Author Topic: After all this time, No Man's Sky finally releases....  (Read 33474 times)

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: After all this time, No Man's Sky finally releases....
« Reply #225 on: December 11, 2016, 06:59:40 am »
One thing that might help is looking up ways to level up faster... like, spell/skill combos and whatnot.  And general techniques to use when levelling.

I ended up re-creating my witch character, after realizing I'd made my first one in the Standard league, so I restarted in the Breach league (more mechanics=more interesting, breaches are entertaining/weird/profitable, among other things).  Instead of taking ages with it though, I tore through about 15 levels (or slightly more, I cant exactly remember, but it was at least 15) and Brutus in a couple of hours.  I'm not using a pre-made build either, that's boring (I tend to learn faster if I try and fail on my own).  Some general tips helped a lot though.  Like using this orb spell plus Spark to assist with clearing basic mobs (while always having a pile of zombies around).    Tears through piles of mobs pretty quick, and all it is, is a pair of skills... nothing had to be done on the passive tree.  It's just a "do stuff a bit faster" combo. 

Also helps a lot if you have an idea as to what to pick up and what to just ignore (and you'll end up ignoring MOST things).  Getting a loot filter can really help to learn that (is what I did).  There's videos and such about that too.   The "loot overload" aspect of the game is one of the most bloody confusing parts of it for new players, after all (certainly was in my case).  I mean, you punch like, one big skeleton, and this avalanche of helmets and gems and swords just flies all over the place.   I always wonder where they keep that stuff.

Helps also if you plan out your skill tree ahead of time.  There are sites for that.  Makes it less bloody confusing when you go to level up and cant remember where you were going or how you were going to get there.   

The big nasty part for me though is the vendor recipes.  Bloody strange mechanic.  Just.... ugh.  I aint gonna remember half of them.   The main one I can remember is the one to get Chromatic Orbs, so I've got a bunch of those now.

Not that I have a whole lot of any specific currency yet.  But then, I also aint using too much yet, so that works out well enough.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #226 on: December 11, 2016, 11:39:08 am »
Has there ever been a Hack and Slay RPG that was not totally overloaded with items? Because I cannot remember one. That is kind of a big aspect of these games, find a lot of stuff but because there are tons of items only a small amount of the stuff you find is useful.
The drop rate is pretty much that big because otherwise you would only get inferior stuff. Or you need big luck to get soemthign you really need.
Big drop rate means your chances of getting at least one useful item per map are bigger.

I think Breaches make  alot of things easier. Compareing the to Talisman, where you have a randomly appearing powerful monster and get a single semi-useful item, this time you face tons of weak monsters that drop tons of items, so your chance ofgetting stuff you need are also higher. And don't forget the tons of xp you get.
I got a lot of orbs, scrolls and other stuff. You don't have to save every last of them like in normal league, you can decide more often to reforge an item, even if it isn't that good. For example I got already around 5-7 chromatic orbs, so if I'm not happy with the sockets on an item, I reforge them to other colors.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #227 on: December 11, 2016, 07:28:18 pm »
Beat Merveill myself now, couldn't wait anymore since this is the last day of this weekend.
It was a lot easier this time, actualyl it was too easy to be honest. Maybe this build is too strong or I had too much luck with my items or mayber it is becasue Breach makes the game overall easier.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #228 on: December 11, 2016, 10:40:08 pm »
Has there ever been a Hack and Slay RPG that was not totally overloaded with items? Because I cannot remember one. That is kind of a big aspect of these games, find a lot of stuff but because there are tons of items only a small amount of the stuff you find is useful.
The drop rate is pretty much that big because otherwise you would only get inferior stuff. Or you need big luck to get soemthign you really need.
Big drop rate means your chances of getting at least one useful item per map are bigger.

I think Breaches make  alot of things easier. Compareing the to Talisman, where you have a randomly appearing powerful monster and get a single semi-useful item, this time you face tons of weak monsters that drop tons of items, so your chance ofgetting stuff you need are also higher. And don't forget the tons of xp you get.
I got a lot of orbs, scrolls and other stuff. You don't have to save every last of them like in normal league, you can decide more often to reforge an item, even if it isn't that good. For example I got already around 5-7 chromatic orbs, so if I'm not happy with the sockets on an item, I reforge them to other colors.

You'll get no complaints from me over the loot amount.... mostly I just find it moderately odd.   It's true that the genre throws stuff at you a lot, but I've never seen another game do it as much as this one.  I mean, you shoot one ghost or whatever with a deathray, and 20 shields, 7 swords, and a hat come flying out for no apparent reason.   They certainly have an interesting approach, but I'm just glad those filters are there.  Lots of little text blocks everywhere.

Though I think a huge part of it is just the satisfaction aspect: Who doesn't like seeing their screen fill up with possible goodies?

As for the breaches, they seem to get more interesting further on;  apparently they're really not all that great in the early game (particularly since they barely drop any of those splinters early on, which are apparently a major thing, though I'm not sure what exactly they are for).  Or that's what I read, anyway.   Strange things, though.  I've had a couple where it just flings this nearly overwhelming amount of things at me, and there was one in particular that farted out like, exactly three half-assed spiders, and then it just ran out of ideas.   I never did figure out what happened with that one, though I do remember the positioning of it made no sense (narrow area in the prison).

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #229 on: December 11, 2016, 11:27:41 pm »
You may have a point there. I maybe just shrugged it off because of Breach. After each breach the entire floor is littered with stuff, I press alt and my entire screen is filled with text.
I also haven't played Van Helsing ina long time and Diablo even longer (the first one that is, I don't have 3).

About items in general: PoE advertises itself with "Loot the game". Check the game descirbtion page (not on steam, on the actual site), they are proud that this game has even mor eitems than the usual stuff in this genre. They even managed to make skills and currencies into items. They really like their loot.

About Breaches: In geenral I like them because they are nice goodie bags. You open them and items pop out. They are also fairly easy to survive. I died once though in one of the later one. To one of this huge... spidery things you mentioned. Apperently in the later ones there drops at least one "mini boss" kind of enemy that drops some good items once you kill him, one is a splinter. I can guess that they will appear more frequently the deeper you are in the game. Since I just reached Act 2 I cannot say that much about it, hell, I never even was that far before in the game. Everthing that comes now will be a surprise for me.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #230 on: December 12, 2016, 02:08:30 am »
The big nasty part for me though is the vendor recipes.  Bloody strange mechanic.  Just.... ugh.  I aint gonna remember half of them.   The main one I can remember is the one to get Chromatic Orbs, so I've got a bunch of those now.

Not that I have a whole lot of any specific currency yet.  But then, I also aint using too much yet, so that works out well enough.
Unless you're minmaxing from the getgo, you really don't have to care much about vendor recipes. It's mostly for the endgame when you start crafting new gear for you. You'll go through mountains of currency doing that.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #231 on: December 12, 2016, 11:07:14 am »
I'm now very close to where I last got stuck. My build this time is a lot better and more stable at least that's what I think.
Currently level 15, very close to 16.
How far ahead are you?
Was busy most of yesterday, sorry. With the character who was at merveil (who I'd gotten there in a couple hours at most, act 1 isn't long), they're still there. My other guy is at lv65, and almost good for mapping.
So either slightly behind or incredibly ahead. Whats the name of your guy?

Edit: Also, the lightning/spiders/things breaches can be very deadly very quickly in merc. Bloody orbs.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 11:14:01 am by Aklyon »

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #232 on: December 12, 2016, 04:04:47 pm »
Character name is TrueVampire. I'm currently just at the start of Act 2. We can either do Merveil together or I wait until you killed her. Whatever you like.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #233 on: December 12, 2016, 08:22:32 pm »
I've got 479 hours logged in POE, but this was from a couple of year ago. There have been so many content updates since then that it's probably quite a different game now. I haven't even played since they changed the network code, the game used to desync quite a lot, but I believe that's been fixed now. I had a great time with it. You can do sooo much in terms of character builds, and that skill tree is insane. Great currency and potion systems. Some of the new perks in the SR Beta were inspired by POE -- those Power/Defense/Energy Orbitals are quite similar to something from POE, heh. ;)

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #234 on: December 13, 2016, 12:09:38 am »
Stop spoilering the SR Beta for me, now I want to play it even more. This update takes damn long.

On another side not to No Man's Sky (that's the game that kicked this topic off, remember?), I finally brought myself to buy a very similiar game that I had my eyes on in a long time. Subnautica. It's basically No Man's Sky in water.
I cannot say if it's better or worse as NMS but the genre is very similair and the gameplay is really fun. Except some parts that i will mention later.

Subnautica is still in Early Access and therefor not finished, you notice this in multiple points, mostly because the graphical options are shit, you can only set between good or bad but have no further options, for example shadows or lighting effects. The only other option is water, which makes up 90% of the game, so it is kind of given that they have at least an option for that to scale it up or down.

Anyway, in Subnautica a spaceship with tons of colonists or whatever they were, crashes on an aquatic planet, you can escape the wreck with your emergency lifepod but you are seemingly the only survivor left. What makes it even worse, your lifepod is very close to the wreck of the Aurora (the spaceship) and because of the sustained damage it sends out deadly radiation and it is only a matter of time until the whole area is radiated and you die. So basically you have to find a way to survive. On a planet full of water. No islands. Just water.

Sounds liek alot of fun, especially if you have a phobia of water. You start only with some rations but with no equipment (except an emergency fire extinguisher that you have to use right a the start because your lifepod is on fire). You have however a fabricator which is the only thing that somehow didn't break on your landing. This thing is basically the crafting bench of Subnautica, you can use it to fabricate literally anything 8as logn as you have the blueprints) from raw materials. Materials have to be collected of course underwater, at the start you can collect pieces of the Aurora wreckage and turn them into useful metal. You will also find Quartz crystals around your starting position that you can collect. these can be turned into glass. Combine glass and metall and you get an oxygen tank which you need to make longer dives in the water.
You will dive deeper in the world and start to collect various suff, your PDA gives you basic information about what to do next. You will craft a knife that allows you to collect plants and kill the maritine lifeforms, some are harmless, some are aggressive.
At some point you will craft the scanner, your most important tool in the game. This allows you to scan nearly anything, fishes, plants, even wreckage. Scanning stuff gives you more information about it but you may also unlock new blueprints (crafting recipes) for the fabricator. The broken pieces of the equipment from teh Aurora can be scanned and unlock the blueprint to it, for example you can unlock a seaglider if you scan it's broken remains that are scattered somewhere.

The survival aspect comes from basic needs, food and water, and of course the aggressive lifeforms you may encounter. Also the radiation of the Aurora that increases the closer you get to it.

Some aspects are however still annoying. First, needs. You have to drink each day which is realistically, but because you can only craft at the fabricator, you have always walk back to it to craft your rations there. There is no handcrafting whatsoever in the game. Water is somewhat simple to get compared to food. You have to eat so-called creepervines which are basically giants algaes that you can collect with your knife. These give around 3% of your food need, so you have to collect tons of them to get filled. And most often there are Stalkers, which attack you on sight.

Soem of the resources you need for starter items are hard to find. Crashfish powder can be found in caves which you don't know as new player And it will not spawn all the time, basically crash fish live in plant-like nests and if you get close the crash fish will rush out and explode at your face. In the nest you can find sometimes the powder but most often not. And you need the powder rigth at the start to get the repair tool, so you can repair your lifepod.

I think th emost annyoing part at the start is really that you have to swim all the time back to the lifepod to craft the next thing, then go out to find new stuff, swim back, craft and so on. This changes once you have a habitat build tool, because then you can create an underwater base and create your own fabricator. I recently reached that point and it feels very satisfying.

Base building int his game is simple, it's not block based like in Minecraft or Terraria, instead you have a buildign tool that allows you to select basic base parts, for example corridors, rooms etc. You can connect the different parts to your liking as long as they fit together, you can build simple bases or more complex ones and the corridor system allows you to place one part and enter the base and add other corridors and parts to the base without having to destroy anything. Every corridor you palce is an enclosed system that does not let any water in. You have to place of course a hatch to enter and it needs a power source to produce oxygen for you but once yo have it, you can place devices and furniture to your liking. Designing your base is really entertaining in this game.

The exploration aspect is somewhat limited because of the basic problem: You cannot hold your breath forever. Once you run out of oxygen you have to return to the surface or you drown. If you die during your exploration, you loose everything that you have collected until the last time you were in the base. Entering base sets a save point for your inventory, eerthing you have collected is then safe in your inventory, even if you die, but anything that you collect during your next travel will be insecure. It's a good system that pulls ideas from both aspects.
To make exploration easier you can craft tools and vehicles, the sea glider is the first one, it gives you a powered speed boost and allows you to travel faster as logn as it has enough power. Oxygen tanks and later even submarines help you to travel faster and deeper into the world.
There is currently no end game goal as far as I know but you can fidn the different lifepods that were scattered during the crash, int he world and find out more about the lore of the game. There are however no other humans besides you and the game has and will never have a multiplayer. The game wants that the player feels alone and has to survive on his own wits.

Also, the game looks AMAZING, the graphics and creature designs are well made.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #235 on: December 13, 2016, 02:30:51 am »
Stop spoilering the SR Beta for me, now I want to play it even more. This update takes damn long.

Yeah, it is, isn't it....   one issue is that some of us have just been overly busy lately, so that slows things down (given the season, I rather expected this might be the case).  Not to mention that even after a year of doing this, none of us are exactly experienced developers or anything, so that can lead to confusion (particularly in my case).  Not to mention that balancing things is bloody difficult... that can take awhile. 

We really do need to just get right down to it and put the bloody thing out.  There's not actually that much left to do on it and that build seems stable enough (probably).

Offline z99-_

« Reply #236 on: March 12, 2017, 01:14:21 pm »
So, apparently they released another major update, with relatively positive reviews (as one reviewer put it: "When the overall reviews go from overwhelmingly negative to mostly negative, you know they're doing something right!").

I don't own the game, but I'm curious to hear the opinions of those that have regarding the update. Is it things moving in the right direction, or too little too late? Or even, 'this is worse than what we had before'?

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #237 on: March 12, 2017, 01:59:22 pm »
Steamspy reports a massive jump in positive reviews (about 650) only a handful of negative ones (about 100 new ones) and a drop of about 65 older negative reviews (likely people that updated and changed their opinion).

Actual score didn't change that much:
Userscore: 33% Old userscore: 32%

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #238 on: March 12, 2017, 02:28:10 pm »
Most people I know that play the game say that the last release is actually pretty good. So if you're a fan of open world snoredom simulators where you visit slightly different worlds over and over and over, this might actually be worth picking up now.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #239 on: March 13, 2017, 05:44:34 pm »
What exactly is this new update?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk