSO knows where it is, and since the gun isnt secured and the owner is an idiot, the gun is simply stolen (no need to BUY one when it's just sitting there for you to take, eh?) and used for the shooting spree.  Because yet another person believed the guns=safety myth.

I mean, really.  I could, very seriously, keep this up all day, as I tend to be able to do when I latch onto something.  You wouldnt try to protect your house with a freaking land-mine, would you?  Sure.... it could stop a criminal.  But it could also kill you, kill a family member, kill a random innocent.... and so on.   Same with most other types of weapons.  Yet, because OMG GUNS, people IGNORE ALL OF THESE ISSUES when dealing with this one very specific type of weapon that has a TON of potential (and very, very probable) problems that nobody ever, ever thinks of. 

And above ALL of this, an overarching problem:  Most people that buy the damn things are NOT professionals.  They dont have *real* training.  It's one thing for a member of the military or of law enforcement to have a gun.  These people ARE trained.  And not just at some silly shooting range, because there's more to proper use of a weapon than just aiming and firing (another misled assumption).   But most people?  They have the assumption that, well, of COURSE none of those bad things happen to ME.  *I* will SURELY do it right.  I'm not like all those IDIOTS out there!

Probably, almost every one of the people whose weapons are involved in unintended incidents, or genuine accidents (like a child dying to a gun they found) thought EXACTLY like that when buying the thing.  Every one of them. They use thinking that doesnt come from real logic, but comes from what they hear from others, and what they hear from the media, and all of that.   These things tell them that these weapons are okay. That they're GOOD.  And then when the bad crap happens... these same idiots stand there, wondering.... where did they go wrong?  As if it's hard to figure out.

Ugh.

There, that's my mini-rant on that.   I dont actually follow any of this, mind you.  I know nothing, nothing at all, about politics.  I dont even know what "right-wing" means (no, seriouslly, I genuinely have no idea what the hell that means) and my knowledge of political ANYTHING only goes as far as being able to tell you who the current president is.  Ask me ANYTHING beyond that, and you'll either get a blank stare, or maybe I'll throw a thing on your foot at you (EDIT: ...what?)    Everything I say here, just like everything I say pretty much everywhere, comes to me from my own logic that hits me as I examine and read about these situations.   All I do is read what happens, note what people are saying about it, note how the arguements are going and what both sides are saying, and I just come up with my own logic.

And to me, the logic is just.... so freaking simple.  A weapon that does not exist cannot kill you or anyone else.  A weapon NOT in the hands of an IDIOT has a dramtically lower chance of ACCIDENTALLY killing others, or being TAKEN by others for evil purposes.  And preventing an altercation from happening in the FIRST place is dramatically preferrable to having it happen, and then needing to reach out for a weapon to defend yourself from those who have appeared, which may cause unintended effects (that, in fact, could include making you dead). 

....but nobody thinks of these things.   And it gives me a headache.

Frankly, I've often wondered just how we, here in the US, look to other countries.  Must look like damn fools half the time.  Sigh...    I personally am happy with this country MOST of the time, but then you get stuff like THIS at times, and just... ugh.   I just try not to think about it when I'm not randomly reading news articles in the morning.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, that's just my thoughts on it.  As negative or snappy or unpleasant as I might sound, please dont forget who it is writing this post here.   I usually sound like this.  I could talk about the nearby gas station and sound 3 times as opinionated and angry (damn stupid place, that, run by damn idiots....), so I hope nobody gets too bothered.

It's really all I'll say about it anyway.   Like I said, it's not something I directly follow or take all that much of an interest in.  But watching the topic here at least could be interesting.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 02:25:13 am by Misery »

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 02:49:58 am »
This is one I've heard before, and I dont believe it for a SECOND.  Not the bit about your cousin, I mean the bit about it "happening all the time" or whatever.  The general idea.
"American gun owners are far more likely to injure themselves or someone else with their firearm than to stop a criminal, according to a new study from a group calling for tighter gun control.

The study, released Wednesday by the Violence Policy Center, found there were 258 justifiable homicides involving civilians using firearms in 2012, compared with 8,342 murders by gun. Even if a criminal isn't shot down, the study found that civilians rarely use guns to protect themselves. "Intended victims of property crimes engaged in self-protective behavior with a firearm" only 0.1 percent of the times they were targeted by a crook."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/17/guns-self-defense-study_n_7608350.html

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 03:17:17 am »
"American gun owners are far more likely to injure themselves or someone else with their firearm than to stop a criminal, according to a new study from a group calling for tighter gun control.

The study, released Wednesday by the Violence Policy Center, found there were 258 justifiable homicides involving civilians using firearms in 2012, compared with 8,342 murders by gun. Even if a criminal isn't shot down, the study found that civilians rarely use guns to protect themselves. "Intended victims of property crimes engaged in self-protective behavior with a firearm" only 0.1 percent of the times they were targeted by a crook."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/17/guns-self-defense-study_n_7608350.html

Good grief, I didn't know that the statistics were THAT disparate.   That hits a level of being ridiculous.

I dont even want to know how the heck people keep reasoning that these damn things are a good idea.  Just.... what.   This just seems like incredibly basic logic to me that shouldnt exactly take a whole lot of thinking.

Those statistics are depressing.

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Y PzKpfw Tiger!
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 08:10:43 am »
Someone mentioned Germany? Yay!

As a German with a history fetish, I'll tell you that our lower crime rates are such because all the more aggressive, individualist and independent people, who make both better entrepreneurs and more likely criminals, emigrated to America. Germans, proving that some clichés are true, are a people of followers. Germans obey. It's a cultural thing. We also have next to no notion of individual responsibility. On the other hand, this collectivism and obedience does make for a more quiet, pacifist society. Until someone higher up tells us to go and grab some Lebensraum in the East, of course. History, history.

Personally, let's just say that if I didn't have family here I'd be offering to trade my place with an US-American any time. To me personally, individual responsibility, freedom, and the ability to protect me and mine are of far greater importance than someone else's liability to shoot himself in the foot, or criminals' propensity to commit crimes.

Maybe it's a matter of philosophy, personality or just plain circumstance? I grew up in the countryside, raised by Grandparents who suffered many personal losses and hardships in the war (-> pacifists), but also had a long line of excellent hunters and marksman to look back upon (-> affinity for weapons). With the way post-war German culture developed, the generation after them picked up on the pacifism and ignored the weapons. Bureaucratic and legal pressure, as well as old age, also had the war generation quit the hunting business and turn in their weapons. Another generation later and most of Germany is so thoroughly pacifist most people here don't see why we should even have a military or armed police, much less weapons for individuals. There's some refuge for gun owners in the strong shooting club traditions, but those are trying very hard to hide from the public eye, so membership is drying up there.

Anyways, there's always some flukes. I never bought into the whole total pacifism stick. If you're completely incapable of defending yourself or your interests as an individual or a group, then won't you be at the mercy of those who are?  If it weren't for my grandparents and my brother, my parent generation would've probably left me with no choice but to parrot the majority opinion that violence and the means thereto are bad under any circumstances. It's impossible to publicly voice anything to the contrary, but at least in private some people are more open or traditionalist on this subject.

Blah blah. What was I going for? I'm hopped up on way too much coffee right now; it's been a long week. Sorry about the rambling. I hope this personal perspective gave you some ideas of why Germany has such low crime rates, and low rates of gun-related misfortune especially. There's been massive efforts by the allied occupation to make the German system of eduction, the legislative and the executive drill it into everyone's heads that violence is bad, tools of violence are bad, and that it's better to be defenceless than to be dangerous. Looking back at WWII, I think you can see why the allies wanted to instil this thinking in Germans. And since this, in an obedient people, fell on fertile soil - it worked.

And sure, in a peaceful country like this it's rare that you need to defend yourself in any way. In a peaceful national neighbourhood like Germany's, surrounded by allies and with no enemies in the world, it's hard to argue that we need to protect ourselves from external threats. And since we never had a vaunted second amendment, a tradition of individualism or even just one of working democracy, much less of successful violent revolution, one can't really say that Germans would make political use of arms either.

But sod all of that.

I don't trust the police to protect me, the government not to abuse its power, our neighbours' neighbours not to harbour aggressive intentions, or those criminals we do have to be peaceful and rational people. I don't care about careless people who manage to hurt themselves with tools, no matter what those tools were meant for.

I want to be able to protect me and mine. I want to take responsibility for my safety, and leave it to no one else. If terrorists decide to shoot up a streetside café near me, I don't want to call the police, hide under a plastic table. If some psycho breaks into my house, I won't hope that he'll just grab some of my possessions and leave peacefully. If someone's beating up an old woman to get at her purse, which amazingly enough does happen here, should I just walk on an ignore it because eh, he might be stronger than me?

In many ways, it really is a matter of principle, personality and whatnot. I'd rather be armed and see arms misused than be disarmed and at the mercy of those who, with or without guns, still threaten to do violence.

Practically speaking though, who cares. I'm a country bumpkin with a distaste for high population density, with a locally atypical world view, who lives in a world of rapid urbanisation, rampant collectivism, ever-growing legislation on absolutely every aspect of life, in one of the most meekly obedient societies on this planet. My opinion does not matter. We're dying out and you all will get your gun control soon enough.

I'd rant for longer but I've a lecture coming up.
Please don't be offended by what I wrote; I know I can sound a little overly agitated when it comes to this subject...
The beatings shall continue
until morale improves!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2015, 08:22:40 am »
I'm a country bumpkin with a distaste for high population density

Hah, you're not the only one.

Bloody middle of nowhere myself.  I live way south of the city of Chicago, on what I always describe as "the boundary between civilization, and infinite grass".   And by "civilization" I mean "exactly one road that I find annoying, a mall, and some stores" which is about as exciting as it gets here.

The city itself, I refuse to enter.  NOT a pleasant place, and there IS alot of crime there.  Far as I'm concerned it's a hellhole and a murder factory, which is a term I came up with just now, I too have had too much caffiene.

I know some people prefer big cities over "middle of nowhere".   I tend to think they are missing a few screws.   But, I'm sure they think the same of me, so that works out well enough.  Balance is achieved.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk